The Psychology of Reefing, Part 2 , "The therapeutic effect"

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Psychology of Reefing, part 2 "The therapeutic effect".

un-58-896x580.jpg

Expanded upon the first article "The Psychology of Reefing" that I wrote some time ago, there are other emotions and physical effects that we go through keeping an aquarium in our homes, that is just as important and touches upon a wide variety of emotions, feelings and physical effects. This is an expansion of that and is needed to be talked about.

The therapeutic effect.

tn_image037_jpg.jpg

Our daily lives are full of stress, requirements of us. Be work, family or friends, even our own mental health and physical well-being coming into play with this. All of us are fully aware of what is placed on our minds and bodies everyday. It can be very overwhelming at times. Also what happens to others around us, be it friends and family, the daily news or financial burdens can have a toll on us all.

Many of us are constantly seeking for some peace and escape from reality. To forget about all of it. A place to ease our minds, a place to relax and meditate, even if it's temporary for short periods of time.

A reef tank can be that escape!

Be honest with ourselves, we all have sat for hours at a time staring at our little world's we have created in wonder. Amazed at the fact that we have this world in our homes. A living ecosystem totally reliant on us to care for. We did this. It's a extension of ourselves and it can have a effect on others in our homes as well. But it's much more than that......

The therapeutic effect our tanks give us is well documented.

PTSD-treatment.jpg

There have been numerous clinical studies done over the decades on how our aquariums heal us. Reduced anxiety, lowered blood pressure, reduced heart rates, reduced stress, over all improvement in ones sense of well being, reduced depression....the list goes on and on. Just Google "the aquarium therapeutic effect" to see the results for yourself. There's a lot out there.

It can literally save our lives too. Wayne Scott a combat veteran who spoke at Macna 2016 with a very moving speech, on how keeping a reef saved his life and gave him purpose after trying to adjust to civilian life. Worth every minute to watch.

PTSD is a real and damaging condition. It can be from combat as our veterans can full attest to, or individuals in civilian life that have experienced tragedy and live with it everyday. Our reefs can help though "the aquarium therapeutic effect". I have personally read countless stories of military veteran reefers telling of how their reefs have helped them, having better lives. Their stories are humbling and very powerful.

As a veteran myself, I can fully appreciate their selfless giving to our nation. They are all my brothers and sisters for life and beyond. Thank you.

People of all walks of life, rich or poor benefit from having a reef. Some have disabilities and health issues that having a reef help them cope with life. Their stories are as moving and inspirational to us all. I can personally relate to this as I too cope with health issues. My tank helps me each and everyday, keeping me focused, giving a sense of peace and relaxation. It's been very helpful after a long day at work and place to escape.

They are everywhere!

royal-childrens-hospital-aquarium4.jpg

I know you have seen aquariums virtually any where at sometimes in your life. Doctors offices, dental offices, hospitals and children's hospitals...etc. Why? They give a sense of peace to those going through stress, injury, disease and healing. A place to let go and forget about what they are going through, if only temporary. Health professionals know this "effect" on their patients and spend the money placing these systems in their facilities for this reason. As with other studies done on this subject, there have been studies in this area as well and back up this "effect".

Public aquariums have millions of visitors each year. Aside of the effect of wonder and amazement, there has been studies including the therapeutic effect on visitors. Again for the reasons I've stated, sense of peace and a calming effect. The pull and effect the ocean has on our minds and well being in a building that we can go and experience, has this effect on us. It can be very powerful and long lasting.

I have personally seen businesses that have nothing to do with the hobby, have a tank. Restaurants in particular. I personally ask to be seated as close to their tank as possible when can, but of course I'm a hobbyist, but it's so peaceful to eat close to the tank! Lol

And once again, in our homes.....

DSC_0017.JPG

The aquarium hobby, fresh and saltwater has millions and millions of hobbyists world wide. That includes ponds. There are good reasons for this and one of the big ones is "The aquarium therapeutic effect"!

So even if you haven't thought about it, hasn't even crossed your mind, your tank is helping you with your mental and physical well being and quite possibly those around you. It's a very good thing!

Live long and reef! Fins up!

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Great stuff! Thanks for sharing this, Don!

RevMH

Happy Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Psychology of Reefing, part 2 "The therapeutic effect".

un-58-896x580.jpg

Expanded upon the first article "The Psychology of Reefing" that I wrote some time ago, there are other emotions and physical effects that we go through keeping an aquarium in our homes, that is just as important and touches upon a wide variety of emotions, feelings and physical effects. This is an expansion of that and is needed to be talked about.

The therapeutic effect.

tn_image037_jpg.jpg

Our daily lives are full of stress, requirements of us. Be work, family or friends, even our own mental health and physical well-being coming into play with this. All of us are fully aware of what is placed on our minds and bodies everyday. It can be very overwhelming at times. Also what happens to others around us, be it friends and family, the daily news or financial burdens can have a toll on us all.

Many of us are constantly seeking for some peace and escape from reality. To forget about all of it. A place to ease our minds, a place to relax and meditate, even if it's temporary for short periods of time.

A reef tank can be that escape!

Be honest with ourselves, we all have sat for hours at a time staring at our little world's we have created in wonder. Amazed at the fact that we have this world in our homes. A living ecosystem totally reliant on us to care for. We did this. It's a extension of ourselves and it can have a effect on others in our homes as well. But it's much more than that......

The therapeutic effect our tanks give us is well documented.

PTSD-treatment.jpg

There have been numerous clinical studies done over the decades on how our aquariums heal us. Reduced anxiety, lowered blood pressure, reduced heart rates, reduced stress, over all improvement in ones sense of well being, reduced depression....the list goes on and on. Just Google "the aquarium therapeutic effect" to see the results for yourself. There's a lot out there.

It can literally save our lives too. Wayne Scott a combat veteran who spoke at Macna 2016 with a very moving speech, on how keeping a reef saved his life and gave him purpose after trying to adjust to civilian life. Worth every minute to watch.

PTSD is a real and damaging condition. It can be from combat as our veterans can full attest to, or individuals in civilian life that have experienced tragedy and live with it everyday. Our reefs can help though "the aquarium therapeutic effect". I have personally read countless stories of military veteran reefers telling of how their reefs have helped them, having better lives. Their stories are humbling and very powerful.

As a veteran myself, I can fully appreciate their selfless giving to our nation. They are all my brothers and sisters for life and beyond. Thank you.

People of all walks of life, rich or poor benefit from having a reef. Some have disabilities and health issues that having a reef help them cope with life. Their stories are as moving and inspirational to us all. I can personally relate to this as I too cope with health issues. My tank helps me each and everyday, keeping me focused, giving a sense of peace and relaxation. It's been very helpful after a long day at work and place to escape.

They are everywhere!

royal-childrens-hospital-aquarium4.jpg

I know you have seen aquariums virtually any where at sometimes in your life. Doctors offices, dental offices, hospitals and children's hospitals...etc. Why? They give a sense of peace to those going through stress, injury, disease and healing. A place to let go and forget about what they are going through, if only temporary. Health professionals know this "effect" on their patients and spend the money placing these systems in their facilities for this reason. As with other studies done on this subject, there have been studies in this area as well and back up this "effect".

Public aquariums have millions of visitors each year. Aside of the effect of wonder and amazement, there has been studies including the therapeutic effect on visitors. Again for the reasons I've stated, sense of peace and a calming effect. The pull and effect the ocean has on our minds and well being in a building that we can go and experience, has this effect on us. It can be very powerful and long lasting.

I have personally seen businesses that have nothing to do with the hobby, have a tank. Restaurants in particular. I personally ask to be seated as close to their tank as possible when can, but of course I'm a hobbyist, but it's so peaceful to eat close to the tank! Lol

And once again, in our homes.....

DSC_0017.JPG

The aquarium hobby, fresh and saltwater has millions and millions of hobbyists world wide. That includes ponds. There are good reasons for this and one of the big ones is "The aquarium therapeutic effect"!

So even if you haven't thought about it, hasn't even crossed your mind, your tank is helping you with your mental and physical well being and quite possibly those around you. It's a very good thing!

Live long and reef! Fins up!
Wow, thank you for sharing. Very interesting.

ZoWhat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I remember hearing on the radio that on avg a person's heartrate drop 10-15 beats per minute sitting in front of a tank.

I'm still trying to get my spouses to "0"... lol. Insurance money, MORE corals!!!

Of course us reefers... our heartbeats jumps to 180 when we see our prized coral half dead for the first time that day....

OP
OP
F

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you one and all! It's a subject that isn't talked about a whole lot here. We as hobbyist lament over "the small stuff" at times and is completely understandable, especially when things go wrong. One thing is for certain, we all want to do the best for the animals we keep. It's a main reason for the forum, a place to discuss the finer points of keeping a reef, share our experiences, good or bad and even ask for help or a higher view point.

What it does for us is often overlooked because of these points. Take some time and just soak in what it is and how you feel about your tank today. The other day when the lights where on in my tank and I was spent from work, I was just sitting starring at it and said "man, it's beautiful". Made me feel good inside! Escape!

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

That thread is 100% a model of intrinsic locus of control vs extrinsic

Full responsibility was taken for invasion, disease and loss vs reacting to external ups and downs, happenstance, which is pretty much every other mode of reefing we know

Pro action is an intrinsically motivated choice it’s the ultimate in responsibility

External locus of control is set it, refuse to touch it, see what happens, react in measures, and refuse to do what Jon did even with evidence showing this can save a reef. We have been taught such fear and consequence in the hobby for having accessed a reef for guiding

External locus of control is you spending money to buy a doser to react to reef problems, then waiting to see if it helps. Jon took measures that turn his tank around from packed with waste to no waste in one weekend

Internal locus of control reefing is pure resolve and execution, what Jon did

it’s the banishment of hesitation from the hobby. Jon has taken full control over his reef before a stimulus provoked a partial response

That attitude could change reefing, and kill less animals. It’s at the top of the reeftank behavioral hierarchy, for sure

Last edited:

S2G

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

That thread is 100% a model of intrinsic locus of control vs extrinsic

Full responsibility was taken for invasion, disease and loss vs reacting to external ups and downs, happenstance, which is pretty much every other mode of reefing we know

Pro action is an intrinsically motivated choice it’s the ultimate in responsibility

External locus of control is set it, refuse to touch it, see what happens, react in measures, and refuse to do what Jon did even with evidence showing this can save a reef. We have been taught such fear and consequence in the hobby for having accessed a reef, it has worked out very well for retailers.

External locus of control is you spending money to someone else to react, then you wait and evaluate but cannot be sure

Internal locus of control reefing is pure resolve and execution, it’s the banishment of hesitation from the hobby. Jon has taken full control over his reef before a stimulus provoked a half response. This attitude could change reefing, and kill less animals. It’s the top of someone’s hierarchy, of that I’m sure lol

Google translate didn't recognize which language this is.

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You had the ability to use google to read up on external vs internal locus of control before commenting, but didn’t, those are fair measures for any psych discussion.

with initiative it would make sense how completely cleaning out your reef where buildup has occurred and getting it strong and low on waste can ensure future health vs letting tanks go downhill while slowly working in hesitating steps. Proactive vs reactive is big in the world of psychology, it affects how we reef and enjoy our investments

setting ones self up for success by initiative stands out when I see it-wanted you to see the work example from someone who ensures reef enjoyment by being proactive vs reactive

Last edited:

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Belief systems that change nearly 180 degrees every few decades are major market drivers during their accepted phase. Reef tank psychology is a major motivator for recommended purchases

The implied consequence of failed cycling is huge and a purely psychological driver for the retail market.

That one can stall or stop a cycle by minor mistake...offsets for that perception are found online and at lfs for sale. The way to fix a claimed stalled cycle is to buy something, usually more bottle bac.

Using guesstimate test kits to infer what bacteria cannot tolerate is selling bottle bac in droves, transfer of cash leaving pockets en masse, unnecessarily
I think people are capitalizing on false microbiology beliefs rampant in the hobby

Bottle bac have a place in reefing I've used tetra before (does fw and marine from same bottle)

But the rate of use is entirely overdone, applied where not needed (such as true live rock reef starts, never requires bottle bac) and the cause of this mass run on bottle bac is groupthink and articles that name many ways one can stall a cycle, this is an inferred consequence I think is false.

hope to build enough work examples to push back on the establishment trying to sell us bac when bac are already present. someone out there has created a belief system about cycling worth challenging.

Last edited:

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I remember hearing on the radio that on avg a person's heartrate drop 10-15 beats per minute sitting in front of a tank.
Sometimes mine has the opposite effect. :D;Hilarious

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
when i work for two hours to balance an aquascape and then it falls right before I leave to work with no more adjust time, knowing its in disarray all day awaiting my return home makes me feel:

A. irritable
B. angry
C. anxious
D. nervous
E. all bad

tallcamera2020

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for posting the article. I definitely enjoyed reading it.

I grew up around fish tanks and I definitely feel calm and relaxed. I think working on the tanks relaxes me because I’m focused on the task at hand and it’s very rare that I feel stressed out. I can’t wait til I get my tank set up in my bedroom.

OP
OP
F

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for posting the article. I definitely enjoyed reading it.

I grew up around fish tanks and I definitely feel calm and relaxed. I think working on the tanks relaxes me because I’m focused on the task at hand and it’s very rare that I feel stressed out. I can’t wait til I get my tank set up in my bedroom.

Your welcome!

Bxr126

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great write up. Thank you.
I suffer from PTSD. My symptoms are minor compared to some of my brothers and sisters, but it does cause me a great deal of anxiety. I can’t sit still. I always have to be doing something. It’s not something that I choose. I just cannot stop. I wish I could sometimes, but it is what it is. For me, the therapeutic benefits are not so much about sitting and admiring the tank. Although that is a big part of it. For me, it is the constant challenge and the quest for improving the system and the environment that keeps my mind occupied. Given that reefs thrive on stability, at one point I was thinking that this hobby may not be for me. Recent successes have changed my mind and now I am feeling very confident that this may be the medicine that I need.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 33 34.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 20 20.6%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 9.3%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 6 6.2%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 26 26.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.1%
Back