The Secret Side of My Reef

Roosterjack

Struttin’ and Cluckin’
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I built my 180 aquascaping as a ridge, positioned about 60% of the way back from the front glass, allowing a pretty decent channel for my fish to swim in and for detritus to be removed. While I am sure this general setup isn't unique I am wondering if any of you have seen the back side of that rock work turn into a "decorated" area.

I did not intentionally decorate the back of the rock work, but I did move a few frags that looked to be doing quite poorly to the back. I couldn't bring myself to throw away a coral that still had some life in it, but was probably not long for the world. Well, several of those frags have decided to revive and start growing. In addition to this, a rainbow bubble tip that I was 99% certain had died has re-emerged, looking quite healthy if a bit small...on the back of the rock work.

What I would like to know is if anyone has any ideas on how to make this area of the tank a bit more visible while the pumps are on. Of course if I have the flow going the surface agitation makes it pretty tough to see looking downward. The tank is positioned against a wall, with plumbing running through the wall and an adjacent closet through to my fish room. I can't move the tank, obviously.

Here is what I have come up with thus far...pure brainstorming and none of these ideas are at all fleshed out. I am looking for your input to help me avoid wasting time and money on something that simply won't work. Please feel free to offer your thoughts.

Idea 1: Clean the back glass (not too encrusted with coralline yet, and install a wide angle camera or two through the wall.

Idea 1b. Instead of a wide angle camera(s) use a pan/zoom camera.

Idea 2. Something using mirrors that can be adjusted. My wife suggested this, essentially a mirror on a stick or a flexible arm of some sort, like the arm that holds a hobby magnifier or lamp.

So...is it even worth doing? What ideas do you have or input? Thanks in advance!

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did a similar scape with rock in the middle. I put stuff in the back behind the rock work on the "sand" too but most just formed a top cap if you will lol. It only worked visually because of how low my stand and tank are. I have a top down view at all times.
It just sucked trying to reach anything in the back.

I left the "outter circle" clutter free in hopes of having a 360 degree swimming space for larger fish in such a small tank..
20200228_083022.jpg

Back