The real power of GHL profilux software

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Lucas815

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
statement of crappy software or interface is a huge difference
Software is a broad and generic term that doesn't mean much by itself. It refers pretty much to everything that runs on a computing device.
  • The UI/UX is software (front end)
  • The database is software
  • The coding to do actual stuff is software. (Back end)
  • The mean to connect to the system is software.
  • The capabilities of the system is software.
When you are referencing to "software" and then explaining what it means to you, you are actually talking about the capabilities of the software.

95% of the complaints I read on these boards and in Facebook groups is about UI/UX, not the capabilities.

It's great and all that you documented the special use case where GHL was helpful to you, but I think you missed what people are actually complaining about.

Lucas815

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also believe that Europeans and North Americans customers have different expectations, needs and mindsets.

North American customers value ease of use and automation above everything. We're probably just lazy, but we can't be bothered to learn hard stuff :p

I cannot really speak for Europeans because I don't know that demographic much, but my perception is that they don't care as much for ease of use, and actually take pride in learning to do hard things.

Scdell

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Software is a language for humans to talk to computers.

Wasabiroot

Valonia Slayer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also believe that Europeans and North Americans customers have different expectations, needs and mindsets.

North American customers value ease of use and automation above everything. We're probably just lazy, but we can't be bothered to learn hard stuff :p

I cannot really speak for Europeans because I don't know that demographic much, but my perception is that they don't care as much for ease of use, and actually take pride in learning to do hard things.
Based take. See: BMW UI from the early 2000s. There is definitely a higher appreciation for intricate solutions.

Macca_75

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 20c worth is it would be great if GHL could listen to what their community/customers wanted out of the software.

I have a few points that would make "it" easier to use (GCC, MYGHL, etc). One of my biggest wishes from a usability perspective is Descriptions.

We can set Descriptions for everything - make Description (name) mandatory when configuring anything let use use the description to configure the software.

If I setup Timer 1 to do something force a Description Then refer to the Description (we should filter out anything that doesn't have a description) when trying to use that item (ie. assigning a timer to a socket, you don't select Timer 1 - you select based on Description).

I am aware that descriptions are not saved on the Profilux itself, so it may be there isn't enough NVRAM to do this. But txt (even if everything is compressed into 1 file and read/written) shouldn't be huge amounts of bytes.

OP
OP
Lasse

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Its funny because if it comes to aquarium and starting aquarium, getting fish and corals the common thoughts here at R2R is that people need to read and get knowledge about the things they get. However - if it comes to advanced technical devices that's the brain in a life supporting system - it should be working direct from the box and do not need any learning curve at all. I have no problem with the interfaces of GHL - the GCC is logical and if you want to read about it - there is tons of documentation how to use it. When I started with profilux around 2009 - i had to learn by using it and read the manuals. For me - the reliability and versatility the most important things - how to use it - I will learn during time. And I think it is very important to learn how your technical live supporting system work because if there is something I have learned through the years is that sooner or later technical equipment breaks down.

Am I crazy or are people blowing some of this thread way out of proportion? I'm sure no insult was intended to anyone.
@Lasse, I am curious - would you replicate this undergravel filter methodology in future builds to help control pH? Would be interesting to see an old filter style that has largely fallen out of favor see some renewed attention, if purely for experimental purposes.

In one or another way - yes - but this is the last build I´ll do for myself

I am aware that descriptions are not saved on the Profilux itself, so it may be there isn't enough NVRAM to do this. But txt (even if everything is compressed into 1 file and read/written) shouldn't be huge amounts of bytes.
Profilux store - for most parameters - 14 characters in the internal memory. Not for PL. I´m with you that better ability to do own descriptions would be a good thing but I´m not sure that´s easy to do that - especially not in the drop down menus.

Sincerely Lasse

OP
OP
Lasse

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's great and all that you documented the special use case where GHL was helpful to you, but I think you missed what people are actually complaining about.
This thread is titled The real power of GHL software and the first post contain two examples of use that contradict the statement that it is a crappy software. This was the content of the first post. Not about people complaining about this and that. Some seems to take this first post as an insult and start post a lot of complains about GHL:s different interfaces. Its my thread and I must have the right to defend my standpoints.

If some of your suggestions in post 27 will be done by GHL - I probably will look for another system - especially if they start with automatic FW updates through internet. It works for pure technical products but definitely not for a brain in a life supporting system. The same will happen if GCC and the internal web page disappear and the only possible connections are through mY GHL.

Sincerely Lasse

Macca_75

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Profilux store - for most parameters - 14 characters in the internal memory. Not for PL. I´m with you that better ability to do own descriptions would be a good thing but I´m not sure that´s easy to do that - especially not in the drop down menus.

Sincerely Lasse
The software is the easy bit - if they could store the 14 chars on the system the software just reads it back into an array, filters out any <null> entries and displays what's left.

I suspect the harder bit would be storing the field IN the Profilux and not the software (in case you use multiple PC's, MyGHL, etc). It would need to be written/stored/read from the device by the software.

OP
OP
Lasse

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After playing around with nominal values, pause´s and pulse´s I get back to nearly the same settings as I had in my first post - and it still works - the curves for the last 24 hours

1644403922966.png

and for the last 48 hours. Interesting to see that the system adapt to different condition and goes back to a stable ORP between 164 - 165 mV

1644404182812.png

Sincerely Lasse

BeanAnimal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had to laugh... the software we use for AR, AP, PO's and SO's (sales orders). Plus quoting, inventory, etc. Old as dirt, but extremely powerful. Corp is looking into new enterprise software to upgrade all 5 sites. They are spending ridiculous money on this, plus it's cloud based. 3 year rollout!
1643229811714.png
LoL is that Steel Plus? (sorry to drag this thread up, but I had to it ran on COBOL - even the new CAPSTONE version runs on Iron COBOL ;))

Last edited:

Raul-7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Compared to the Neptune Apex, how easy is it to setup custom programming on outlets like Defer, Fallback, If statements, etc.?

OP
OP
Lasse

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fallback - no coding - just decide the default state here. In this case outlet 13 - 15 and 17-18 fallback to on state and 16 to of stage if there is no connection with the brain.

1702376125276.png

If you want a delay in start after lost connection with the brain - you change here - no coding either

1702376491902.png

The defer coding - there is a pre-defined program to use - the delay on and delay off

1702376684510.png

For level control there is predefined programs to use

1702376902152.png

Level sensor control

1702377061582.png

If statement - predefined program too

As an example controlling my heater

1702377296273.png

How temp 1 should react - in the temp 1 definition

1702377514654.png

1702377575193.png

1702377661699.png

1702377734652.png

1702377812798.png

As it is now you can´t program an outlet to be on/off depended on another outlets state but you can program an outlet to be inverted to the function of another outlet. As an example - you want you refugium light going on when your main light is of - use a illumination run for the main light (in this case ill 1) but for the refugium - you make it inverted

1702378220431.png

Its a different way of thinking - could be difficult to switch but IMO - its easier compare with coding

Sincerely Lasse

Raul-7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wish they would add custom lines like the Apex. I like the quality of products on the GHL Profilux [had a Profilux 2] but the programming is a lot more complex than it needs to be.

Last edited:

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 31.1%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 23.6%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 20 18.9%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 26.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back