The rise of pet parents & furbabies

CanuckReefer

Simple...Salt, Water, LR, Lighting and Flow.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I unfollowed this thread and deleted my original post because I didn’t want to cause this thread to be a devolution into flaming.

I have had dogs my entire life. Some have been the only companions I had when my family completely ostracized me and left me homeless.

and guess what? In a joking, satirical way I do consider my dogs “fuzzy kids”. Do I literally consider myself to be their father? No of course not. Have I ever tried to anthropomorphize them into actually human children? Heck no.

but I care more about my canines in a literal sense than many people I know who have children who have no business procreating, care for their children

and honestly, if I am someone who tries to make sure my pup has the best diet possible, has the best enrichment I can provide, and realizes that I’m quite literally in charge of my pups entire World… why is my relationship with my dogs a problem?

I know my current pup is an animal. I also know we humans quite literally created dogs, and they depend on us. And despite the fact he had been a stray, was injured, and shows all the signs of having been a bait dog prior to being a stray, he adores me and my family. He has given me his trust and love.

so again, what’s the problem if I call him my fuzzy son in a satirical manner?

OP, I think you’re compliant is more focused on whether or not some people have any business being responsible for any other creature, rather than how some of us view our companions.

and yeah, when it’s my dogs birthday, I get them something special. An extra favorite chew treat. Maybe I make them some scrambled eggs.

I love them. And I choose to show my love in that way.
Solid post.... our dogs have been there for us, when the chips were down so to speak. Death of Father and Mother years back, they were emotionally in tune with us. Now of course they didn't come talk to me lol but they could sense things weren't right. Amongst other life issues over the years. Many of ours have been rescues as well, they sense that trust you have placed in them and vice versa. My 'crew' is a team, the way I look at it....and good for you on the scrambled eggs! I might have to do that this wknd for the girl lol....

BeltedCoyote

Philosopher king of the Memes
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Solid post.... our dogs have been there for us, when the chips were down so to speak. Death of Father and Mother years back, they were emotionally in tune with us. Now of course they didn't come talk to me lol but they could sense things weren't right. Amongst other life issues over the years. Many of ours have been rescues as well, they sense that trust you have placed in them and vice versa. My 'crew' is a team, the way I look at it....and good for you on the scrambled eggs! I might have to do that this wknd for the girl lol....

thank you. I definitely recommend the scrambled eggs. Every pooch I’ve had loved/loves them and eggs are a great source of protein for them.

pumpkin is also a good one. Surprisingly all of my dogs have loved it and it’s great for when they’ve had gi issues. Good fiber to head off lower GI issues and they seem to love the taste. Canned pumpkin is my go to in such situations

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have an unhealthy attachment to your animals? Do you recognize that they are in fact animals and not children?

Do you celebrate your dogs birthday with a cake and candles for the dog?

I mean if it was a doggy sized cake made of doggy approved ingredients then it would be ok?

Or do you mean like actual people food? With people frosting and too much sugar and hopefully not chocolate?

My dog doesn’t get table scraps but he gets peanut butter or cheese as a treat sometimes.

It seems like this has more to do with the poor care of animals and how people can be delusional like the cats having vegetarian diets or people thinking they have the right to take dogs into places that they are not allowed.

WVNed

The fish are staring at me with hungry eyes.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We have always done kids and pets. It's a perfect combination.
KirkGretchen-L.jpg

Our first of each

CanuckReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thank you. I definitely recommend the scrambled eggs. Every pooch I’ve had loved/loves them and eggs are a great source of protein for them.

pumpkin is also a good one. Surprisingly all of my dogs have loved it and it’s great for when they’ve had gi issues. Good fiber to head off lower GI issues and they seem to love the taste. Canned pumpkin is my go to in such situations
We fill our pups kong with her food and pumpkin and freeze it! Keeps her busy for 10 minutes lol.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another thought… cats are obligate carnivores…. Yet so many cat food companies put vegetables in their food. It saves them money and people probably think it’s healthy. Saw a can that said chicken noodle soup and it has whole peas and carrots in it.

Sure it won’t hurt the cat but it’s not like pet companies are not pushing stupid products for $$$ and probably giving people the wrong idea. Pea protein is cheaper then meat.

BeltedCoyote

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another thought… cats are obligate carnivores…. Yet so many cat food companies put vegetables in their food. It saves them money and people probably think it’s healthy. Saw a can that said chicken noodle soup and it has whole peas and carrots in it.

Sure it won’t hurt the cat but it’s not like pet companies are not pushing stupid products for $$$ and probably giving people the wrong idea. Pea protein is cheaper then meat.

very briefly dated a girl who was judge mentally vegan. Insisted she was ethically obligated to feed her cats vegan.

I’ve never seems such unhealthy, mangy, sickly cats. Worse than strays

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
very briefly dated a girl who was judge mentally vegan. Insisted she was ethically obligated to feed her cats vegan.

That is so depressing and sad and people like that should be reported and fined for animal cruelty and their cats taken away.

If you do not like to touch or feed meat, that’s fine but then you get a pet rabbit or other vegetarian and not a cat.

BeltedCoyote

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is so depressing and sad and people like that should be reported and fined for animal cruelty and their cats taken away.

If you do not like to touch or feed meat, that’s fine but then you get a pet rabbit or other vegetarian and not a cat.

agreed. Perhaps I should have reported it. I’m sad to say I didn’t because I had 10,000 red flags waving in my face and wanted to get out of there ASAP.

not proud of not reporting at the time…

BeltedCoyote

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My urchins love me. Look at them smile.
2021051908072167--810826898120291911-IMG_3615_HEIC-L.jpg

Ned, for all your talk of doing things “wrong”, you clearly care deeply for the little slice of ocean you have.

and your humor is just a bonus to the awesome content you share.

Zer0

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

This is the type of thing that people should be worrying about, because this is literal animal abuse. Calling or referring to your pets as your children is trivial and harmless, so long as you are actually taking care of them.

BeltedCoyote

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is the type of thing that people should be worrying about, because this is literal animal abuse. Calling or referring to your pets as your children is trivial and harmless, so long as you are actually taking care of them.

my point exactly

CanuckReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Holy 'mackerel' those kitties coulda used some... just sad...

BeltedCoyote

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Holy 'mackerel' those kitties coulda used some... just sad...

im now ashamed I didn’t report it. At the time I genuinely didn’t want to do anything but get out of there. And I didn’t want to do anything that would get me embroiled in any further conflict with her…

WVNed

The fish are staring at me with hungry eyes.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ned, for all your talk of doing things “wrong”, you clearly care deeply for the little slice of ocean you have.

and your humor is just a bonus to the awesome content you share.
What you fail to understand is I also worry about people that think they can have a fulfilling emotional relationship with a turtle or a fish or a sea urchin. I don't think that is healthy. Yes you can have one with cats and dogs, large parrots and certain other animals. I do with my furry friends. But it not the same as being with someone or having kids and raising them. Good pets are more like a really good desert after you had a meal. You shouldnt just live on cake and ice cream.

Back