The Seawitch Lose Your Mind First Saltwater Tank Where I Make All The Mistakes So You Don't Have To.

Seawitch

Water, water everywhere,
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, folks, I've been cutting bait for 10 years after a long history in FW. But if I'm going to hang around in R2R, then I guess I better go fishing and start at least one tank. I have plans for a much bigger system, but I thought something relatively small in an upstairs bedroom that I use as an office might be nice. Our house is split-level, and the basement and first ground level is on a slab.

But it just so happens that I have a still-in-the-box brand new little 30G (I think) in the basement. At least I think it's 30G. I won't know for sure until I start spelunking later today. So, I'm going to dust it off, take it upstairs, and start doing something. Of course, doing research is different from actually *doing* it.

I've got a phone call in to the former home owners (who built the house) to find out which way the floor joists run upstairs. As soon as I know that, I'll pick the location. In the meantime, I guess a RO/DI unit is the first order of business. That will go in the basement because that's where I anticipate the big system will be eventually.

So hold on to your hats everyone, Seawitch is heading out to sea.
IMG_3040.JPG

mta_morrow

Of course I have room for 1 more fish!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome! I’ll be following along :) a 30g tank won’t make much impact on weight of your floor.
Agreed, I had a 30 and would not be concerned about placing it anywhere.

OP
OP
Seawitch

Seawitch

Water, water everywhere,
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update: 19:56 local time. So, I lugged that box upstairs and one other that I found--again unopened. I wasn't even sure what was in it, or what I was thinking when I bought it or if the stuff is any good.

I read that these threads are more interesting if there's a lot of detail, so here goes: I kept FW for years. Fifteen years ago I had 8 tanks running including 4, 75Gs. I bred cichlids and sold them to pet stores. Ten years ago, I left my job, moved to another province and got remarried. And I gave away everything to the local aquarium society. Everything. I have nothing. Well, I kept my potassium permanganate. Not sure how much I'll use it in SW, but I have to say that I'm partial to it.

So, I opened the boxes and found a few useful things, and a lot of less than useful things. A refractometer. Some Salifert test kits--not sure if they're good or not. Some air stones, pumps, things that will be okay for a Qtank, which I don't have yet. Methylene Blue. First order of business is a RO/DI unit. Will work on that tomorrow.

So, here are some photos. This is my "daughter's room". The daughter who is 29 next week, has a Ph.D., and lives in another city. Well, I always want her to feel like she can come home. But I like this room and work at the desk a lot. And you can see my little helpers. NOT. Did you notice that two are wearing diapers?

The joists are running the way I want, so I can put the tank(s) on the wall next to the desk, which is an inside wall. Not sure on what yet. DT and QT. Which I have to buy. Like this weekend?

I'm going to hang up my broomstick for the evening. Good night, all.

Stay tuned,
Seawitch

IMG_3042.JPG IMG_3041.JPG
IMG_3043.JPG IMG_3045.JPG

Oscaror

Back In It
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update: 19:56 local time. So, I lugged that box upstairs and one other that I found--again unopened. I wasn't even sure what was in it, or what I was thinking when I bought it or if the stuff is any good.

I read that these threads are more interesting if there's a lot of detail, so here goes: I kept FW for years. Fifteen years ago I had 8 tanks running including 4, 75Gs. I bred cichlids and sold them to pet stores. Ten years ago, I left my job, moved to another province and got remarried. And I gave away everything to the local aquarium society. Everything. I have nothing. Well, I kept my potassium permanganate. Not sure how much I'll use it in SW, but I have to say that I'm partial to it.

So, I opened the boxes and found a few useful things, and a lot of less than useful things. A refractometer. Some Salifert test kits--not sure if they're good or not. Some air stones, pumps, things that will be okay for a Qtank, which I don't have yet. Methylene Blue. First order of business is a RO/DI unit. Will work on that tomorrow.

So, here are some photos. This is my "daughter's room". The daughter who is 29 next week, has a Ph.D., and lives in another city. Well, I always want her to feel like she can come home. But I like this room and work at the desk a lot. And you can see my little helpers. NOT. Did you notice that two are wearing diapers?

The joists are running the way I want, so I can put the tank(s) on the wall next to the desk, which is an inside wall. Not sure on what yet. DT and QT. Which I have to buy. Like this weekend?

I'm going to hang up my broomstick for the evening. Good night, all.

Stay tuned,
Seawitch

IMG_3042.JPG IMG_3041.JPG
IMG_3043.JPG IMG_3045.JPG
Sweet! I live vicariously through other people's build threads, since I can't start my own yet ;Hilarious

Aquatic acrobat in your aquarium: Have you ever kept an eel?

• I currently keep an eel in my tank.

Votes: 29 14.6%
  • I have kept an eel in my tank in the past.

Votes: 33 16.6%
  • I have not kept an eel in my tank, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 36 18.1%
  • I have no plans to keep an eel.

Votes: 98 49.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.5%
Back