The Seawitch Lose Your Mind First Saltwater Tank Where I Make All The Mistakes So You Don't Have To.

Discussion in 'Member Tanks' started by Seawitch, Nov 7, 2018.

1. Seawitch

Seawitch Water, water everywhere, Staff Member R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Partner Member 2019 R2R Secret Santa Build Thread Contributor Article Contributor Article Administrator

Well, folks, I've been cutting bait for 10 years after a long history in FW. But if I'm going to hang around in R2R, then I guess I better go fishing and start at least one tank. I have plans for a much bigger system, but I thought something relatively small in an upstairs bedroom that I use as an office might be nice. Our house is split-level, and the basement and first ground level is on a slab.

But it just so happens that I have a still-in-the-box brand new little 30G (I think) in the basement. At least I think it's 30G. I won't know for sure until I start spelunking later today. So, I'm going to dust it off, take it upstairs, and start doing something. Of course, doing research is different from actually *doing* it.

I've got a phone call in to the former home owners (who built the house) to find out which way the floor joists run upstairs. As soon as I know that, I'll pick the location. In the meantime, I guess a RO/DI unit is the first order of business. That will go in the basement because that's where I anticipate the big system will be eventually.

So hold on to your hats everyone, Seawitch is heading out to sea.
    IMG_3040.JPG

Tags:

2. mta_morrow

mta_morrow It costs HOW much?!!! R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Reef Squad SCAA Member Build Thread Contributor Hospitality Award

Don’t forget your life jacket!

3. Dsnakes

Dsnakes Knight Reefer R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Reef Squad Partner Member 2019 Reef Tank 365 Build Thread Contributor Hospitality Award

Awesome! I’ll be following along :) a 30g tank won’t make much impact on weight of your floor.

4. Katrina71

Katrina71 Valuable Member R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award R2R Secret Santa Build Thread Contributor Hospitality Award

I have that tank! You'll enjoy it!

5. mta_morrow

mta_morrow It costs HOW much?!!! R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Reef Squad SCAA Member Build Thread Contributor Hospitality Award

Agreed, I had a 30 and would not be concerned about placing it anywhere.

6. Katrina71

Katrina71 Valuable Member R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award R2R Secret Santa Build Thread Contributor Hospitality Award

The Coralife 32 stand works for it btw.

7. Katrina71

I use stock lights in mine. It will (so far) grow anything.

8. hdsoftail1065

hdsoftail1065 Valuable Member R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Reef Squad Partner Member 2019 Build Thread Contributor Hospitality Award

Nice, following along to see what kind of spell a Seawitch can cast on that tank!

9. Katrina71

+1 I'm excited!!

10. Katrina71

I will say up front ditch the stock filters. Get an InTank media basket.

Flippers4pups, ubasu, SPR1968 and 4 others like this.
  11. Oscaror

Oscaror On A Break R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Reef Squad Partner Member 2019 R2R Secret Santa

Following ;)

12. Katrina71

Your Coven is here! We've got your back.

13. Florida Sunshine

Florida Sunshine Active Member R2R Supporter Partner Member 2019

Looking forward to seeing what comes next.

SPR1968, NY_Caveman, Seawitch and 2 others like this.
  14. Seawitch

Seawitch Water, water everywhere, Staff Member R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Partner Member 2019 R2R Secret Santa Build Thread Contributor Article Contributor Article Administrator

Wow, thanks for all the replies. I didn't know this would be popular. @Oscaror I was waiting for you. I'll have a new update momentarily.

15. dantimdad

dantimdad Valuable Member R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award R2R Secret Santa Build Thread Contributor North Alabama Reef Club

You had me at Coven!

@Seawitch you have already attracted the bad kids crowd. Good on ya!

Following...

16. Seawitch

Update: 19:56 local time. So, I lugged that box upstairs and one other that I found--again unopened. I wasn't even sure what was in it, or what I was thinking when I bought it or if the stuff is any good.

I read that these threads are more interesting if there's a lot of detail, so here goes: I kept FW for years. Fifteen years ago I had 8 tanks running including 4, 75Gs. I bred cichlids and sold them to pet stores. Ten years ago, I left my job, moved to another province and got remarried. And I gave away everything to the local aquarium society. Everything. I have nothing. Well, I kept my potassium permanganate. Not sure how much I'll use it in SW, but I have to say that I'm partial to it.

So, I opened the boxes and found a few useful things, and a lot of less than useful things. A refractometer. Some Salifert test kits--not sure if they're good or not. Some air stones, pumps, things that will be okay for a Qtank, which I don't have yet. Methylene Blue. First order of business is a RO/DI unit. Will work on that tomorrow.

So, here are some photos. This is my "daughter's room". The daughter who is 29 next week, has a Ph.D., and lives in another city. Well, I always want her to feel like she can come home. But I like this room and work at the desk a lot. And you can see my little helpers. NOT. Did you notice that two are wearing diapers?

The joists are running the way I want, so I can put the tank(s) on the wall next to the desk, which is an inside wall. Not sure on what yet. DT and QT. Which I have to buy. Like this weekend?

I'm going to hang up my broomstick for the evening. Good night, all.

Stay tuned,
    Seawitch

IMG_3042.JPG IMG_3041.JPG
    IMG_3043.JPG IMG_3045.JPG

17. Oscaror

Oscaror On A Break R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Reef Squad Partner Member 2019 R2R Secret Santa

Sweet! I live vicariously through other people's build threads, since I can't start my own yet ;Hilarious

18. SPR1968

SPR1968 Fish & Coral Addict! R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Reef Squad R2R Secret Santa UK Reef Club Member Reef Tank 365 Build Thread Contributor Hospitality Award

Great pictures and write up so far and thanks for sharing it with us

And welcome to R2R as well!

19. NY_Caveman

NY_Caveman secretly in love with a chunky Lobophyllia R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Reef Squad Build Thread Contributor Hospitality Award

Looks like this is going to be a fun build! Welcome aboard!

20. Victoria M

Victoria M Valuable Member Build Thread Contributor

Gonna be following along.

Draft saved Draft deleted