The secret to super long toadstool polyps (borderline weeping willow)

AKG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So this might be extremely subjective, but I have a 15 gallon all in one that I put a green polyp toadstool into. I was doing some high light for a while but recently turned my nicrew 30w all the way down to the lowest blue setting and left the toadstool in a corner under the return flow.

I can honestly say that in the following two weeks, PE went from 1/2 inch, to almost triple that. The polyps themselves have also shrank in circumference to accomodate this length and... You guessed it, it looks almost exactly like it's getting into Japanese Weeping Willow territory if this trend continues. I've attached very short 3 second video to give you all an idea of what it has become this last week. I'll update if this continues!!!

Attachments

• PXL_20221022_164524245.mp4
    8.7 MB

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Moderate flow and low lighting with a trace of strontium in the water
So this might be extremely subjective, but I have a 15 gallon all in one that I put a green polyp toadstool into. I was doing some high light for a while but recently turned my nicrew 30w all the way down to the lowest blue setting and left the toadstool in a corner under the return flow.

I can honestly say that in the following two weeks, PE went from 1/2 inch, to almost triple that. The polyps themselves have also shrank in circumference to accomodate this length and... You guessed it, it looks almost exactly like it's getting into Japanese Weeping Willow territory if this trend continues. I've attached very short 3 second video to give you all an idea of what it has become this last week. I'll update if this continues!!!

OP
OP
AKG

AKG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
PXL_20221023_170442522~2.jpg

Can you give us some pictures. I can't view the video

Pictures pls
Photo attached. :)

Sink_or_Swim

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I wonder if lowering the light is what made it extend its polyps, like when shrooms or zoas extend upwards when they want more light. Either way, looks cool!

mrpontiac80

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wonder if lowering the light is what made it extend its polyps, like when shrooms or zoas extend upwards when they want more light. Either way, looks cool!
Mine has polyps that can get pretty long although I’ve never thought too much about it. But you’re probably on to something with the light.
Mine sits in between two large rocks in the center of the tank. The rock to the left has an overhang that shades some of it. I’ll throw a couple of pics up so you can see the placement. The majority of polyps are about 1”-1.5” long. The outer edges in more light are .25-.5” long
It gets a bit of flow as it’s always waving. It seems to like the flow
D76F5C1B-19DE-4C9B-AFCC-05EDD3224FBD.jpeg
B6B916B5-605C-49AB-AA47-A63FD1E381FC.jpeg

Sink_or_Swim

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine has polyps that can get pretty long although I’ve never thought too much about it. But you’re probably on to something with the light.
Mine sits in between two large rocks in the center of the tank. The rock to the left has an overhang that shades some of it. I’ll throw a couple of pics up so you can see the placement. The majority of polyps are about 1”-1.5” long. The outer edges in more light are .25-.5” long
It gets a bit of flow as it’s always waving. It seems to like the flow
D76F5C1B-19DE-4C9B-AFCC-05EDD3224FBD.jpeg
B6B916B5-605C-49AB-AA47-A63FD1E381FC.jpeg
Beautiful tank! And yes, after looking at that pic, you can definitely see the longer polyp extension in the shaded part. Interesting how they really can look like a long-polyp toadstool or Weeping Willow just from placement! I love the Neon green of these - definitely need to get one. I feel like I have too much tan/pink in my tank, lol.

Rp8

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have one that is white. Extremely long polys always reaching unless I bump it. Then they lay down or shrink. They are under a hybrid setup on the high side of par. I have no idea how jake adams had his so chilled out waving I the flow.

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 137 60.1%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 64 28.1%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 81 35.5%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 40 17.5%
  • Other

Votes: 63 27.6%
Back