The richreef saga, 55g to 125g

Paul C.

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
GM Rich. You can freeze phyto. However it will not be live once thawed. Still fine to use in our tanks. You probably wouldn't be able to start a culture with phyto that has been frozen.

OP
OP
RichtheReefer21

RichtheReefer21

Scrap Yard Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
GM Rich. You can freeze phyto. However it will not be live once thawed. Still fine to use in our tanks. You probably wouldn't be able to start a culture with phyto that has been frozen.

Alrighty, so it's fine for my purposes of feeding pods with it etc. Cool. Didnt know that. Thanks.

OP
OP
RichtheReefer21

RichtheReefer21

Scrap Yard Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I'm on a saltwater reef group on fb, and saw a woman who was tearing down her 90gal. All fish have been thru chloroquine phosphate, metro and kanaplex prophylactic QT treatment and over a year in the tank with no issues.

And she just happens to be in the next town. Hehe. Going over tomorrow to check out a foxface and yellow tang. For cheap.

Excited. Maybe the tang and fox will help with the fight against the algae as well. More to come.

Raege

I’m a leaf on the wind watch me soar
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Yellow tang was a machine on algae till he got to aggressive in the tank to newbies. My 1st Onespot foxface was also awesome on the job till he had the accident second foxface now is meh picks a little but not like the first guy.

OP
OP
RichtheReefer21

RichtheReefer21

Scrap Yard Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Yellow tang was a machine on algae till he got to aggressive in the tank to newbies. My 1st Onespot foxface was also awesome on the job till he had the accident second foxface now is meh picks a little but not like the first guy.
Fingers crossed these 2 are workaholics on algae.

OP
OP
RichtheReefer21

RichtheReefer21

Scrap Yard Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yellow tang is skinny, previous owner said picky eater, but was eating the flakes, mysis, and red nori when I was there. Dripping now... she showed me the kanaplex and metroplex, and chloroquine phosphate she qt's with. Feeling happy. A steal for $50. I couldnt pass it up.

20190215_150651.jpg

OP
OP
RichtheReefer21

RichtheReefer21

Scrap Yard Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alrighty so...

Zebra sailfin is displaying dominance, only at the yellow tang, but the yellow is holdin his ground. Some mild tail slapping and flashing.

The zebra is the aggressor. Foxface and yellow are staying on their own side and minding their business. So I let that go for a few hours and decided to cut the lights.

My cleaner shrimp is obsessed with the new fish, especially the foxface. Hes all over him. Pretty funny.

Yellow has been picking at the rocks on his corner non stop. So all in all, no huge issues yet. Hopefully the tangs will establish borders and itll settle down. The foxface is stressed as heck, coloration is all spotty and off as they are known to do.

Fingers crossed, but not bad so far.

Blackice615

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Voluntarily, I would recommend turning off the lights, keeping them off tomorrow and potentially covering the tank to prevent sunlight if your ph can support it. Gives your fish a chance to relax and settle from the research I've done over the years and what I did personally when adding new fish that displayed aggression

OP
OP
RichtheReefer21

RichtheReefer21

Scrap Yard Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Voluntarily, I would recommend turning off the lights, keeping them off tomorrow and potentially covering the tank to prevent sunlight if your ph can support it. Gives your fish a chance to relax and settle from the research I've done over the years and what I did personally when adding new fish that displayed aggression

I'm not running a risk with all my coral leaving the lights off for 36hrs?

OP
OP
RichtheReefer21

RichtheReefer21

Scrap Yard Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is a good sign the yellow tang is swimming freely.
Is there no aggression at all?

At first the zebra wasnt happy with the new neighbors, and did a lot of flashing and charges at them both, some tail slapping etc. But it wasnt a constant thing, not an "attack". More of, how could I say, drawing lines and establishing ranks?

I cut the lights an hour after introduction, and all went quiet. The next morning the aggression was few and far between, so I fed nori on a clip, and the zebra cared more about the food than the newcomers. And they began eating together.

The tail slapping stopped after that. It seems they settled their positions. Still a flash here and there from the zebra, but the yellow and foxface dont reply, more like, they submit and mind their own business, there is no reply to the zebras advances.

Today is day 3. Hopefully it will continue to settle and it will be a done deal.
Great looking additions Rich

Thanks paul, more algae eaters hopefully

Last edited:
OP
OP
RichtheReefer21

RichtheReefer21

Scrap Yard Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So now the yellow tang has established itself and no one is bothering it...

Instead, now the foxface has been exiled to one corner by the female davinci clown. She wont leave it alone.

The yellow and fox are best friends, came together from a tank, and the yellow is trying to defend the foxface. But the davinci is persistent. If the fox even tries to peak out he is attacked. As long as he stays put, the davinci just hovers. Hopefully that will go away with time... sigh..;Meh
15504291942393341674483575888760.jpg

OP
OP
RichtheReefer21

RichtheReefer21

Scrap Yard Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Back