OP
RichtheReefer21

RichtheReefer21

Scrap Yard Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Rich, my support for you in these difficult times.
Thank you for sharing.

Reefing is, also for me, a way to escape and ventilate from the daily routine.
It feels good to be part of this community where nobody expects anything from you a d is there just to help.

I'll pray for the best for your future.

Thank you. And I couldn't agree more. R2R is a community that is a rare find these days in the fog of the web. Very fortunate to have found it.

OP
OP
RichtheReefer21

RichtheReefer21

Scrap Yard Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you @Raege for this:
20190210_135306.jpg

I spoke to my buddy and he said he will take it for future projects. And trade me for a 33gal Long and Low that he is going to custom baffle to my specs.

Ro/Di 100gpd Aqutic Life unit is on order for my bday present from the lady.

And I snagged a Tunze 3155 ATO for almost half price that shipped this morning.

Remaining items needed for sump conversion:

Return pump
Reef Octopus skimmer
Synergy Ghost overflow

Tax returns may allow this to happen in a month or so. Pretty excited

OP
OP
RichtheReefer21

RichtheReefer21

Scrap Yard Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome glad the donation is going to get you what you wanted to move the reef to next stage. If your going to use mud in your sump give a shout I overordered for mine so got a gallon and a half extra.
Thanks again. Not sure how I'm gonna go about the sump details yet.

OP
OP
RichtheReefer21

RichtheReefer21

Scrap Yard Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know it's only been 4 days since I dosed vibrant... but it's not making an impact yet... the algae is still doing what it always has... hurting my eyes.

20190211_152313.jpg
20190211_152320.jpg
20190211_152324.jpg

OP
OP
RichtheReefer21

RichtheReefer21

Scrap Yard Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you sure that's gha and not green cyano?
It doesnt branch up or anything. Its more like a slime coat it seems. I can blow it off with a turkey baster np

OP
OP
RichtheReefer21

RichtheReefer21

Scrap Yard Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
looks more like green hair algae with hint of dinos
So do u feel like vibrant is a viable option?

Sorry to hear about the bumps in the road, made me sad to read about your Blenny :( Things will get better soon I’m sure :)

Thanks, I was pretty bummed to find him in the propeller. Cant fix stupid.

Dr. Reef

www.drreefsquarantinedfish.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No personal experience with vibrant but sure give it a try.
Although I personally dont suggest band aid I recommend finding the source.
Algae needs nitrates phos and light. You have something of the 3 or more in out of wack which will cause algae to grow and take over.
Dinos also show up in tanks with wacky chemistry or could have imported on a coral or snail etc.

Scurvy

Pirate Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So.. I dont typically get personal on here.. but I need a vent..
10 months ago I lost my only "child", Diesel. Got him at 9 weeks, and spent 10 solid years with a 140lbs love of my life.

In February, prior to me "diving into salt", and joining this forum.. i was hit by the disaster bus, or he was... He woke up sick on a Friday, and had to be put down a week later(after $5k spent in 6 days and a hospital stay)

Basically I wasnt prepared, and to this day still not ready to try another pooch. So I hit up a buddy who was into reef keeping years ago, and luckily, I landed a deal on the 55g that's at the start of my story thread here.

It's been a rough year., and as some of u may know, I have been working as an electronic technician for a space systems program that specializes in unique life support systems, heating and cooling, and air systems for the spacesuit, and both NASA and government projects for a few years.

I recently got laid off, and havent really been vocal about it. Which is also why the spending on the tank has come to a halt. Screeching. Also why my old 55g was broken down and put into storage. It was being used as a prophylactic QT treatment for any new additions.

Rodi, ato, and overall sump plans have been delayed. I have a line on a few local companies, but no status change as of yet.

Felt like I needed to get it off my chest and share my frustration with the condition my tank is in due to lack of free finances to splurge with.

This thread is my last 9+ months of reefing. As a 1st timer. Enough cant be said for this forum being vital in its success to this point. Just wanted to share my story of how I first got my toes salty, and say thanks for being a place I felt safe to let it out on.
I have a 14 year old Lab/Rotty mix. She has good days amd bad days but I certainly know how hard those unexpected Vet bills can hit. Its never easy losing a family member. Sorry you lost him. You’ll know when youre ready for another pup.
We’re here for you brother.

OP
OP
RichtheReefer21

RichtheReefer21

Scrap Yard Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 14 year old Lab/Rotty mix. She has good days amd bad days but I certainly know how hard those unexpected Vet bills can hit. Its never easy losing a family member. Sorry you lost him. You’ll know when youre ready for another pup.
We’re here for you brother.

I've got the tank to help me cope with the emptiness in the house.

Last edited:
OP
OP
RichtheReefer21

RichtheReefer21

Scrap Yard Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sooo... I wake up this morning and my house is 55° and the furnace kicked off due to a pressure release valve getting stuck...

Tank hit 73.4°, I fired up a big mobile electric space heater and fixed the issue with the furnace. Took a few hours but tank came back up to 77.6° and everything looks ok... besides the green.

I decided to try a little experiment of sorts. Today is 1 week of vibrant. I decided to Turkey baste one side of the tank, and leave the other side to see how the vibrant does when I keep the algae from settling vs undisturbed. Heres the 2 sides:

20190213_154136.jpg
20190213_154144.jpg

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 73 37.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 66 34.0%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 12.9%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back