The Rise of the Phoenix: The Phoenix 700

FARMBOYREEF

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey R2R! Well, I'm finally taking the advice of @revhtree and starting a build thread here. I figured what better time than now as my Phoenix 700 build is finally off the ground and running. I'm super excited to share the progress with everyone and figured this was the perfect place to document everything.

First, here's a photo of me and @revhtree at Reef-A-Palooza. Always a fun time.

Photo 2017-06-24, 5 19 06 PM.jpg

I will be putting together a full equipment and livestock list, but for now, I just want to give some highlights until I pull all the information together.

I built the Phoenix 700 from the ground up. From installing the glass to building the sump and everything in between, I've planned and built out every detail. So far, it has been an amazing journey for me. It hasn't been easy but it sure has been rewarding.

On Easter 2016, I hit devastation when I had a leak in my 220 gallon tank. I had that tank running for years - it was the first tank I set up when I entered this hobby, so that loss was monumental for me. I decided to take that as a sign that it was time to move on and out of the ashes of the 220, rose my Phoenix.

As I document this journey, I promise I will share every part of this. The good, the bad, the ugly. I feel like sharing information is the only way we can all truly learn so hopefully you enjoy and follow along with me. I also love to hear from people so post up your thoughts, send me a note, let's have some fun.

First, we start with the 220 heartbreak. This video explains what happened and while it was definitely heartbreaking for me, I feel like it has really pushed me to be better and build better.

Then we get to some photos of the Phoenix! Out with the old, in with the new.

63195508-20DD-46D2-88CE-2452666F0911.JPG
Getting the scape set up in the Phoenix 700 - 700 pounds of rock and tons of sand. Before installing the tank, I had to shore up the supports for the floor/house to account for all the weight of the tank, equipment, sand, water, rock.

IMG_9243.jpg
And we have water! Adding water into the Phoenix after getting the rock scape situated.

IMG_9242.jpg
Another angle

FullSizeRender.jpg
Me in the fish room! The life support of the Phoenix

IMG_9235.jpg
Another shot of the fish room.

Last edited:

Labridaedicted

Wrassetastic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Uhhhhhh...... that fish room......... Wow! Well, along for this ride! Looks like it's going to be an epic build!

trevormass7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sweet! Thanks for finding me here. Which do you like better: YouTube or Instagram?
Both, when I'm busy I can just look at Instagram really quick. When I have free time I can sit and enjoy the video. Can't wait till I have my own place and can do a large build like this

OP
OP
FARMBOYREEF

FARMBOYREEF

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Both, when I'm busy I can just look at Instagram really quick. When I have free time I can sit and enjoy the video. Can't wait till I have my own place and can do a large build like this
Appreciate that! Feel free to reach out if you ever have any questions. And good to hear the feedback on Instagram and YouTube.

Reef man 89

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely can't wait to see this tank fully stocked!! This build is absolutely wild. Good job on your fish room looks super clean. Been watching your video for awhile now and love everyone of them. Can't wait to for the the next update

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 33.8%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 19 23.8%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 7 8.8%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 6.3%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 20 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.5%
Back