OP
RichtheReefer21

RichtheReefer21

Scrap Yard Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So tired of fighting this algae.. really hate dosing DT's... but I might have to try vibrant. ChemiClean and ChemiPure havent worked. May have to give vibrant a shot. Just nervous as hell about my coral...

20180925_163308.jpg

cmcoker

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So tired of fighting this algae.. really hate dosing DT's... but I might have to try vibrant. ChemiClean and ChemiPure havent worked. May have to give vibrant a shot. Just nervous as hell about my coral...

20180925_163308.jpg
Thinking about trying Vibrant myself for my bubble algae plague

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thinking about trying Vibrant myself for my bubble algae plague

I like vibrant. It's worked on cyano and helped me with dinos as well in the past. Plus I am a clean glass freak. It really is amazing how much less you have to scrape when using it.

Janci

Staghorns will prevail
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

20180925_163308.jpg

This is green stuff on the bottom is cyano. I had this before and was easily solved.
Try increasing your flow, lower the light intensity and check nitrates and phosphates.

I see your center wave makers are placed and directed back to front.
It makes more sens to turn them lengthwise as this would have a bigger efficiency.

OP
OP
RichtheReefer21

RichtheReefer21

Scrap Yard Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is green stuff on the bottom is cyano. I had this before and was easily solved.
Try increasing your flow, lower the light intensity and check nitrates and phosphates.

I see your center wave makers are placed and directed back to front.
It makes more sens to turn them lengthwise as this would have a bigger efficiency.

I am about to grab 2 gyre 250's one on each side with that in the center.. I had the pumps set on each end facing in and same result. Also... are u sure its cyano? If I dont stir up the top layer of the bed it starts growing straight up like stalks... I didnt know cyano could that if so..

The hydras on each end and fluval strip in the middle are running 15% whites and no red or greens, 95% blues and purples. Hydras are at 35% UV.

Is there a legitimate risk of corals reacting negatively to vibrant at all?

OP
OP
RichtheReefer21

RichtheReefer21

Scrap Yard Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No3 has been under 10 for 3 months, PO4 barely detectable with API. Getting a redsea po4 kit next week to check against it.

Had a severe outbreak of gha, but I've scrubbed the rock with a tooth brush every 3 days to keep it at bay while I figure out what to do.

Lost a yellow tang in QT, so I got a sea hare, he ain't really helping much to my dismay. Got a midas blenny, tiger spotted goby, and a sailfin tang in QT now, out in 3 weeks. Hopefully I'll get more help from them.

Last edited:

Retro Reefer

Slow and steady wins the race!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have a RO/DI yet? I wouldn’t completely trust LFS water it may be the source of you algae issues and I personally would avoid using any chemical cures except as a last resort.

OP
OP
RichtheReefer21

RichtheReefer21

Scrap Yard Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have a RO/DI yet? I wouldn’t completely trust LFS water it may be the source of you algae issues and I personally would avoid using any chemical cures except as a last resort.

Rodi is coming soon as well... LFS is 4 minutes down the street and I've been using their water the entire time, about 7 months without this ever happening. I'll hit my guy up and see if they have a TDS meter to double check that or if be knows of anyone else having the same issue.

OP
OP
RichtheReefer21

RichtheReefer21

Scrap Yard Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To be honest I think because it ran fallow with a small cuc for 2.5 months the gha and uglies just got a grip and now its gonna be a battle.

Retro Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To be honest I think because it ran fallow with a small cuc for 2.5 months the gha and uglies just got a grip and now its gonna be a battle.

Adding a large diverse clean up crew would help eliminate it and keep it in check.. most people don’t use a adequate CUC, here is what reef cleaners recommends for a 125.. I wouldn’t add that many snails all at once but it gives you a idea of quantities you need for your tank and on top of that you need a bunch of mixed hermits.

1A0A5988-8CFD-41AF-A71F-CA1C7C969DC3.png

Retro Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rodi is coming soon as well... LFS is 4 minutes down the street and I've been using their water the entire time, about 7 months without this ever happening. I'll hit my guy up and see if they have a TDS meter to double check that or if be knows of anyone else having the same issue.

I would make RO/DI system your next purchase before any other equipment.. your LFS water quality can change depending on how well they keep up with there RO maintenance, I personally wouldn’t trust them making my water but if it’s your only option you could get your own TDS meter for like $15 and check each batch before you use it

OP
OP
RichtheReefer21

RichtheReefer21

Scrap Yard Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Adding a large diverse clean up crew would help eliminate it and keep it in check.. most people don’t use a adequate CUC, here is what reef cleaners recommends for a 125.. I wouldn’t add that many snails all at once but it gives you a idea of quantities you need for your tank and on top of that you need a bunch of mixed hermits.

1A0A5988-8CFD-41AF-A71F-CA1C7C969DC3.png

;Wideyed

Retro Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

My rule of thumb has always been 1 per gallon if the tank requires it but the general rule has been as many as 2 per gallon.. on my new 40b I added a 15 piece mixed CUC at the very first sign of algae but since removed about half because there is nothing left for them to eat.. I would start with maybe 30-40 piece mixed crew and see if they can get a handle on your algae if not you can add more, you also have to account for die off as your most likely going to lose some of them in the first few weeks.

Retro Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

20180925_163308.jpg

Going by this picture I think an appropriate CUC would make really quick work of your issues and I would also make sure your water is absolutely pure, IMO it’s the single most important component of a successful reef.

BTW.. really like your rock structure :)

Back