The Reef Hobby- An Endangered Species?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

EyeCatchingCoral

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The worst thing anyone can do is tell themselves or others that these changes and legislation will not hit our industry. I have talked to several people who have said back to me they were told not to worry and it is not a big deal. I think we all need to worry and we all need to actually take action to help in any way that we can. We can all help by donating or just spreading the word. This will take a big toll on the entire worldwide industry not only the USA.

USFWS Los Angeles: It is now illegal to import frogspawn & certain deepwater acro species

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The worst thing anyone can do is tell themselves or others that these changes and legislation will not hit our industry. I have talked to several people who have said back to me they were told not to worry and it is not a big deal. I think we all need to worry and we all need to actually take action to help in any way that we can. We can all help by donating or just spreading the word. This will take a big toll on the entire worldwide industry not only the USA.

USFWS Los Angeles: It is now illegal to import frogspawn & certain deepwater acro species

I agree! But looks like this news today might have been a little premature.

good_zps48bf1402.jpg

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hey guys! I wanted you guys to know about a cool way that I found to help out with this. Since I am a doctoral student and my wife is working on her master's degree, I buy a ton of books (and other items) from Amazon.com. Well, if you go to smile.amazon.com, you can designate a charitable organization which will receive a portion of all of your purchases through amazon.com. I discovered that MASNA is an optional charitable organization that can be designated as a recipient of the donated funds from my purchases. So now, every time I buy something at amazon, part of my purchase goes to MASNA who is one of our biggest advocates in this fight! I want to encourage you guys to do the same! :)

that Reef Guy

Frag Swap Crusader!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just read this today and am very very confused.

From

Endangered versus Threatened: Why should you be concerned?

Since that 4(d) rule has been published Elkhorn and Staghorn corals have been illegal to own, and difficult for researchers to work with. Interestingly, since some of you might not believe the ESA has “no effect†on CITES listings. Elkhorn and Staghorn corals are currently listed under CITES Appendix II which applies worldwide. So technically even though Elkhorn and Staghorn corals are not listed as endangered they are illegal to work with because of the threatened + the additional 4(d) rule provision.

If Elkhorn and Staghorn are illegal then why do I see them in LFS's?

Why does ORA Sell it?

Doesn't the no Elkhorn/Staghorn mean you cannot collect it in the Caribbean where it is quite rare aparently but it is not rare in other parts of the world?

Somebody please explain this.

that Reef Guy

Frag Swap Crusader!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, I was reading up on some other animals.

Apparently Axolotyls are almost extinct in the wild (Not threatened, not endangered, but almost completly gone from the wild).

Yet you can still buy them.

White Clouds are a Freshwater Fish that is Extinct in the Wild yet you can find them in any Pet Store (There are Zillions of them due to Captive Breeding - They are like 2.00 each).

So how can they say that Corals Labeled Threatened or Endangered will be Illegal to even own when there are so many other animals that are sold all the time and nobody talks about them like they are talking about Corals now?

Kworker

Tang Lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, I was reading up on some other animals.

Apparently Axolotyls are almost extinct in the wild (Not threatened, not endangered, but almost completly gone from the wild).

Yet you can still buy them.

White Clouds are a Freshwater Fish that is Extinct in the Wild yet you can find them in any Pet Store (There are Zillions of them due to Captive Breeding - They are like 2.00 each).

So how can they say that Corals Labeled Threatened or Endangered will be Illegal to even own when there are so many other animals that are sold all the time and nobody talks about them like they are talking about Corals now?

Yeah I made a point earlier about the Axolotyls and Wolves. Both Endangered yet people can own them. I think it's the perception people have on species versus others. Most people don't even know Axolotyls exist so there's little outcry to protect them. Where you have people actively trying to stop the aquarium trade. However, I'm just speculating here. Either way captive breeding shouldn't be restricted because importing becomes illegal.

Weren't Banggai Cardinals considered endangered but captive breeding continued as well?

Florida reefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What worries me is the "higher ups" are (probably) getting kick backs from the industries that are really doing the damage. Here in St. Lucie County Florida, we get ALL the run off from most of the state through our rivers. It goes out two inlets primarily, Ft. Pierce and Stuart. For quite a few months now, there have been massive algea blooms which are causing fish kills, flesh eating diseases and so on. We all see the problem here, but our own "higher ups" are completely ignoring it!

I'm very financially unstable these days. What can people like me with no money to donate, do to help? Who's gonna listen to a broke fool like me? If you're from Florida, then you know what I'm talking about, when I mention the Indian River Lagoon.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 45 35.4%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 22.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.1%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.9%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back