OP
OP
Keen4

Keen4

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, me either. I went with the AquaUV over the Pentair because of the size. The 350 needs a 25+ watt and the Pentair version will not fit.
Yea my 18w pentair is still too big. Im not returning it so Im trying to figure out how to plumb it from behind the DT. Im trying to see if I can get away with not having to cut any part of my back wall in the sump. maybe you can help with suggestions- here are some photos.

IMG_3919.JPG IMG_3918.JPG IMG_3920.JPG

OP
OP
Keen4

Keen4

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Theres 2 inches of space between the wall and the tank. Im thinking to plumb up from the UV then right angle spigots, then pipe down and do some 45 degree elbows and get it into the sump. Then some how join the lines with the return pump. I also need to add a gate valve or a ball valve for the flow control.

OP
OP
Keen4

Keen4

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Or maybe I could just do the braided tubing like you have and run it from the sump up to the pentair behind the DT. But I'll have to figure out how to add a valve between the pump and the UV. or from the UV to the return.

Saltees

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Or maybe I could just do the braided tubing like you have and run it from the sump up to the pentair behind the DT. But I'll have to figure out how to add a valve between the pump and the UV. or from the UV to the return.
I’m using the 1” Black Vinyl Tube from BRS from COR20 to DELTEC 80W UV and from there to the DISPLAY.
I deliberately oversized the UV to achieve the respectable 3X flow rate per hour through my sump and also for protozoa control. DELTEC 80W UV rated for 3600LPH green water divided by 2.4 to 1500LPH for protozoa. REEFER 500P has 500L combined display and sump water volume.
Either install the UV unit vertical like BRS recommends, or horizontally with barb fittings pointing upwards to avoid air trapped in the unit.
Just my 5 cents.

Last edited:

Saltees

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Theres 2 inches of space between the wall and the tank. Im thinking to plumb up from the UV then right angle spigots, then pipe down and do some 45 degree elbows and get it into the sump. Then some how join the lines with the return pump. I also need to add a gate valve or a ball valve for the flow control.
Attached an in-line flow sensor, correct flow is everything for UV.

brandon0921

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I plumbed a AquaUV into my Reefer 350 v3 sump last night. It was a very tight squeeze and because of that, I didn’t get to install it to how I had originally planned. Ideally, I wanted to put ball valves before and after the UV and to place the flow meter on the vertical pipe, but was too limited on space, especially since I went with 1” pipe.
Hope this helps with some ideas. I can post better pictures tomorrow once everything is done drying and installed if you’d like
A77F9FA8-2969-40F2-A048-AC4E6F0E5478.jpeg

OP
OP
Keen4

Keen4

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I plumbed a AquaUV into my Reefer 350 v3 sump last night. It was a very tight squeeze and because of that, I didn’t get to install it to how I had originally planned. Ideally, I wanted to put ball valves before and after the UV and to place the flow meter on the vertical pipe, but was too limited on space, especially since I went with 1” pipe.
Hope this helps with some ideas. I can post better pictures tomorrow once everything is done drying and installed if you’d like
This is perfect- Ok so Im going to follow your routing that you have going on except Im placing mine on the cieling of the sump. I have an ato reservoir that I dont want to remove. So I will plumb up from the Pump like you have but mine will go to the ceiling, then over and angled into the UV input, by pass valve between the input and output barbs (im running both to the UV via vinyl tube) then continue the plumbing over and around down and up into the Return with a check valve. Like this drawing::

435FA01B-50DE-4C5A-BD08-2B35C543D131_4_5005_c.jpeg

brandon0921

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is perfect- Ok so Im going to follow your routing that you have going on except Im placing mine on the cieling of the sump. I have an ato reservoir that I dont want to remove. So I will plumb up from the Pump like you have but mine will go to the ceiling, then over and angled into the UV input, by pass valve between the input and output barbs (im running both to the UV via vinyl tube) then continue the plumbing over and around down and up into the Return with a check valve. Like this drawing::

435FA01B-50DE-4C5A-BD08-2B35C543D131_4_5005_c.jpeg
I had considered the ceiling in some of my original designs. Per the manual, the AquaUV needs to be oriented with the inlet/outlet pointed up.

OP
OP
Keen4

Keen4

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had considered the ceiling in some of my original designs. Per the manual, the AquaUV needs to be oriented with the inlet/outlet pointed up.
Exactly- which is why my UV is going in the back of my DT. Only my limboing will be on the ceiling is what I mean. I stayed up all night salvaging my pieces and making a plan. I tell you what, I’m never going with what the LFS recommends ever again. The last configuration had the pump bypassing the UV input and output and put water up both lines without any pressure. Here’s a pic of my plan: the barbs in the middle are for the input and output.
B8DB7C56-FB0D-4AB0-9EB2-86BE2568823B.jpeg

brandon0921

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Exactly- which is why my UV is going in the back of my DT. Only my limboing will be on the ceiling is what I mean. I stayed up all night salvaging my pieces and making a plan. I tell you what, I’m never going with what the LFS recommends ever again. The last configuration had the pump bypassing the UV input and output and put water up both lines without any pressure. Here’s a pic of my plan: the barbs in the middle are for the input and output.
B8DB7C56-FB0D-4AB0-9EB2-86BE2568823B.jpeg
Looks good. Let us know how it works out for you

brandon0921

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finished her up tonight. Just gotta configure flow rates and flip UV on tomorrow. Any idea what you’re gonna run yours at @Keen4? The manual suggests 800-1200gph but most people have posted they run the 25w around 400gph. I’m hoping to eliminate a mild case of Dinos with mine.

37BC1DFF-D580-45E2-A616-AE4C202DD1D7.jpeg BC094E3E-8FAA-4F92-AE52-A2D68CFEEB08.jpeg

OP
OP
Keen4

Keen4

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finished her up tonight. Just gotta configure flow rates and flip UV on tomorrow. Any idea what you’re gonna run yours at @Keen4? The manual suggests 800-1200gph but most people have posted they run the 25w around 400gph. I’m hoping to eliminate a mild case of Dinos with mine.

37BC1DFF-D580-45E2-A616-AE4C202DD1D7.jpeg BC094E3E-8FAA-4F92-AE52-A2D68CFEEB08.jpeg
Thats so pretty!! Next time I am def doing white pvc fittings because its so much easier to find. Im not sure how fast im gonna run mine. I wanted to prevent algae - but its been such a struggle since I recieved this thing that a whole month of my cycle has passed and now ive got algae growing. Brown algae. I think some of it transferred from my 20 gallon thats full of cyanos and brown algae. I dipped everything in Revive and didn't have the lights on the new tank consistently until now (in the 3rd month of cycling). Who knows. But Yes I wanted to slow the ugly stage which has already started and I cant even get my plumbing up- my partner lost the pentair union fittings so now I have to wait another week for the parts. Gives me time to take my time re-plumbing. I got the M2 Vectra. I dont have a flow control so im gonna be doing the old school bucket test to see about the flow rate.

brandon0921

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats so pretty!! Next time I am def doing white pvc fittings because its so much easier to find. Im not sure how fast im gonna run mine. I wanted to prevent algae - but its been such a struggle since I recieved this thing that a whole month of my cycle has passed and now ive got algae growing. Brown algae. I think some of it transferred from my 20 gallon thats full of cyanos and brown algae. I dipped everything in Revive and didn't have the lights on the new tank consistently until now (in the 3rd month of cycling). Who knows. But Yes I wanted to slow the ugly stage which has already started and I cant even get my plumbing up- my partner lost the pentair union fittings so now I have to wait another week for the parts. Gives me time to take my time re-plumbing. I got the M2 Vectra. I dont have a flow control so im gonna be doing the old school bucket test to see about the flow rate.
Thank you for the compliment and I’m curious to hear your results. I’m also running an m2 if you have any questions about flow rate, I may be able to help you since my flow meter is installed practically right on top of the pump.

OP
OP
Keen4

Keen4

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for the compliment and I’m curious to hear your results. I’m also running an m2 if you have any questions about flow rate, I may be able to help you since my flow meter is installed practically right on top of the pump.
Sweet! I will def want to know what settings you'll have your Vectra. Are you using Mobius? I love that app.

brandon0921

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sweet! I will def want to know what settings you'll have your Vectra. Are you using Mobius? I love that app.
I settled on 250gph for now and tuned the gate valve in last night. I’m getting that flow reading off 1” flow meter which has a 1” connector to a 3/4” bushing into the Vectra. Pump is set for 40%, but I have a battery system which means it was calibrated and I believe the max setting I used was at or around 70%. Therefore, 40% or 70% is ~ 250gph at 1” from 3/4”. Not sure if that’s any help to you, but i figured I’d share in hopes it might save you sometime.

OP
OP
Keen4

Keen4

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I settled on 250gph for now and tuned the gate valve in last night. I’m getting that flow reading off 1” flow meter which has a 1” connector to a 3/4” bushing into the Vectra. Pump is set for 40%, but I have a battery system which means it was calibrated and I believe the max setting I used was at or around 70%. Therefore, 40% or 70% is ~ 250gph at 1” from 3/4”. Not sure if that’s any help to you, but i figured I’d share in hopes it might save you sometime.
Thank you so much- yes this absolutely makes sense to me with the calibration break down of the M2. Almost done with my plumbing! Just waiting for those unions for my pentair, clear check valve, and the grey 45 elbows to get in and Im set. Just finished the manifold a few hours ago. I salvaged as much as I could from the previous config. SO some grays are mismatched and pipe sizes are a little egh. But Its ok. Im still just learning.

IMG_4050.JPG

OP
OP
Keen4

Keen4

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Question- Is there a reason why you didn't do a manifold and do valves for the intake and output of the UV?

OP
OP
Keen4

Keen4

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Plumbing is finally in! I received my 45 degree elbows finally and set it all up. I calibrated my m2 to 70% max like Brandon. Now I wait for the pentair replacement unions. Been through two exchanges of the wrong sizes so far. 3rd times a charm.

A289E939-4915-47C9-9C4A-DCC3E9C47CD8.jpeg

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 34 43.6%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 19 24.4%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 23 29.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.6%
Back