The Seahorse Habitat Tank

Henn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all, there has been some activity here in saving the Ponies from the recent Heat Wave. The Corrals are cooled at night by radiator ( pool solar heater ). The recent 110 F days and hot nights caused the Corrals to get into the 80's. The population had been around 60 per corral at the End of May. Ten days ago the count was less than 20 with no Fry apparent. This happens because the Ulva on the surface can get to near 90's. On 061820 a Sanctuary Style Dwarf Seahorse Tank was put together. Very fortunately here was a set of ANNEX Cores seasoning in the Main Marine Pond. The filled Unit was run overnight and Operation Rescue began. The Refugium ( right side 2 gallon ? ) was primed with several bottles of Tigger Pods and Rotifers from the systems. The Refugium is fed each day with 20 ml of USDA Raw Whole Shrimp Puree. The Main Pony Volume ( 6 gallons ) is fed by the Refugium Outflow. It took 5 days to catch all the Ponies ( there were some Fry hiding ). The pregnant males began having Fry within a day ( 9 witnessed from 3 males ). Several have begun eating microscopic Shrimp Particles that exit the Refugium. This is where they will be staying. It seems that 3 pairs and 12 loose are a minimum and 16 pairs and 16 loose will be a maximum.
I gave up conventional Pony tanks when I reached 35 gallons ( 3, 5, 10, 35 ) and was running three 20 gallon Brine Shrimp Hatcheries with Infusers and powered Plankton Pumps. It was a Feed Lot that produced Fry and unusually Large Dwarf Seahorses. In the Corrals they are 3/4 inch to 1 1/4 inch adults, 1 1/2 large and very few 1 3/4 inch. In the original Tank there were wrong size matches with up to 12 tiny Fry. Several individuals reached 2 inches and ate large volumes. A 2 inch male that was repatriated to the Corrals had 5 and 7 Fry respectably in the Original Tank. In the Corral, it mated with a 3/4 inch female and had 3 Fry ( Big Yellow had one heck of a life, he passed at 1 3/4 years, in his sleep, his mate beside him, she later took a new and younger partner ). The average Pony Pregnancy in the Corrals is 2 to 4 Fry. The Fry are much larger and can begin socializing right away.
The Corrals are going back to Macro Algae and Lettuce Nudibranch. The Ponys seem quite happy in their new home. It looks very relaxing as a night light. What are your thoughts??? Once you have built up your numbers and gotten tired of Brine Shrimp, come over to the Sanctuary Tank.
Borne free, as free as the tides flow, as free as the winds blow, you get the idea, Follow the threads, start something new. Don't be a Whisperer, be a Listener. Please Forward to anyone who can help this change. Someday these Sanctuaries may be all they have left. I would also like to see a Sanctuary Tank for Hippocampus Erectus. It is very possible and must be done soon.

ANNEX Reactor Assembly next to Marine Pond Protein Cannon.jpg Pony Tank 072520 Self contained Dwarf Seahorse Habitat ANNEX System started 062020.jpg Till Spring.jpg Arborial Forest of Flying Horses.jpg Different Tank Build 072520 Self Contained Reef Tank ANNEX System started 062020.jpg

ChrisB4

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm very interested in how you do this. I don't have a tank set up yet, because I'm still debating on whether I want to go to all the work that brine shrimp require. I don't really understand your posts about your setup, though.

rayjay

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Click on his name and when that comes up click on "find all posts" and see his other posts about his dwarf projects.
He writing style is unusual and it takes me sever reads to understand most of what he is explaining.

OP
OP
H

Henn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all, The Different Tank and the Seahorse Sanctuary Tank are going great. The large number of Fry and pregnant males have forced an unspeakable sin. Brine Shrimp have become a temporary necessity. the Tiger Pod Refugium still has several weeks to get up to speed and the Tulle Fabric Mesh has not gotten really fuzzy yet. The main group of seahorses nest in the Palm Bristles up front. Each morning and night they get several Puffs of Brine Shrimp larva ( inst 2 ) and liquid shrimp puree. Several have started sucking up shrimp micro particles along with the larva. The feed takes the load off the rotifers and tiny stuff the fry like. I am lucky that my Brine Shrimp water comes from my Marine Pond and is Plankton Loaded to start. After use it goes into the Macro Algae Tank. The live Plankton water starts off golden green and goes clear between hour 36 and 48 when ready.
Tank Build Facts>>
The Different Tank and the Seahorse tank are now the exact same. The Seahorse Tank has a Tulle Fabric Basket Insert. After pushing it in the tank. Lay the Tank face down and put a 9 inch Pie Tin where the Screen is to be. Run a Silicon Bead around and cut loose ( careful ) after cured.

Filter facts>> All the Mechanical, Aerobic, and Anaerobic Action takes place in the Two DIY Hand Wound Bobbins. No live rock is necessary at all. It was put in the Different Tank to be a Reef Base. The Seahorse Tank has No Live Rock on purpose. It has stingy things and is dirty. The Two Bobbins do all the work ( at much greater efficiency due to Flow and special Anaerobic Zones between Knitted HDPE Ribbon. They are never replaced, they do not clog up ( rotifers can get inside and clean ). The Protein Cannon is separate and runs on air. It is also all that is needed for water changes. Water is run through the Filter Bobbins by a small water pump ( 12 volt or 5 volt USB 5 Watt ). The pump sits atop the Filter Assemble. All the Parts are Off the Shelf Fresh Water Foam Filters ( 12 dollars or so on the internet ). They are great parts that fit together to make all the stuff needed. There are no hard parts to make.

It takes about 6 hours to make the Tank ( s ) including the Silicon Rubber Cure Time. The Bio Cores are 85 % Shade Cloth ( Knitted HDPE Ribbon ) from any Home Center ( 6 inches by 8 ft ). Three tie raps complete each Bobbin. Using any Tank Cycle Method ( Shrimp ? ) and some Tank Start, the Tank will be Coral ready in 7 Days total ( Seahorse ready as well except for Grow Out
Pony Tank 072520 Self contained Dwarf Seahorse Habitat ANNEX System started 062020.jpg
). The Seahorse Tank here got pre Seasoned Bio Bobbins from the Main Pond and got Seahorses the next day. People are having trouble with Bacteria colonizing much faster when the Matrix is ideal. It only takes 7 Days ( Different Tank Build ) from dry tank. With pre Seasoned Bobbins, it takes no time.

Main Concern>> The Refugium in the Seahorse Tank is very small. Permanent Brine Shrimp are not an option. The population will be adjusted to match the Refugium and the Tulle Mesh. The overflow will go in the Macro Algae Tank ( protected from the weather ). That tank has a 12 Cubic Foot refugium and no supplemental feeding will occur. It will be a Natural Buffer for the inside Tank. Anyone that does a 10 gallon can give away any extra Seahorses to reach the Steady State. This Tank may only hold 20 maximum of All Ages. It needs to grow out.

scimmer operation of trimmed 5 ml dropper.jpg Different Tank Build 072520 Self Contained Reef Tank ANNEX System started 062020.jpg

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 19 19.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back