The Shadow™ Overflow from Synergy Reef has arrived!

Reefercorey

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure if you can see it in this picture... but the small ridge at the bottom of the overflow doesn't sit flush against the glass of the tank. There is about a 1cm gap between the two. This is because my tank is very shallow and the drain pipes are up against the stand so it wont allow that ridge to rest on the glass of the tank. Will this cause any type of problem or should it work fine?
IMG_4739.JPG

mixer911

Make them green with envy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure if you can see it in this picture... but the small ridge at the bottom of the overflow doesn't sit flush against the glass of the tank. There is about a 1cm gap between the two. This is because my tank is very shallow and the drain pipes are up against the stand so it wont allow that ridge to rest on the glass of the tank. Will this cause any type of problem or should it work fine?
IMG_4739.JPG

Ideally you want it to be flush and the piece that is under the back side to allow it to fit flush with the tank glass, creating a good seal. It may leak water under the bottom of the 2 gaskets that are going thru the tank. Do a test fill and see what happens. Worst case just let me know if you have any issues and I can make some spacers to go inbetween the box and the tank that will off set the box more. Not a big deal.

mckinleyw

AIRBORNE REEFER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am curious as to how far below the top of the internal box is the top of the external box. im playing around with designs and trying to place this product on a possible future tank and would love to be able to see where everything will sit in my sketches.
Thanks.

mixer911

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks great! Can these be bought in Europe?

@Pny We have distributors in Norway and Belgium that have them in stock. Or we can ship international if that doesn't work. Just email us [email protected]

I am curious as to how far below the top of the internal box is the top of the external box. im playing around with designs and trying to place this product on a possible future tank and would love to be able to see where everything will sit in my sketches.
Thanks.

Send us an email and we can see what we can do.

tammieh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm in the planning stages for a 8'x30"x30" peninsula tank in a major home renovation. Should be ready to start set up this coming May. Since there's no plans currently to revamp the 20" model, would you recommend the new 16" or the old 20"? I really will only have room for one at the wall end. I see the 20" can handle higher flow rates, but is that necessary or recommended for this size / dimension tank? Up to now I've only had 150g as my max size of tank.... nothing as custom as this tank is going to be.

Last edited:

mixer911

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm in the planning stages for a 8'x30"x30" peninsula tank in a major home renovation. Should be ready to start set up this coming May. Since there's no plans currently to revamp the 20" model, would you recommend the new 16" or the old 20"? I really will only have room for one at the wall end. I see the 20" can handle higher flow rates, but is that necessary or recommended for this size / dimension tank? Up to now I've only had 150g as my max size of tank.... nothing as custom as this tank is going to be.

Hi @tammieh ,

That would be approx. 375 gallons. For flow rates I would run 2000 - 3500 GPH thru it. I would lean toward the 20" Model with that tank. That being said, it really depends on how much flow you plan on running thru the sump. The 16" Shadow is currently rated at 1500 GPH, but in reality can handle higher flow rates. We have ran over 3000 GPH thru the Shadow in our initial testing. We are going to be doing some more official flow tests here soon with videos. We will be using very accurate flow meters in our future testing to show the real capability of it. The Shadow is more than capable of handling that size tank, it just depends on how you design your flow thru it. Thanks for asking and WELCOME TO REEF2REEF!

mckinleyw

AIRBORNE REEFER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The long awaited How to Drill your tank video is up! In this video we show you how to properly drill your aquarium for the Shadow[emoji768] Overflow. We walk you through, step by step, drilling a glass aquarium.

Awesome video. Thank you for that. And really good job on the narrative.

mixer911

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome video. Thank you for that. And really good job on the narrative.
Thanks! I wanted to try and make it as simple and thorough as possible. We are working on the "How to plumb the overflow" now. Should have it ready next week if everything goes as planned.

mckinleyw

AIRBORNE REEFER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! I wanted to try and make it as simple and thorough as possible. We are working on the "How to plumb the overflow" now. Should have it ready next week if everything goes as planned.
What kind of overflows are u planning to show? Just the bean or are u planning on showing how to do others?

captainsmitty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ahoy there,
I don't know if this has been addressed, but I am curious about the height of the return lines in the tank. Should they be higher, equal or lower than the fins in the siphon box? I have not drilled the returns yet and wanted to find out what the opimal would be. I have a black rim stock 37 gal tank which i have mounted the overflow box at the top of the inside of the tank.
Thanks for the guidance in advance.
Smitty

Engloid

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ideally you want it to be flush and the piece that is under the back side to allow it to fit flush with the tank glass, creating a good seal. It may leak water under the bottom of the 2 gaskets that are going thru the tank. Do a test fill and see what happens. Worst case just let me know if you have any issues and I can make some spacers to go inbetween the box and the tank that will off set the box more. Not a big deal.
I had 4 small plastic pieces that came with mine. Each have sticky on one side. Is that what they are for? Also...why did I get two of the things with slots for water to pass through? They look identical.

mixer911

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ahoy there,
I don't know if this has been addressed, but I am curious about the height of the return lines in the tank. Should they be higher, equal or lower than the fins in the siphon box? I have not drilled the returns yet and wanted to find out what the opimal would be. I have a black rim stock 37 gal tank which i have mounted the overflow box at the top of the inside of the tank.
Thanks for the guidance in advance.
Smitty

Hi Smitty,

It is really up to you where they go. Just remember that the lower they are, the more water they will drain out of your tank when the pump is off. In other words water will back flow down these if they are lower that the running water level in the tank. There is no right or wrong way to do it, whatever you feel is where you want them will work. As a reference we drill ours about 2" (on Center of bulkhead) from the top of the inside trim. Then use loc line and are able to adjust the returns to whatever height you want.

I had 4 small plastic pieces that came with mine. Each have sticky on one side. Is that what they are for? Also...why did I get two of the things with slots for water to pass through? They look identical.

Here is what the plastic pieces that are included are for. It is just paper on them, it's not sticky, just remove it. go to 3:36 on the video

Not sure what you mean by "two of the things with slots for water to pass trough" but I am assuming you mean the U-Pipes. They are identical and are necessary for the quietest setup. They are for plumbing the rear box like this, go to 7:00 on the video

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.7%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 30.4%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 27 23.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back