The Reef2Reef Tapatalk App is going to be disabled soon...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forsaken77

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you're doing this for user data concerns, which I applaud, then why do you guys always have your contests on Facebook and other social media? ALL of the various social media platforms sell off user data.

I would enter more contests, but don't use Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest, ect... Because I value my privacy.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you're doing this for user data concerns, which I applaud, then why do you guys always have your contests on Facebook and other social media? ALL of the various social media platforms sell off user data.

I would enter more contests, but don't use Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest, ect... Because I value my privacy.
I don't believe that any R2R contests require social media entries (could be wrong). Sponsors may use R2R for contests and it is up to them what to allow as entries. We may not do a good job differentiating between R2R contests and sponsor contest so that "fine point" may not be readily apparent.

I share your concerns along these lines and have refrained from entering contests for that specific reason.

Reef_Tank_Greg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As someone who dealt with Tapatalk over many years of running forums, it was always a thankless task. On occasion it simply would not work due to issues on their end. Other times it was because they did an update that had no warning. Guess who forum members came to right away for help. Some not happy at all because of it having happened more than once....

But most of the time Tapatalk would send out an email about your "mandatory" or "required" update. Sometimes the language was much more stern. And I would do the updates begrudgingly out of love for the community utilizing my forums via the app.

Sadly though there was never so much as a simply thank you from Tapatalk to me as a forum owner. It was just never exactly a pleasant experience.

Couple all of the above with Rev's information about they handle user data and you have an app that is truly deserving of zero support from anyone.

OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
As someone who dealt with Tapatalk over many years of running forums, it was always a thankless task. On occasion it simply would not work due to issues on their end. Other times it was because they did an update that had no warning. Guess who forum members came to right away for help. Some not happy at all because of it having happened more than once....

But most of the time Tapatalk would send out an email about your "mandatory" or "required" update. Sometimes the language was much more stern. And I would do the updates begrudgingly out of love for the community utilizing my forums via the app.

Sadly though there was never so much as a simply thank you from Tapatalk to me as a forum owner. It was just never exactly a pleasant experience.

Couple all of the above with Rev's information about they handle user data and you have an app that is truly deserving of zero support from anyone.

You sir speak my language!

reefwiser

LMAS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Suggestion allow users to change text color. Man this light blue text on the dark theme is hard to read.

kschweer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Suggestion allow users to change text color. Man this light blue text on the dark theme is hard to read.

Light blue? Mine is a gray.

B6D83C9D-EF43-4ECA-81FE-0476AD4C667A.png

OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

What about the light theme?

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m going to admit I’ve only been viewing the site exclusively on Tapatalk for 2 years other than literally 2-3 times rereading my favourite build threads.

I only saw this thread on Tuesday, when my R2R posts on Tapatalk couldn’t be opened. It might have been bettter to have put “going away today” in the title instead of “soon”. I’m not liking the change this far- I don’t seem to have the immediate access to my ‘in use’ threads, plus I need to log in every time even though I’ve created a home screen icon and kept ‘remember me’ checked .

Also: drop Tapatalk due to user info concerns, yet the website has the option of logging on using Facebook . I know that’s optional, so that’s a little tongue in cheek.

Are there plans to develop a more secure independent app, or refine the mobile site more?

GatorScott

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After using the website for a couple days, I can honestly say it’s a lot better than tapatalk. Thanks!
I second that. I’m surprised how fast I got used to it and actually enjoy it more lol. I don’t know why but I was missing a lot of threads and topics I never came across on tapatalk.

OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I’m going to admit I’ve only been viewing the site exclusively on Tapatalk for 2 years other than literally 2-3 times rereading my favourite build threads.

I only saw this thread on Tuesday, when my R2R posts on Tapatalk couldn’t be opened. It might have been bettter to have put “going away today” in the title instead of “soon”. I’m not liking the change this far- I don’t seem to have the immediate access to my ‘in use’ threads, plus I need to log in every time even though I’ve created a home screen icon and kept ‘remember me’ checked .

Also: drop Tapatalk due to user info concerns, yet the website has the option of logging on using Facebook . I know that’s optional, so that’s a little tongue in cheek.

Are there plans to develop a more secure independent app, or refine the mobile site more?

Besides user privacy, which is huge, there is a plethora of reasons bu this was the straw that broke the camels back.

I am planning to explore options to create a more streamline mobile experience. Thank you for your feedback.

OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Something else I’m really enjoying is the alerts tab to be able to access so easily who’s liked a post or quoted or mentioned you. That’s awesome.

Loving that the good of our mobile site is outweighing what might be missing from using the TT app. You're going to find many more gold nuggets I believe! Would love to hear about each new thing you find or like!

OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hi Rev, did you receive my e-mail with the 3 pics?

Yes and I am working on a resolution. Those images are HUGE and we're having to do something that will resize them for you automatically. Most people don't upload images that big!

highendofthelow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some of you use the R2R Tapatalk Branded App and Tapatalk App and we have tried to keep it working as long as possible. But I recently found out that the company who makes the app (Tapatalk) has started to store user information from forums and have begun to sell advertising based upon this information. We don't sell your info and we don't like the fact that we can't have control over that aspect to keep others from doing it. Another reason is that we like to have control over our community and we don't like some of the tactics used by Tapatalk to force us to comply with their methodology. They also will not support the full features of our forum and it leaves for an incomplete experience for some users at times.

As a result we have made the decision to remove Tapatalk support from R2R and unpublish our app.

PLEASE NOTE: THIS IS NOT OUR MOBILE VERSION BUT THE APP VERSION. YOU CAN STILL SURF R2R ON YOUR PHONE!

I realize there will be some of you who do not like this decision but based on my previous comments we have had to make this hard decision and we are going to stand by it. I wanted to make this announcement and give you time to make alternative plans, if you are a Tapatalk R2R surfer.

For now we do offer notifications to your phone if you have an Android device. Hopefully soon we will have this option for IOS devices as well.

Thanks for your understanding.

NOTE: YOU CAN SET UP R2R LIKE AN APP ON YOUR PHONE: To use R2R on your phone simple open your internet browser on your phone and type www.reef2reef.com. The following is a pictorial first for IOS devices and second for Android devices.

ios 1.jpg

ios 2.jpg

ios 3.jpg

and 1.jpg

and 2.jpg

and 3.jpg

Thank you and if you have any questions about how to set R2R up on your phone please let us know!
Although I totally respect the reasons for doing it, I find it a little disappointing. I used the app a lot more regularly than the online. Although the aforementioned technique allows a link to your home screen, I try and keep that as clutter free as possible so not ideal- an app can sit in my menus, you cant have a google link within the apps menu.

An independent app would be great- although I know how much of a pain it will be.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back