The Salty Shelf- 6.5g Bookshelf Pico Tank

Polyp Punk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone!
I am starting up a 6.5 gallon bookshelf reef tank. My previous tank lost a battle to dinos unfortunately. I started that 15 gallon tank with dry rock which was the biggest mistake EVER! I have been in the hobby for 7-8 years. I always started with LIVE rock and all of my tanks were successful. I wanted to try a negative space aquascape and boy did I regret it. No matter what I did I could not shake the dinos. The lack of biodiversity in the tank just was not enough to overcome and catch up to the dinos. I have noticed a ton more reefers struggling with dinos and cyano more than ever before and I can almost guarantee its because of the increase in use of dry rock. Having the huge bacterial population on the rock from the ocean is vital to a successful tank. We should really promote the use of live rock more. If I was not experienced my last tank would have chased me out of the hobby. I broke this tank down and now I have this really cool pico bookshelf tank. I started up this tank with KP aquatics live rock from the Florida keys! I received the rock last Friday and it is incredible! The colors and life on the rock is unbelievable. The filter I chose was the Aquatop 15-25 gallon and im using my Kessil A360x with the 35 degree reflector. I might even try and go with some SPS pieces because I have more than enough power with this light from my last tank. I am currently cycling the tank. Its almost finished my ammonia is about .10 so I will be adding fish very soon! my plan for this tank is a mixed reef. I have limited space so i am going to try and use it wisely with expensive rare pieces. I have a jawbreaker mushroom in the tank right now and its doing well. I hope you enjoy and participate in this tread! Stay tuned! Below is a top down picture of the tank. More pics to follow !

image1.jpeg

Last edited:

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thanks for sharing! Congratulations on the new adventure - it sounds like it’ll be a fun ride!

OP
OP
Polyp Punk

Polyp Punk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Almost 1 month, how the tank looks like after this blackfriday?
Bad news guys. Long story short if you didn’t know. I had a 15g before this tank. Riddled with Dino’s. I have 7-8 years experience and I still couldn’t get rid of them so I broke it down and started up this 6.5 gallon. The only thing I transferred from my old tank were the fish. Well unfortunately the Dino’s have found a way to the new tank and I’m infested again. This time around I think I have a better shot because I started with live rock. I just dosed algae barn Galaxy pods with phyto. Im trying the hands opproach this time around and just hope the ecosystem corrects itself instead of playing with chemicals and messing with it too much. Algae barn does promote that the phytoplankton do help with Dino’s. I would be pleasantly surprised. Only time will tell. I will post a picture of the tank this afternoon!

OP
OP
Polyp Punk

Polyp Punk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
GOOD NEWS!!! Seems as if the dinoflagellates are mostly eradicated. The dosing of nitrates and phosphate was the only intervention that was effective to FINALLY overcome the Dino’s. The dosing of Algae Barns “Galaxy Pods” was a great #2 for support but not enough to stop it alone. I’m so excited for the future of this tank! Recent additions to the tank are the Jason Fox butt Kracks and GMK zoanthids. I will start posting pictures. Although this tank has a nice footprint, 6.5 gallons is only so much room so my plan for this tank is exclusively high end pieces only. PUMPED!

Gumbies R Us

Another Fish in the Sea
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
GOOD NEWS!!! Seems as if the dinoflagellates are mostly eradicated. The dosing of nitrates and phosphate was the only intervention that was effective to FINALLY overcome the Dino’s. The dosing of Algae Barns “Galaxy Pods” was a great #2 for support but not enough to stop it alone. I’m so excited for the future of this tank! Recent additions to the tank are the Jason Fox butt Kracks and GMK zoanthids. I will start posting pictures. Although this tank has a nice footprint, 6.5 gallons is only so much room so my plan for this tank is exclusively high end pieces only. PUMPED!
Glad you got rid of the Dinos!!!!

OP
OP
Polyp Punk

Polyp Punk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad you got rid of the Dinos!!!!
What a tough battle. Finally the tank is doing so well. It’s hitting its stride for sure. Here is a pic of the TSA disco Hammer! Gold during the day and it’s a teal/gold at night.

Attachments

• E5A6A0CB-2DF0-4550-89E8-BFBF204F4394.jpeg
    E5A6A0CB-2DF0-4550-89E8-BFBF204F4394.jpeg
    256.6 KB · Views: 36
OP
OP
Polyp Punk

Polyp Punk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow. These are my perfect parameters .This tank is really settling in. I have the greatest coral blueprint in mind. There is very little real estate in this 6.5 gallon so my plan is to only add high end pieces. I will post an updated livestock list. Stay tuned! This is going to get exciting!

Attachments

• 2300CFC1-67D9-4E49-B06A-49FF9271F2A4.jpeg
    2300CFC1-67D9-4E49-B06A-49FF9271F2A4.jpeg
    104 KB · Views: 25

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 79 38.2%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 69 33.3%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 26 12.6%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 31 15.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back