RichtheReefer21

RichtheReefer21

Scrap Yard Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just awesome.

Thanks. I've never seen them with PE like that before. Progress.

The tnak is looking good @RichtheReefer21
How did the pod-contra-algae-experiment turn out?

Thanks bud.. I havent seen any population explosion all over the glass yet, but I may need to get another order due to the size of the tank and lack of pods before. however, the algae hasnt come back with a vengeance as in the past.

Not sure if the spreading of corraline algae is assisting in that as far as competition for nutrients.

Never hurts to have a healthy pod population anyways. I've been blowing the rocks off every 5 days. Always hard to determine one specific reason something fails or turns around for the better.

Paul C.

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Rich.. Tank is looking good. Glad the tank is starting to gain the upper hand against the algae. Your pod population will take a few more weeks. Wouldn't hurt to add another bag or two. When we start a new grow out tank for pods, it really takes about a month to get a healthy population that covers the glass. Our grow out tanks are 10% the volume of your 125. All in due time.

With that said, we continue to ramp up in the hills of Western Ma. we doubled out pod grow out tanks just this past weekend. Let me know when your ready for some more as well as the phyto.
Paul C.

OP
OP
RichtheReefer21

RichtheReefer21

Scrap Yard Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Rich.. Tank is looking good. Glad the tank is starting to gain the upper hand against the algae. Your pod population will take a few more weeks. Wouldn't hurt to add another bag or two. When we start a new grow out tank for pods, it really takes about a month to get a healthy population that covers the glass. Our grow out tanks are 10% the volume of your 125. All in due time. With that said, we continue to ramp up in the hills of Western Ma. we doubled out pod grow out tanks just this past weekend. Let me know when your ready for some more as well as the phyto. Paul C.

Thanks Paul. I'll give it a few more weeks. Running out of phyto tomorrow.

Might grab another bag of pods and some phyto, and iso. I wanna be stocked for when they start populating.

OP
OP
RichtheReefer21

RichtheReefer21

Scrap Yard Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's some photos of the corals I havent really put up pics of. This is about 1hr into my morning ramp.

Dump Warning.

20190205_105818.jpg
20190205_105017.jpg
20190205_105126.jpg
20190205_105400.jpg
20190205_105426.jpg
20190205_105527.jpg

OP
OP
RichtheReefer21

RichtheReefer21

Scrap Yard Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did a half dose of Vibrant last night. Will do weekly pic progression after it's done, will stop after 4 weeks and watch.

Weekly RedSea test:

Ca: 430
Mg: 1480
dKh: 8.4
No3: 9.0
Po4: .17

Let's see how the vibrant effects my Po4 and No3.

OP
OP
RichtheReefer21

RichtheReefer21

Scrap Yard Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So.. I dont typically get personal on here.. but I need a vent..
10 months ago I lost my only "child", Diesel. Got him at 9 weeks, and spent 10 solid years with a 140lbs love of my life.

In February, prior to me "diving into salt", and joining this forum.. i was hit by the disaster bus, or he was... He woke up sick on a Friday, and had to be put down a week later(after $5k spent in 6 days and a hospital stay)

Basically I wasnt prepared, and to this day still not ready to try another pooch. So I hit up a buddy who was into reef keeping years ago, and luckily, I landed a deal on the 55g that's at the start of my story thread here.

It's been a rough year., and as some of u may know, I have been working as an electronic technician for a space systems program that specializes in unique life support systems, heating and cooling, and air systems for the spacesuit, and both NASA and government projects for a few years.

I recently got laid off, and havent really been vocal about it. Which is also why the spending on the tank has come to a halt. Screeching. Also why my old 55g was broken down and put into storage. It was being used as a prophylactic QT treatment for any new additions.

Rodi, ato, and overall sump plans have been delayed. I have a line on a few local companies, but no status change as of yet.

Felt like I needed to get it off my chest and share my frustration with the condition my tank is in due to lack of free finances to splurge with.

This thread is my last 9+ months of reefing. As a 1st timer. Enough cant be said for this forum being vital in its success to this point. Just wanted to share my story of how I first got my toes salty, and say thanks for being a place I felt safe to let it out on.

Last edited:
OP
OP
RichtheReefer21

RichtheReefer21

Scrap Yard Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hes at home with me always watching me feed fish now instead of him :)
15496880290605944261419616391520.jpg

Hiked a mountain in Maine with him overlooking Sebago Lake. Last summer, which is where the pic was taken... and this summer, my nieces and nephews all pitched in and got this blanket made of him for me. Its next to the tank and it's my sunrise every day.

15496880602518519340735423078016.jpg

Last edited:

Raege

I’m a leaf on the wind watch me soar
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Losing a true friend is tuff the edges of the pain dull with time but always leaves that little empty space. I had a 120 lb lap dog I still miss. She never figured out she wasn’t a small dog :).
Sorry to hear about your lay-off try to keep positive hopefully like a couple others in same situation you will end up with something even better than you had.

OP
OP
RichtheReefer21

RichtheReefer21

Scrap Yard Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you all for the kind words.

It's been a train wreck, but the tank and all the busy work and husbandry I feel has truely helped me through it.

@Bryce M. Welcome to the mess!

Bryce M.

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you all for the kind words.

It's been a train wreck, but the tank and all the busy work and husbandry I feel has truely helped me through it.

@Bryce M. Welcome to the mess!
My tank and fish has helped me through some rough stuff too. I completely understand that.

Janci

Staghorns will prevail
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Rich, my support for you in these difficult times.
Thank you for sharing.

Reefing is, also for me, a way to escape and ventilate from the daily routine.
It feels good to be part of this community where nobody expects anything from you a d is there just to help.

I'll pray for the best for your future.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 38 52.1%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 39 53.4%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 15 20.5%
  • None.

Votes: 18 24.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 8.2%

Back