The rise of pet parents & furbabies

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You know this is a pet forum right? People here spend literally thousands of dollars to keep a box of water and I’m supposed to believe that you don’t understand why people love their pets? These things are nothing new and I really don’t understand how it affects you at all.

As I look into my 60g box of glass in my living room that I have spent over 20 grand on on to keep reef creatures thousands of miles from where they were captured and shipped to me I noticed the neighbor walking her dog and am reminded she called it her fur baby once. What a weirdo!

Now let me fire up this band saw and start cutting some of these inhabitants in half….

WVNed

The fish are staring at me with hungry eyes.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This thread is heartbreaking, after reading this question. You don't want to know the answer to this. There's some sickness out there.
After living 60 years I assure you there is very little I have not seen first hand. Flame our first Borzoi came from a puppy mill that was shut down. We got Bear for free. All of his siblings except 2 others we placed are dead. They had accidents. Translation, the backyard breeder couldn't afford to feed them when she couldn't sell them.
Lucky, Rudy and Mia are Shelter dogs. All the animals my kids have are shelter pets. Mocha is a shelter cat.
Louie, Kit and Olive are Tiny day old Kittens found and surrendered to the emergency clinic. They would have been destroyed by the clinic if she hadn't brought them home and accepted the responsibility of feeding them every 2 hours and stimulating them to go potty for many weeks. They will now have homes for the rest of their lives.

17 Years in a drugstore. Many people come in with kids with injuries from abuse or neglect and ask you what to do. They are afraid to take them to the hospital. I have worked with battered wives. One of Jills pharmacy interns had a post on the internet where him and a friend caught a dog and hung it in a tree and killed it. With pics.

Be a good person and spread that around everywhere you go. Do what you can. Dont turn a blind eye ever. Try.

This is Ella.
204ptt-L.jpg
IMG_0233-S.jpg

IMG_0222-L.jpg

She was found running loose. Jeanna spotted her coming home from a band thing. She went back and got her and brought her home. She was very thin, had been skunked and was filthy. We took her to the vet. We tried to find her owners and contacted the county animal shelter. Then we kept her. She became a beautiful animal. We had her about six months.

Then she bit Zoe, and then Jill. She attacked Mia on the porch and almost killed her, right in front of me. Emergency surgery saved Mia.
She bit me when I intervened to stop the attack. I had to put my hand into her mouth to get her to release Mia.
I have never seen anything like that before. A change from day to very dark night instantly.
We had her put down and so we did. It is the responsible thing to do with a dangerous animal.
I suspect who ever had her before knew this and turned her out instead of being responsible.
Sometimes being a pet parent is harder than anything else.

Yet, I would do it again. All you can do is try. It doesnt always work out. Make the effort the next time anyway.

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yet, I would do it again. All you can do is try. It doesnt always work out. Make the effort the next time anyway.

Ella looks like a doberman. I love my doberman, she and my 2 yr old son are best of friends. I'm glad you and your family share your love with those in need. Not many people do. They want their show pony or designer pet.
No matter how you look at it, you are mom or dad to all in your home. You set the laws and the rules. You have to play judge.
My dad always said an old saying at that, "a man's home is his castle".

I agree with you on so many levels.
Be a good person and spread that around everywhere you go. Do what you can. Dont turn a blind eye ever. Try.
We have problems, and cowardice isn't fixing any of it.

20190817_103216.jpg

CanuckReefer

Simple...Salt, Water, LR, Lighting and Flow.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the point was some people expect their personal relationships with their pets want to be accepted as equal to that of a parent and child. It isnt. It seems from this thread the people that think that don't have kids.
As a parent I can assure you it isn't. I have had many pets put to sleep. Would you do that with your child? Have one or 3 and than answer that.

The fact is many people have better relationships with their pet's than many parents have with their kids.

Meh, the world is a complex place.
You make some valid and good points in this thread.... I will be honest with you from my personal standpoint, perhaps too honest...we don't often talk about these things lightly here, they are in fact too heavy at the odd time. Some of us, cannot have kids. We want / wanted too but cannot... adoption is an option , I am adopted myself and had great loving parents, thus that would have been a rewarding avenue for us but the hoops and expense to jump through today up here seemed almost insurmountable. Sad really that way. Thus 'my fur babies' I really don't call them that lol, are my solace, my family in my household, we aren't fortunate enough to have kids. If you've ever heard from one of your relatives or friends that have children 'oh it's just a dog' well...I hear that the odd time, and as you would imagine it infuriates me. In saying all this, Tortoise Daddy Day seems just a bit much, along with dogs running all over tables, and cats encouraged to be vegan....we do have birthdays for the Newf dogs, whether they were rescues adopted, or from breeder, however its not a 'you get to eat from the table tonight Fido ' kinda thing....

WVNed

The fish are staring at me with hungry eyes.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will say nothing more on this except

I absolutely would run back in my house to save Louie or bear or the others if it was on fire. Right after I got Jill and Jeanna or any of the other family members out first.

It's nothing more than understanding there will always be priorities in life, some of the ones you have may be valued differently by others. It is when we use societal peer pressure or the law to enforce ours that problems arise.
Even that though is sometimes necessary.

The ability of well educated individuals to make informed decisions in leadership positions seems to be on the fritz.

Mr_Knightley

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I find these people all the time. My family breeds bird dogs for a living and have done so since I was 4 years old, and the number one trend we've been seeing in the past few years is the pet parent. Most of them are young couples or single moms, so not the typical demographic, but it makes sense. We try to explain to these people the needs of these dogs (very high energy, emotional dogs) but they don't seem to listen. People these days are so used to getting what they want that they don't really want to put in the work of training a dog, cat, or bird. They think that since the animal likes them, they don't need to do anything with it. It comes back biting them when the dog rips up their sibling, nibling, or grandchild. I think a cause of this phenomenon could be that these people remember their childhood pets who were trained & well behaved. Of course, they didn't do the training so they don't remember it.
Funny enough, I'm seeing the same issue with children these days. Spoiled, never told no, and used to having everything done for them.
forgive the rant, I see this so often that its neat to see a discussion about it. I'm an owner of two dogs and a bird, so I'm not saying this as an outsider.

OP
OP
S2G

S2G

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the point was some people expect their personal relationships with their pets want to be accepted as equal to that of a parent and child. It isnt. It seems from this thread the people that think that don't have kids.
As a parent I can assure you it isn't. I have had many pets put to sleep. Would you do that with your child? Have one or 3 and than answer that.

The fact is many people have better relationships with their pet's than many parents have with their kids.

Meh, the world is a complex place.

I think we're at the point of them demanding it. Somewhere along the way instead of educating ourselves on our animals when just humanize them to understand them. We give them the best human life we can instead of the best specific animal life we can replicate.

if that’s truly the point I agree it’s a problem. And yeah, I don’t think my relationship with my dog is the same as I have with my stepdaughter.

that said I do value the relationship I have with my canine. If for no other reason that it’s mind blowing to me that two completely unrelated species can form such a bond and understand eachother to the degree we do.

I over reacted. I admit that. But as someone who has had dogs be a more secure part of my life than family, I can’t get behind the idea that people who turn to animals as a form of solace are an issue if they take care of said animals.

I’ll be real. I don’t like most people. I’ve been burned many times. Haven’t been burned by dogs. Yeah they’re not people. And it doesn’t replace people. But it helps when you have no where to go, and your family throws you out in the dark.

and I truly believe we, as a species, could learn a lot if we took the time to try and interface with the other residents of this mudball we call home.

we’re animals too after all. We have a higher opinion of ourselves. And yeah, we can put together some cool toys for a bunch of bipedal hairless monkeys. But yeah.

Those terms strike a nerve on both sides of the coin, but its good to get people in for discussion .

This seems to be the root cause. Poor human relationships. Which is very sad, but at the same time ironic. The same people preaching how they prefer the company of animals due to poor people interaction & say they're pets provide the same complex relationship....seem to seek human interaction through forums, groups, etc. So if your animal is providing you with everything you need emotionally then what are they doing here?

What I touched on above is instead of using they're smart device to understand their animals behavior they just treat them as they would a child which comes with consequences. A dogs social structure is way different than our own as is their diet. A reptile is on another planet difference. Just because

We're being silenced & forced to accept this extremely odd behaviour instead of acknowledging as a whole this is unhealthy for the animals & very unhealthy mentally for a human.

CanuckReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think we're at the point of them demanding it. Somewhere along the way instead of educating ourselves on our animals when just humanize them to understand them. We give them the best human life we can instead of the best specific animal life we can replicate.

Those terms strike a nerve on both sides of the coin, but its good to get people in for discussion .

This seems to be the root cause. Poor human relationships. Which is very sad, but at the same time ironic. The same people preaching how they prefer the company of animals due to poor people interaction & say they're pets provide the same complex relationship....seem to seek human interaction through forums, groups, etc. So if your animal is providing you with everything you need emotionally then what are they doing here?

What I touched on above is instead of using they're smart device to understand their animals behavior they just treat them as they would a child which comes with consequences. A dogs social structure is way different than our own as is their diet. A reptile is on another planet difference. Just because

We're being silenced & forced to accept this extremely odd behaviour instead of acknowledging as a whole this is unhealthy for the animals & very unhealthy mentally for a human.
Lol, brutal the second half of your post...but at least you are honest. Why take the dig? Cause thats just what it was. Who is silencing you and forcing you lol? The thought police? And furthermore to YOUR point above, what are you doing here making threads on this forum in The Lounge of all places? It's your thread, but man alive, it is too funny the contradiction. I think I'm gonna go eat some pretzels now.

OP
OP
S2G

S2G

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I find these people all the time. My family breeds bird dogs for a living and have done so since I was 4 years old, and the number one trend we've been seeing in the past few years is the pet parent. Most of them are young couples or single moms, so not the typical demographic, but it makes sense. We try to explain to these people the needs of these dogs (very high energy, emotional dogs) but they don't seem to listen. People these days are so used to getting what they want that they don't really want to put in the work of training a dog, cat, or bird. They think that since the animal likes them, they don't need to do anything with it. It comes back biting them when the dog rips up their sibling, nibling, or grandchild. I think a cause of this phenomenon could be that these people remember their childhood pets who were trained & well behaved. Of course, they didn't do the training so they don't remember it.
Funny enough, I'm seeing the same issue with children these days. Spoiled, never told no, and used to having everything done for them.
forgive the rant, I see this so often that its neat to see a discussion about it. I'm an owner of two dogs and a bird, so I'm not saying this as an outsider.

Exactly where I'm coming from english pointers here. I feel for you if you breed gsp's

Last edited:
OP
OP
S2G

S2G

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol, brutal the second half of your post...but at least you are honest. Why take the dig? Cause thats just what it was. Who is silencing you and forcing you lol? The thought police? And furthermore to YOUR point above, what are you doing here making threads on this forum in The Lounge of all places? It's your thread, but man alive, it is too funny the contradiction. I think I'm gonna go eat some pretzels now.

That wasnt my intention.

The literal police. I guess I'm more exposed than most. Covid forced me to move closer into town & to change jobs to a more "well off" part of town with a high number of the more radical mindset.

Over by my job they fought the no pets allowed ordinances & so now they're allowed about everywhere. I've seen dogs barking at people in the grocery store & all kinds of mess.

Then theres my neighbors. I have a few English pointers. I've had the cops called on me like 5 times. I had them outside when it was 90 with half the yard shaded & them playing in the pool, called for using collars to get them to come back, using a cord to train them to come here, & keeping homer pigeons for training. There was a group of people acting like I had a Michael Vick thing going on. One ladies dog looks like friar tuck with hair loss & the others will attack you if they get out. Then theres the dm's wanting buy a puppy

Then I went to a little party a guy at work invited me to. So I go in & we walk to the back. The names sounded strange, but whatever. When we get to the back it was no lie for 2 tortoises. I laughed thinking it was a joke...it was not. These things were so deformed they could hardly move & had free run of the house. Ok, be polite & let's run out the door in a min. So we're eating well I'm drinking a coke. All the sudden this dogs hops up & tries to drink my coke which I shoo off. They kicked me out the house...you will not do that to my children.

Most forums & groups ask you to turn a blind eye. Fish people seem to be the only ones rational enough to talk about it. Really blew me away to experience all this in less than 6months.

HomebroodExotics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There's terrible fish owners as well. Again this is literally a pet forum and you are complaining about people and their pets. SO weird.

Do you propose we remove pets from society?

Last edited by a moderator:

CanuckReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That wasnt my intention.

The literal police. I guess I'm more exposed than most. Covid forced me to move closer into town & to change jobs to a more "well off" part of town with a high number of the more radical mindset.

Over by my job they fought the no pets allowed ordinances & so now they're allowed about everywhere. I've seen dogs barking at people in the grocery store & all kinds of mess.

Then theres my neighbors. I have a few English pointers. I've had the cops called on me like 5 times. I had them outside when it was 90 with half the yard shaded & them playing in the pool, called for using collars to get them to come back, using a cord to train them to come here, & keeping homer pigeons for training. There was a group of people acting like I had a Michael Vick thing going on. One ladies dog looks like friar tuck with hair loss & the others will attack you if they get out. Then theres the dm's wanting buy a puppy

Then I went to a little party a guy at work invited me to. So I go in & we walk to the back. The names sounded strange, but whatever. When we get to the back it was no lie for 2 tortoises. I laughed thinking it was a joke...it was not. These things were so deformed they could hardly move & had free run of the house. Ok, be polite & let's run out the door in a min. So we're eating well I'm drinking a coke. All the sudden this dogs hops up & tries to drink my coke which I shoo off. They kicked me out the house...you will not do that to my children.

Most forums & groups ask you to turn a blind eye. Fish people seem to be the only ones rational enough to talk about it. Really blew me away to experience all this in less than 6months.
Well it sure seemed it...YES we are tired of Tortoise Daddy collective, it's bizarre, agreed. Its the point taken to extreme. If you are seeing some sort of societal decay based on people having special days for their dogs I don't know what else to say. I just don't see it....last I checked I thought I was well adjusted...I eat meat happily for example....also give my pup a whack under the chin if she deserves it, or needs a correction....

Scorpius

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see myself as a cruel prison warden/dictator/kidnapper/ where I force other's of my kind to give me organisms from the ocean that I forcefully imprison in a 3ft. glass box. I tell them when to eat. I tell them where to live. I tell them when it's daytime. I tell them when it's night time.

This was sarcasm if you didn't realize. lol

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 1 6.7%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 12 80.0%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 2 13.3%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back