The rise of pet parents & furbabies

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My friend got her fiancé a Father’s Day card from the dog. It’s cute and who cares. It’s not like it’s hurting anyone and he probably likes it as she was being thoughtful and ya… maybe silly.

Animals are less for fieldwork these days or catching mice and more for companionship.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I mean I get it. We love our pets I know I do, but we do realize we're not actual mothers/fathers to these animals right? It seems to me we've crossed the figurative realm & invaded the literal realm. Those animals above are literally being crippled from improper care, yet owner praised as being a good mom for the celebration.
Yes, "I am making my own reality" is a real thing. It is hard to image folks who have tried to make a reef work "like the real thing" getting too caught up in the idea of creating their own reality when their Xenia dies?

But this is what people do here in the fallen place. It's not a happy place unless you are at McDonalds, especially the PlayLand!

WVNed

The fish are staring at me with hungry eyes.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
iu

As affectionate as a turtle without the mess

WVNed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is our reality
There are 7.9 billion people on earth. That's 7,900,000,000
Lets say 50 million people think something
50 million people can make a big show and a lot of noise about it, especially if they group together in one place
The more they group together in one place the less they matter everywhere else

but they are

50,000,000/7,900,000,000 = 5/790 = 0.006 = 0.6% of all humans.

Which is irrelevant in the great scheme of things.

That's just the way it is. So standing there shouting in a crowd or posting on Facebook may make them feel better but does it matter. Not really.

Last edited:

WVNed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
O.cmon ned lets be coral daddys together....
D
Sorry, I am more of a fish daddy. They love me so much and come to the side of the tank and dance for me.
Louie loves me. He just brought me a mouse as a tribute to my awesomeness.

I made a few mistakes with Louie. He thinks he is a German Shephard.
2019101610051695-7129093825371122076-IMG_1622-L.jpg

OP
OP
S2G

S2G

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your last sentence there his the nail on the head.

I'm a sales rep in the pet supply industry for the last 5 years, and there had been a HUGE uptick in the verbage of "pet parents" bring used to sell products. It's something I cringe at every time I see it or hear someone use those words.

Animals are being bred for looks, at the expense of their physical well being. Pug for dogs, or any dog with a shortened snout have really taken a turn for the worse. The dogs literally can't breathe if they get a slight head cold or any type of inflammation in the sinuses. The people that carry small dogs everywhere are absolutely abhorrent. Those dogs are the worst behaved because people view them as "babies" because they're little. They never get trained or disciplined properly, and go on to have miserable lives because they are taught to be scared of everything and have everything done for them.

There's nothing wrong with having a pet for companionship, but proper care for animals needs to be a priority. Small dogs need to be trained just as larger breeds are. Large breed and muscular breed dogs need exercise, and no the guy with his pitbull mix on a treadmill isn't mistreating the dog, he's ensuring the animal gets the exercise it NEEDS to stay healthy.

There is a difference between a pet and a child, and we need to start recognizing that more.

Ok, I'm done ranting now.

This is exactly what I'm getting at. It seems we're getting played by the industry & social media. Majority of the time it's just a cover up for subpar care or an excuse to have an animal you cant handle.

Ok so I say 2+2=5. Do people say no that's not right or do they say I respect your answer because you love math so much. Why does this incorrectly terminology get a pass for some reason

Last edited:

Pntbll687

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is exactly what I'm getting at. It seems we're getting played by the industry & social media. Majority of the time it's just a cover up for subpar care or an excuse to have an animal you cant handle.

Ok so I say 2+2=5. Do people say no that's not right or do they say I respect your answer because you love math so much. Why does this incorrectly terminology get a pass for some reason
It gets a pass because people want everyone to "feel good" about what they're doing for the animal.

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was a vet tech in a former life, and our vet would not talk to people about animals being overweight. He felt it would upset the client. So, it was laid upon me to do so. I had no problem talking to people about the pets health. What was good or bad for the animals and why we are in charge of it as their owners.

I will never understand the idea of a vegetarian cat. They are not even omnivores. Cats are carnivores. Do not feed your cat a vegetarian diet. Seriously, not helping the animal.

I do not have a problem with them calling themselves mommies or daddies to their pets. Whatever. Just words. As long as they are caring for the animals properly. As stated, trained, proper diet, exercise and stimulation.

Only thing is, after having kids, my animals may be like my kids in some ways, but they are not my children. I love my dogs waayy more. Haha. JK. It is totally different, but still love.

JMO

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really don’t understand how what people call themselves or their pets relates to their care?

You can be a good or bad at caring for animals regardless of a name? It is just a word?

I mean it’s stupid when people carry their small dogs into stores with ridiculous clothing on where dogs are clearly not allowed and it’s dumb when people use the term emotional support animal to bring them onto planes and places they don’t belong. They are not service animals.

I am not sure that everyone who calls themself a pet parent falls into that idiocy though.

Last edited:
OP
OP
S2G

S2G

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was a vet tech in a former life, and our vet would not talk to people about animals being overweight. He felt it would upset the client. So, it was laid upon me to do so. I had no problem talking to people about the pets health. What was good or bad for the animals and why we are in charge of it as their owners.

I will never understand the idea of a vegetarian cat. They are not even omnivores. Cats are carnivores. Do not feed your cat a vegetarian diet. Seriously, not helping the animal.

I do not have a problem with them calling themselves mommies or daddies to their pets. Whatever. Just words. As long as they are caring for the animals properly. As stated, trained, proper diet, exercise and stimulation.

Only thing is, after having kids, my animals may be like my kids in some ways, but they are not my children. I love my dogs waayy more. Haha. JK. It is totally different, but still love.

JMO

Yeah the catchy title was more to draw people in for discussion. A lot of people use those terms in a figurative way. It makes me snicker, but no big deal. Your caring for your animal as the animal it is.

Your cat diet example is what I'm talking about. They're taking the parent deal in a literal sense & loving the animal into poor health. At this point it's the anthropomorphism realm. As a society we've seemed to normalize this odd behavior at the cost of an animals welfare.

Tonycass12

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My wife and I regularly refer to our 3 pups as our girls. It took a long time for our parents to accept that these may be the only grand babies they are getting from us. We spoil them and treat them like kids they get meals when we take them out to the local breweries and we organize our vacations to take them with us whenever possible. I love my extra furry daughters lol. You see anything wrong with this?

Attachments

• 20210215_174102.jpg
    20210215_174102.jpg
    188.5 KB · Views: 7
  • 20201212_162853.jpg
    20201212_162853.jpg
    158.5 KB · Views: 9
  • 20200923_175435.jpg
    20200923_175435.jpg
    248.8 KB · Views: 8
  • 20200510_202542.jpg
    20200510_202542.jpg
    127.7 KB · Views: 9
  • 20210621_174515.jpg
    20210621_174515.jpg
    390.4 KB · Views: 8

Pntbll687

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My wife and I regularly refer to our 3 pups as our girls. It took a long time for our parents to accept that these may be the only grand babies they are getting from us. We spoil them and treat them like kids they get meals when we take them out to the local breweries and we organize our vacations to take them with us whenever possible. I love my extra furry daughters lol. You see anything wrong with this?
Do you have an unhealthy attachment to your animals? Do you recognize that they are in fact animals and not children?

Do you celebrate your dogs birthday with a cake and candles for the dog?

BeltedCoyote

Philosopher king of the Memes
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I unfollowed this thread and deleted my original post because I didn’t want to cause this thread to be a devolution into flaming.

I have had dogs my entire life. Some have been the only companions I had when my family completely ostracized me and left me homeless.

and guess what? In a joking, satirical way I do consider my dogs “fuzzy kids”. Do I literally consider myself to be their father? No of course not. Have I ever tried to anthropomorphize them into actually human children? Heck no.

but I care more about my canines in a literal sense than many people I know who have children who have no business procreating, care for their children

and honestly, if I am someone who tries to make sure my pup has the best diet possible, has the best enrichment I can provide, and realizes that I’m quite literally in charge of my pups entire World… why is my relationship with my dogs a problem?

I know my current pup is an animal. I also know we humans quite literally created dogs, and they depend on us. And despite the fact he had been a stray, was injured, and shows all the signs of having been a bait dog prior to being a stray, he adores me and my family. He has given me his trust and love.

so again, what’s the problem if I call him my fuzzy son in a satirical manner?

OP, I think you’re compliant is more focused on whether or not some people have any business being responsible for any other creature, rather than how some of us view our companions.

and yeah, when it’s my dogs birthday, I get them something special. An extra favorite chew treat. Maybe I make them some scrambled eggs.

I love them. And I choose to show my love in that way.

BeltedCoyote

Philosopher king of the Memes
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can do all that stuff and have kids, grandkids too.
IMG_3091_heic-M.jpg
2020042511235120--4817506943336425918-IMG_2538-M.jpg

2021051706061303--6539195646493208669-image000000-S.jpg
IMG_3246-S.jpg

IMG_3267-S.jpg
IMG_1436-S.jpg

very true. I don’t have kids of my own yet. So I have a “fuzzy dog son” who I try to provide the best dog life I can.

and I do my best to be a better father for my stepdaughter than her dad has been

CanuckReefer

Simple...Salt, Water, LR, Lighting and Flow.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your family and ours is pretty darn similar I have to say... every word of your post in fact lol! Here is the latest wee one btw... followed by the past four.

20210612_185339.jpg
20210621_182607.jpg

Back