The rebuild..... 375 supersized/700 gallons total!

am3gross

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
OK everyone, long story short. Currently set up is a 375 display, 75 gallon sump and a 40 gallon fuge. You can see the original build thread in my profile. I cant keep anything alive except fish and some zoas. So I am tearing it all down. Going to move it and restart it in a different room. (Maybe I scared them to often being in the bedroom!!!) So to the living room where it goes. This time around I am converting the garage into the "fish room" will just on the other side of the wall that the tank will sit. I will have all equipment's in the garage so there is minimal sound coming from the living room. In the garage I have a 300 gallon stock tank that will be the sump. above that I will have a 50 gallon stock tank that will house the skimmer. To the left of that will be a 75 gallon fuge. to the right of the 50 gallon stock tank will be a 75 gallon frag tank. Total possible water volume is 875 gallons, minus of course the tanks wont be 100 percent full, rock work etc, probably somewhere in the neighborhood of 550-600 gallons of water. I am hoping that by moving and resetting everything up I can go thru the system and check and see if there is anything that stands out that is causing the SPS coral to die off, hopefully I can find something and this system can really come alive. Also, POWDER BLUE tangs are A/$ holes, so he is getting put somewhere else when I can catch his butt.. And the last big thing is I get a fish room out the deal, so I can keep my "mess" in there as the wife calls it. So for now, I am off to do some work.

OP
OP
am3gross

am3gross

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
What a day, very busy for sure. started draining the display and moving rock to the stock tank. In the middle of the evolution the boy noticed a hissing noise coming from the water heater, you guessed it, in the middle of the whole thing my water heater decided to take a crap... So I got to a good stopping point, changed a water heater, and then right back at it. What corals I have left are looking great. Fish are doing well also. I will take some pictures in the morning after a good nights sleep. I will have to straighten the garage up as it looks like a tornado hit it. Finish mounting the trident equipment, and wire management. Once I get that part done I will start to focus on the movement of the 375. Should be Tuesday on that. Plan to have it up and running by the weekend. As long as nothing else goes wrong. All and all, today was very productive.

OP
OP
am3gross

am3gross

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
A few days late, but the 375 was moved, not in the final resting place yet, as there are some things to tidy up before I set her down. Reason for the delay was Apex issues, but those have been resolved. Todays agenda is tinting back glass, making a better cover for the overflow, drilling the holes for the drain and pressure pipes, setting her down and getting the canopy put back on. Currently making water to be able to add.

Thought, if i already have 400 ish gallons of water, would adding 375 gallons be like doing a 50% water change?

OP
OP
am3gross

am3gross

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
flow.jpg

OP
OP
am3gross

am3gross

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have finally got it all online. Need to work some kinks out with the Apex, but for the most part, It is alive!!! Tomorrow after work I will update this thread with some pictures. Just a recap of what I did. Moved the 375 display from the bedroom to the living room. Turned the garage into the fish room. Drilled some holes thru the wall so the 375 could drain into the new sump, A 300 gallon stock tank. Plumbed with this is a 75 gallon fuge, a 75 gallon frag tank, and a 50 gallon stock tank that houses the skimmer.

Pictures coming tomorrow

OP
OP
am3gross

am3gross

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Simple 75 gallon fuge here, nothing special. I am gunna try to grow all the algaes in here. Only time will tell. The powder blue will be the only resident not making it to the display. He will be in the 75 gallon frag tank.
fuge.jpg

OP
OP
am3gross

am3gross

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Now the whole reason for this move was because for the longest time I could not figure out why my coral was dyeing. While on deployment I tried to think of everything and just could not figure it out. So once I returned it was my mission to figure it out. Tore the whole thing down, expecting to find something that the ICP tests just didn't test for. Honestly expecting to find some sort of metal. Cleaned all the sand out, found nothing... Was contemplating throwing all the rock away because I thought something was in there... Then one day at petco I bought the cheapo salt checker and it said my salinity was pegged out.. Grabbed my refractometer that I have been using from the beginning, when I started having all my issues, that was calibrated often with the juice, and it said 1.025... Thoughts was naw, this cant be off.... So I went and got the Milwaukee digital checker, had the store verify it with there's, and then checked my water and bam... 1.039-1.040.. This entire time my salinity was off, I have found my issue... So since I had it in my head to move it anyways, I did, and I can not be happier. Corals are looking good. I even bought a cap ( seasons greetings) the other day and it is doing well! Also a hammer that is out and happy too!!!

Soooooo, now the fun should begin. Hopefully!!! Slow and steady will win the race I am sure, still a little gun shy about dropping a lot of coin to get coral so I will take it slow to make sure that was in deed my issue.

OP
OP
am3gross

am3gross

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
What a week, all the little fish homies are in there newly remodeled house! I bought some new rock to throw in the display, about 130-150 lbs worth. Kept all the old rock in the sump. There are some rocks that made it up to the display, but just the ones with coral on them. Frag tank is also starting to come together. Need to kick this little cyano that I got popping up but other then that, everything is looking real good.

OP
OP
am3gross

am3gross

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
UV has been installed and has been running for about 2 weeks. It is the Lifegard 120 watt. Pretty stout unit thus far. Also, since the picture I have set the drains to drain into a filter sock, to try and help with water clarity.
UV.JPG

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 44 48.4%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 49 53.8%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 21 23.1%
  • None.

Votes: 23 25.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 9.9%
Back