The rebuild..... 375 supersized/700 gallons total!

OP
OP
am3gross

am3gross

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
center.jpg

OP
OP
am3gross

am3gross

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Ok, Update time! And this one is not a good one.

Came home today after running some errands. When I went into the garage that has all the filtration in it, I noticed water on the floor. Oh man, this is not going to be good. Then I noticed water overflowing out of the right hand side frag tank. I quickly shut every thing down to assess the damages and the cause. I had all the power bricks for the Ecotech lights and pumps, skimmer brick, trident, dos, apex and the controller for the UV under the overflowed tank. Everything had some level of water on it. Thankfully I think I caught it just in time before real damage could occur. I would estimate that approximately 5 gallons worth of water was on the floor. The equipment, all tho a little wet, did not sustain any damage. When I turned the pumps back on, when it came to the frag system, I heard what sounded like a rock going down the pipe. My conclusion is that a snail made its way into the overflow pipe and was just enough to overflow the system. I do have egg crate over the overflow that keeps any fish out, but I guess it will not keep the snails out.

I am very thankful that this happened the way it did, it could have been much worse. Of all the APEX things I have, I dont have the leak detectors. I think it is time to change that.

Also, after re evaluating the situation, I did some things wrong. With all the electrical that goes on with tanks, the one thing never to do is to step into a puddle of water and grab outlets. Looking back talking to the wife, I made it clear that if that happens again, we will shut the power off to the garage before doing anything to prevent greater loss. I would encourage others to talk to there familys and make sure that if a situation arises like this in your home that you all have a plan as well. So please if you take nothing else from this thread, please talk and have a plan just in case.

Mike

Kodski

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like a really close call. What kind of overflow are you running on the frag tank and fuge? Maybe consider adding an emergency drain if you don’t have one. Then the leak detectors only purpose is to alert you when crap really hits the fan.

OP
OP
am3gross

am3gross

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Some shots from the frag tank today. Trying to get better at these picture things

Attachments

• IMG_5041.jpg
    IMG_5041.jpg
    118.8 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_5040.jpg
    IMG_5040.jpg
    117 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_5039.jpg
    IMG_5039.jpg
    122.5 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_5037.jpg
    IMG_5037.jpg
    132.8 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_5036.jpg
    IMG_5036.jpg
    148.3 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_5050.jpg
    IMG_5050.jpg
    169.6 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_5049.jpg
    IMG_5049.jpg
    168.5 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_5048.jpg
    IMG_5048.jpg
    198.7 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_5047.jpg
    IMG_5047.jpg
    179.7 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_5046.jpg
    IMG_5046.jpg
    158.1 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_5045.jpg
    IMG_5045.jpg
    163.7 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_5056.jpg
    IMG_5056.jpg
    118.6 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_5054.jpg
    IMG_5054.jpg
    150.4 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_5053.jpg
    IMG_5053.jpg
    125.1 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_5052.jpg
    IMG_5052.jpg
    200.8 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_5051.jpg
    IMG_5051.jpg
    183.5 KB · Views: 25
OP
OP
am3gross

am3gross

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Well boys and girls, this deployment for me is almost over. Should be home early to mid June and let me say, It has been a looooong 6 months.

This deployment thou has been somewhat positive for the tank. All the corals are doing great and most have doubled, if not tripled in size. Once I get home I will be sure to post some updated pictures of everything.

Now with the not so good part.

Issue #1

My 75 gallon fuge decided it was time to start leaking from the bulkhead on the side of the tank, so I had to shut that tank down, which is a good thing that I set it up the way I did where each tank has its own return pump instead of teeing it off. Way less hassle that way.

Issue #2

Apex brain bricked itself. I am pretty sure it had something to do with the update as I think the SD card got some corrupted files on it. Fix for that was to get a new brain (Pro version) and was able to talk the wife thru replacing it. Everything is currently up and running and I am getting my CAL and ALK levels back to where they need to be. I will send the old unit off and get it repaired once I get home. Always be good to have a spare.

Well that is it for now.

OP
OP
am3gross

am3gross

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Well everyone, I made it home! After taking care of some things around the house and a little relaxing, today was the day that I started working on the tank. Wifey did an amazing job the 6 months I was away only having a few issues.

1st issue was the Apex taking a crap on me, but we worked thru the replacement of that and all is well with that.

2nd issue was the 75 gallon fuge that started leaking from the bulkhead. I tried everything to get a good seal and it just would not stop leaking so I just replaced the tank with a reef ready 75 gallon and got her all plumbed back in. When the tank started leaking I had her move the algae over to the skimmer tank and just shut the pump off that went to the fuge. Now that the tank is back in working order, and the algae is taking off in the skimmer tank, I think I will turn the tank into another frag tank instead. Win win if you ask me!!

Let me say that the size of the corals that when I left were very small frags, have turned into some amazing colonies! It is amazing! Her hard work is paying off!!

OP
OP
am3gross

am3gross

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Did some work on wires and clean up in the garage today. Happy mostly with how it came out. I think I need a better way to route the dosing lines but other then that I am happy. Still waiting on one more Vortech holder to come in the mail to mount the last one . The sliders for the 10 gallon tanks I am super happy about. The are snug so they done move easily, which is good, I want to make sure that when they move it is when they should be moving, Will make it easier when time comes to refill them so now all i got to do is fill the 5 gallon buck, mix and dump in.

Before
before.jpg

After
after.jpg

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 45 35.4%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 22.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.1%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.9%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back