The Reefer's IM Nuvo 25 AIO Tank Journal

TheReeferYT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello friends.

I've always wanted to try a "nano" build after watching a video of Michael Rice's 30g Innovative Marine all-in-one build on the Reef Builders' YouTube channel. Finally decided to bite the bullet and give it a whirl! Yes, I put nano in quotations, because 25g sounds small, but the tank feels too heavy to be a nano in my mind.

I've had the tank for a couple of weeks now, and over the next few days will be filling it with saltwater. Here is the tank when I first got it.

20210719_144933.jpg

First impressions of this Nuvo 25, it seems well built. At 8mm, the glass is thick for the tank size and height. I'm happy with thicker glass, as I don't have to worry as much mounting this heavy AP700 to it. I'm using the AP700 because I already have it, and when I tried to sell it, there were too many low ball offers. Being that I absolutely love the light, I decided to keep it and buy a tank for it to light up. ;)

The pictures show the tank from start to current right now. I think the aquascape is fine. I've decided not to putty and glue any rocks together this time, as I don't think it is necessary because the rocks aren't being placed too high. And if I ever decide to change things up, it will be easier to break down the structure if nothing is glued. Let me know what you think!
20210720_133028.jpg
20210720_133021.jpg

List of equipment for the system:

1) IM Nuvo 25
2) Kessil AP700
3) Nero 3
4) Tunze 3155 ATO
5) 100w aquatop titanium heater
6) Reef Crystals salt
7) Return pump is the stock DC pump

Let's go!!!

kpoj9

Reefin’ Ain’t Eazy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Congrats! The IM 25 lagoon is an awesome tank. Can’t wait to see your progress. Great rock-scape. I like the stepping ledges a lot. I wish I had done more of that in mine.

jhuntstl

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love the extra width you get with these lagoon style nanos. Makes for some great aquascaping potential. I think you've done a great job.

I glued my rocks and I'm happy with the stability. I'd imagine your shelf style would be significantly more stable than mine unglued. It'll also be much easier to deal with pests, algae, corals, etc when you can work on the rock outside of the tank.

Looking forward to more updates!

OP
OP
T

TheReeferYT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whoops!! I'm sorry, I didn't realize there were responses!

Congrats! The IM 25 lagoon is an awesome tank. Can’t wait to see your progress. Great rock-scape. I like the stepping ledges a lot. I wish I had done more of that in mine.

Thank you kpoj9! I just threw rocks into my first tank haphazardly. Learned my lesson that a bit of planning is worth it in the long run. :)

Nice aqua-scape! Love it. Any Livestock ideas yet?

Thanks Salty! I'm going to need fish ideas. To be honest, I love clowns, I don't love getting bitten. Would 1 clown be less territorial than a pair? Besides that, for fish I am thinking:

1) Royal Gramma (Have wanted one for a long time)
2) Bangai cardinals (If I can find two that will eat dry foods)
3) Clown? Maybe? Definite maybe
4) Maybe a couple of chromis?
5) 6 line wrasse?
6) Firefish?

I've not had the best luck with fish, so for fish I'm kind of at a loss. If anyone has any suggestions, I'm open to them. This is going to be a bare bottom tank, so probably no gobies.

For coral, I've got 4 years worth of coral to choose from! Woot!

As I mentioned in my original post, I have been inspired by Mr. Michael Rice, his tank is 2 islands with acans on one, chalices on the other, and euphyllia in the back. He then has a jack o lantern lepto, and some bowerbankis. I am considering following the same lay out.

The alternative is a species focused tank. Just a bunch of acans and probably euphyllia in the bank to add some movement.

Love the extra width you get with these lagoon style nanos. Makes for some great aquascaping potential. I think you've done a great job.

I glued my rocks and I'm happy with the stability. I'd imagine your shelf style would be significantly more stable than mine unglued. It'll also be much easier to deal with pests, algae, corals, etc when you can work on the rock outside of the tank.

Looking forward to more updates!

Thank you jhunt! After thinking about the pros and cons, I decided to at least putty and glue the pillar rocks (Rocks beneath the top rocks). I figure that it is not going to be a big deal if I ever want to switch things up as the pillar rocks will likely stay put.

Is that some Stax rock? Scape looks great. Following along.

Great eye TheWB! I bought two 5lb boxes of Stax. Didn't end up using the entire thing, probably 8 to 9 lbs worth of rock in there.

20210725_223404.jpg

OP
OP
T

TheReeferYT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The rest of the equipment I ordered arrived a few days ago. Been busy packing and documenting the journey. ;Greedy

20210721_135244.jpg

It is funny, this nano will probably feature some of the best equipment I have ever used in my 4 years of reefing so far. I've unpacked everything and set it all up.

IMG_20210725_213941.jpg

I'm very impressed with the build quality of the Nuvo 25. My only gripe is to do with the return nozzles not being sealed to the acrylic. I was puzzled for a minute as I was filling up the tank, when the return chamber had more water than the side chambers. But everything from glass thickness, and the design of the back compartment are great in my opinion for the limited amount of space they are dealing with.

I replaced the filter sock with another media basket, so now there are two media baskets in the tank. I also added the marine pure balls to one of the basket compartments to make up for the small amount of rock in the tank.

That is it so far, will probably be a couple of weeks before my next update. I would appreciate ideas on fish for a bare bottom nano tank. I am going to try so hard not to stuff this tank full of coral, just enough to look good. :D

Back