OP
RichtheReefer21

RichtheReefer21

Scrap Yard Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just curious to what is an effective treatment time for a tank dosing of prazipro... I dont wanna cut anything short when it comes to keeping pests out of my DT from now on.

cmcoker

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have they had any prazi before now? I'd do full round if not, treat again in 5 to 7 days. 24 hours should be sufficient, it's not active much longer than that iirc

OP
OP
RichtheReefer21

RichtheReefer21

Scrap Yard Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have they had any prazi before now? I'd do full round if not, treat again in 5 to 7 days. 24 hours should be sufficient, it's not active much longer than that iirc

Ugh, no... what if I let them go 24 hours... and then give them a bath in it. Then a FW DIP, and then to the DT? Or is the impact that much more effective if I give them a full 5 days?

OP
OP
RichtheReefer21

RichtheReefer21

Scrap Yard Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My mentor runs 11 tanks in his home (I've seen them in person) and works for my lfs. He has been vital in my success. He knew I wanted one.. so he segregated it in it's own tank, upon arrival and wasnt aware of the studies showing mandarins having issues with copper treatment, but it survived, for 2.5 weeks with cupramine at .4 in their tanks. (I confirmed this when I challenged them lying or not about it with a test from the water it came home in)

He began experimenting with foods since the pods could not live in the copper... and yet again, LRS frenzy to the rescue. Thawed out and broken into tiny "pod-sized" pieces, it started eating it.

And I have continued that during QT. Got lucky to be honest... so after 2.5 weeks of cupramine, lrs frenzy, and 3.5 weeks of observation here in my QT, I'm gonna swing for the fence and give him a prazi bath and into the DT he will go. My first fish in the new tank since I started it up to run fallow back on July 3rd.

The rest of the fish in my HT will follow. They've been in .5 cupramine for 51 days....

Will use Same regiment. Prazi bath, fw dip, into the DT. And then tomorrow I will start a new QT batch in the 55g. Already paid for and waiting:

Starry blenny
Sailfin striped tang
And a surprise I'll expose once its home with me.

I will keep the 55g running as a QT until I have the livestock I desire. I feel the 10g is too small and use it for inverts and frags until I tear down the 55g and convert it into my sump for the 125.

Big night tonight. Wish me luck on the transfer from HT to DT.

77 DAYS SINCE CATASTROPHE IN THE 55G. TIME FOR REBIRTH.

STOAKED right now... but at the same time, scared shirtless. Bombs away!!!

OP
OP
RichtheReefer21

RichtheReefer21

Scrap Yard Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Humblefish
@HotRocks
@melypr1985
@Brew12
@Maritimer
@cmcoker
#reefsquad
Recommendations on giving prazi baths followed by fw dips before DT introduction? Mix/ratio, time in bath, etc..

They have all spent the last 24hrs in a prazipro treatment already. I figured one more bath for good measure or no point?

TIA

Last edited:

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Humblefish
@HotRocks
@melypr1985
@Brew12
@Maritimer
@cmcoker
#reefsquad
Recommendations on giving prazi baths followed by fw dips before DT introduction? Mix/ratio, time in bath, etc..

They have all spent the last 24hrs in a prazipro treatment already. I figured one more bath for good measure or no point?

TIA

IMO I would not FW dip before DT. The main purpose of a dip is to confirm flukes and or remove parasites for temporary relief. The dip procedure won't really benefit a transfer to DT

Prazi needs dosed twice with a 5-7 day gap in between the two doses. If you did that no reason for a bath.

If your fish are through a med free 14 day observation and are clean I would just transfer them to DT.

OP
OP
RichtheReefer21

RichtheReefer21

Scrap Yard Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO I would not FW dip before DT. The main purpose of a dip is to confirm flukes and or remove parasites for temporary relief. The dip procedure won't really benefit a transfer to DT

Prazi needs dosed twice with a 5-7 day gap in between the two doses. If you did that no reason for a bath.

If your fish are through a med free 14 day observation and are clean I would just transfer them to DT.

So u r recommending I wait another week, and dose prazi again ? They show no signs of worms or flukes. This is at the end of a 51 day cupramine treatment.

The madarain drag has gone 2.5 week in cupramine alone and 3.5 weeks in my QT. No signs, eating frenzy, all seems well...

I'll forget about the fw dip..

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So u r recommending I wait another week, and dose prazi again ? They show no signs of worms or flukes. This is at the end of a 51 day cupramine treatment.

The madarain drag has gone 2.5 week in cupramine alone and 3.5 weeks in my QT. No signs, eating frenzy, all seems well...

I'll forget about the fw dip..

See what others say...

Prazi isn't effective with a single dose. It doesn't kill eggs. So that's why you have to administer second dose in order to wipe out any hatchlings.

OP
OP
RichtheReefer21

RichtheReefer21

Scrap Yard Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
See what others say...

Prazi isn't effective with a single dose. It doesn't kill eggs. So that's why you have to administer second dose in order to wipe out any hatchlings.

Could I do the 2nd dose in the DT? I'm only asking because they've been in QT for 2.5 months. No signs, no issues, eating daily, no wierd poop, no spots, and the mandarin has been qt'd for over a month as well.

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could I do the 2nd dose in the DT? I'm only asking because they've been in QT for 2.5 months. No signs, no issues, eating daily, no wierd poop, no spots, and the mandarin has been qt'd for over a month as well.

You can yes.

OP
OP
RichtheReefer21

RichtheReefer21

Scrap Yard Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can yes.
WOOOOOHOOOOOOOO!!

REEF GODS BE KIND TO ME. I HAVE REPENT. I HAVE LEARNED. I HAVE A QUARANTINE TANK AND ROUTINE NOW. I HAVE SAVED FISH LIVES. LET THEM BE HEALTHY! PLEASE!

(Yes I'm going crazy with anxiety right now)

I need a drink.

OP
OP
RichtheReefer21

RichtheReefer21

Scrap Yard Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It never ends in this business...

I have spent the last 3 months prepping, planning, and tending daily to my fish ensuring a safe recovery, this morning... When I feel like I can finally relax and just enjoy my work for a bit, I find myself sitting here at my desk, barely caffeinated, planning and debating my sump design...

After work I am headed to the LFS for my next batch of livestock to QT as a group. Then I will sit back and take a break for while. I need to save about $1k for the sump I have planned. So this will likely be my last splurge of money for quite a while. Will be on the Selling forums daily looking for deals.

Sighhh.... At least I'm not stressed anymore over sick fish and worrying about losing them. Last night they were feeding after an hour in the tank on some Nori I clipped in and gave a portion of mysis. Phewww...

OP
OP
RichtheReefer21

RichtheReefer21

Scrap Yard Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Day 2 with all fish including the mandarin in the new fallowed DT...
To my delight all is well, everyone is already out and about and eating.

Not gonna say all clear by any means. But it's a start in the right direction. Amen

OP
OP
RichtheReefer21

RichtheReefer21

Scrap Yard Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great journey so far.
Will be interesting to see what the new batch of fish will be and more details about that 1K sump.

Thanks. It's been a rollercoaster with the learning curve. Crashed and burned but rising from the ashes now.

Decided to hold off on the new QT batch for a bit to make sure all is well and dialed in with the new tank.

Time flies so itll have new additions soon enough.

OP
OP
RichtheReefer21

RichtheReefer21

Scrap Yard Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Of course I get a text and my favorite LFS is having a flash sale on livestock this weekend.. lol...

Bilbo.gif

OP
OP
RichtheReefer21

RichtheReefer21

Scrap Yard Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welp..

This happened today...

20180922_151237.jpg

4 green chromis.
Zebra sailfin tang (I know I'm supposed to be on tang timeout, last try)
And a midas blenny

The surprise was a Bellus Goby they had, 2 actually... but at $100 a pop, I couldnt gut spending that much for a goby. Meh... QT timer starts now. I'll prazi pro dose the tank in 3 days to give all some time to get adjusted and settled.

Zebra sailfin and midas blenny are already eating some hikaru pellets. Just clipped some nori in, but they've prolly never seen it before.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 45 35.4%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 22.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.1%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.9%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back