!!!THE PSYCHOLOGY OF FREE STUFF!!!!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

OP
OP
Battlecorals

Battlecorals

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I have mixed feelings about frags as freebies. Like on the one hand, it's a very generous gesture.

But for someone like me, who only has one aquarium, does not have room or money for a second one, and already has very specific plans with regards to what corals I will have, where each one will go, and what look I want the tank to achieve as it matures, a free frag can be a mixed blessing. I mean I would never let a coral just die, but when I never had any plans in place for it, it can become an issue.

So I think it's a very kind thing, and no one has any good reason to complain about a free ***, keep in mind that for reefers like me, it can be just as much of an inconvenience as a blessing.

That is a super valid point! I mean if you are having to be selective as it is, and space is limited, blah and whatever type freebies will only muddy up an otherwise hand picked display. Totally with you on that one.

Mael

Bridgeburner
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
of course, you could offer those freebies to a fellow local reefer when you dont have room. Ive done it before with packs that came with freebies of particular coral i had already or just didnt have room for, just brought it to the next group meeting and a fellow reefer was very happy.

OP
OP
Battlecorals

Battlecorals

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
of course, you could offer those freebies to a fellow local reefer when you dont have room. Ive done it before with packs that came with freebies of particular coral i had already or just didnt have room for, just brought it to the next group meeting and a fellow reefer was very happy.

Right on man. Very cool of you!

Denisk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I definitely agree with you here! For someone to be unhappy about a free coral, outright shocked me. Im not surprised to see that there would be those who isn't happy about getting something free. Seems a bit crazy but honestly why not go and gift that coral to someone else. Isn't this hobby about much more than just yourself. I've met some incredible people in this hobby who have helped me become the reefing guy I am. I also have met some that have no budget and can get anything their mind chooses and those who wouldn't stop thanking me if I gave them a free frag. So for those of you who don't want a free frag, send them my way and I'll happily donate them to someone through my local reef forum or Craigslist ;). You'll be amazed how you can change someone's day about a freebie. No matter what, we should all be appreciative. It's not always about making an extra buck.

OP
OP
Battlecorals

Battlecorals

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I definitely agree with you here! For someone to be unhappy about a free coral, outright shocked me. Im not surprised to see that there would be those who isn't happy about getting something free. Seems a bit crazy but honestly why not go and gift that coral to someone else. Isn't this hobby about much more than just yourself. I've met some incredible people in this hobby who have helped me become the reefing guy I am. I also have met some that have no budget and can get anything their mind chooses and those who wouldn't stop thanking me if I gave them a free frag. So for those of you who don't want a free frag, send them my way and I'll happily donate them to someone through my local reef forum or Craigslist ;). You'll be amazed how you can change someone's day about a freebie. No matter what, we should all be appreciative. It's not always about making an extra buck.

Very well said my friend thank you for the post! I don't know if i have even more excited about coral to this day even, as a I was when I got my first few pieces free from Philstone many years ago. Green slimer and some caps.

|FATHOM|

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I remember I was making a coral run from Los Angeles to Orange country. I had 3 stops, 2 LFS and my friend's house for some trades. Around this time I had a free stuff thread posted on socal reefs. One person, trunglippo, replied to my thread saying that he wished I was closer. I noticed he was in orange county and offered to drop off some palys and clove polyps that I had. I tell him that I will be at his place around 1. I call and he says hes not home just to leave it on the porch. I do. I ride home and when I get there I notice he texted me right away ( he was home the whole time). He basically complains that the rocks had a bunch of fireworms when he dipped. Then sends me a full tank shot with all these corals and nems in his tank

It was really off putting and it made me not want to give out free stuff anymore. Fortunately this was the only time I have dealt with a manner-less ingrate. I got over it and continue to give out free stuff. I agree that it can be very disappointing but the people that complain about free stuff are miserable and just looking for a excuse to complain.

Steve Ruddy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love free stuff from vendors. It shows me the vendor cares and wants to show their appreciation for my business. If I don't like or can't use the item I have something that I can give to someone else and it's always appreciated. It's amazing how some can react negatively to free stuff. Luckily these folks are in the minorety.

Thank you Adam for the freebies! It is certainly appreciated and a real pleasure that you put customer service first!

OP
OP
Battlecorals

Battlecorals

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I love free stuff from vendors. It shows me the vendor cares and wants to show their appreciation for my business. If I don't like or can't use the item I have something that I can give to someone else and it's always appreciated. It's amazing how some can react negatively to free stuff. Luckily these folks are in the minorety.

Thank you Adam for the freebies! It is certainly appreciated and a real pleasure that you put customer service first!

Right on Steve! Thanks for the post!

Braves Fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree Steve :) When I place a order with a vendor or a fellow reefer,, I max my budget in order to get the most corals I can with my budget at the time,, and too get the max value for my shipping $$$ that I can,,, when I get a freebie coral,,, well,,, doesn't get much better than that,,, that freebie coral usely ends up being my favorite coral in the tank :) vendors that put a free one in the box,,, always get at least a second order from me ,,, ones that don't,,, well,,, guess I shouldn't say this,,, they better have something I really can't live without lol

Sandroni

Professional Coral Bleacher
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Always appreciated. I get so happy when I see a little mystery frag!! IMO brings in business, I just read this the other day on you site and I really liked the break down/ explanation. :p

OP
OP
Battlecorals

Battlecorals

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Always appreciated. I get so happy when I see a little mystery frag!! IMO brings in business, I just read this the other day on you site and I really liked the break down/ explanation. :p

Very cool of you man! Thanks a lot for the post

OP
OP
Battlecorals

Battlecorals

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I remember I was making a coral run from Los Angeles to Orange country. I had 3 stops, 2 LFS and my friend's house for some trades. Around this time I had a free stuff thread posted on socal reefs. One person, trunglippo, replied to my thread saying that he wished I was closer. I noticed he was in orange county and offered to drop off some palys and clove polyps that I had. I tell him that I will be at his place around 1. I call and he says hes not home just to leave it on the porch. I do. I ride home and when I get there I notice he texted me right away ( he was home the whole time). He basically complains that the rocks had a bunch of fireworms when he dipped. Then sends me a full tank shot with all these corals and nems in his tank

It was really off putting and it made me not want to give out free stuff anymore. Fortunately this was the only time I have dealt with a manner-less ingrate. I got over it and continue to give out free stuff. I agree that it can be very disappointing but the people that complain about free stuff are miserable and just looking for a excuse to complain.

Yikes yeah that has to rub you wrong. no gratitude whatsoever

OP
OP
Battlecorals

Battlecorals

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Old write-up indeed, and maybe I'm getting lazy or too busy or a little of both to come up with some new content, but I'd love to hear some fresh thoughts on this one. Good, or not so good.

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Put in the camp that loves free stuff! If it is something I dont want or dont have room for I can always pass it on to someone else. Like from some vendors getting a 1-head basic favia frag as a freebie I am more likely to give it away to a fellow hobbyist or the LFS than keep it, but still appreciate the gesture. In your scenario where you are sending the coral you are growing out there really is not any "junk" so it is even more appreciated. Only ordered from BC once so far, but on the top of my list of places I have bought from because of the large quality frags and good communication.... but the freebies certainly helped.

As far as freebies making up for DOA I have mixed feelings about it. If I order 5 specific frags from you and you send me 7, but one or two of the ones I really wanted and specifically ordered are DOA then I would probably see if I can get a replacement for free (would probably buy a small battlebox to go along with it to make shipping worth it!). On the other hand if I buy a 25pc battlebox and you send me 30 I certainly wont be complaining if I have a few or 5 DOA in the order.

Maybe I should buy a 25pc battlebox.....

volivier

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As someone who had a nasty Dino outbreak (due to hybrid pwdr blue killing off most of its tank mates) right after I had my order shipped.
I appreciate the willingness to work with me on a replacement order in the future (hopefully).
a free coral is great with my order and it’s like getting flowers delivered to me.
Sorry for the ramble post,
1. Free is like getting a gift you didn’t expect.
2. Adam has always been willing to work with me if I have an unexpected event happen in my tank.
3. What was the question??? Adam is a great person to buy from, period!!

Snuggs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Right this is kind of what i was touching on. Even if a free piece is something extraordinary I think its just human nature to see it as "less valuable". And perhaps that simply because we have nothing vested in it. Makes perfect sense to me actually. "easy come, easy go" essentially.
Oh but the freebie sent with my order is valuable to me

Joe's 220 Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my opinion the freebee holds significant value. The coral itself is always a complete gem (from battlecorals) and many other vendors also treat you well. But I always think that rather than the coral itself it is a symbol that the business honestly appreciates you as a customer. They did not need to send it to you and in fact it actually costs them extra weight in shipping and space in their valuable tanks where every open section means money. It also reminds me that the seller is also a hobbiest who values the coral enough to send it to you for free as a symbol of their business. Unfortunately some people become to just too accustomed to it and they start to get unfairly judgmental. As a token of appreciation to those vendors that have given me freebies, I tend to return as a repeat customer as a way of saying thank you!

tehmadreefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Old write-up indeed, and maybe I'm getting lazy or too busy or a little of both to come up with some new content, but I'd love to hear some fresh thoughts on this one. Good, or not so good.
Freebies are good except for invasive softies that one finds in most freebie or mystery cork packs. Don’t be that vendor...

Anirban

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Freebies are good except for invasive softies that one finds in most freebie or mystery cork packs. Don’t be that vendor...
He doesn't sell softies only SPS. He is possibly one of those rare vendor who goes far beyond to help his each customer. He has a vision about the hobby and he tries to stick to it.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 68 52.3%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 67 51.5%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 33 25.4%
  • None.

Votes: 29 22.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.9%
Back