The Sheer Number of Supplements on the Market is a Joke. What Happened to Trying to Create a Natural Environment?

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was just thinking earlier about the ridiculous number of supplements and additives which are a huge part of the hobby nowadays. Not only are a lot of them essentially snake oil, many are ridiculously expensive as well! I'm not saying that there's no place for some supplements as some actually are essential such as calcium, magnesium, and alk along with a few others in the hobby but it seems to have gotten way out of hand. It seems that it would be much better to maintain a tank in as natural a manner as possible. Why not get back to the basics of establishing a new tank with some quality live rock and instead of soaking your fish food in vitamin supplements feeding them a much more natural diet which would supply them with the vitamins and minerals they need naturally? With the exception of bacterial additives (and some of them are unnecessary as well) it almost seems like we're trying to support creatures from some other planet sometimes. I simply feel that the most natural way is the best choice often for both the animals and your wallet.

PR_nano

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pay Day Money GIF by Anderson .Paak

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is nothing natural about keeping a slice of the ocean in a glass box in the middle of Utah (insert your state here.)

But yes, people make this hobby way harder than it needs to be.

I was about to say, these are not natural environments. Heck, its not even a slice of the ocean, but rather bits and pieces from things living all over the world in different niches and environments within a reef.

RichReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All I use is Seachem Reef Builder (ALK and Strontium) and Reef Advantage (CAL and MAG).

Regular 2 week water changes.

The only thing I have to dose is iodine because of my ATS and it's very little.

Carbon change every other water change.

I have used and plan to use phyto in my new set up and I will culture my own.

Can keep everything else. Not interested.

OP
OP
livinlifeinBKK

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Which products are you referring to?
Just for example, the dozens of coral supplements some of which add things the corals aren't lacking, carbon dosing supplements composed of proprietary formulas which could be achieved through vodka or simple sugar, some vitamin supplements that are unnecessary if the fish are being fed a diverse diet...

OP
OP
livinlifeinBKK

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was about to say, these are not natural environments. Heck, its not even a slice of the ocean, but rather bits and pieces from things living all over the world in different niches and environments within a reef.
I believe I actually mentioned that it's not the ocean so it can't be perfectly natural...however with the addition of whole supplement regiments it becomes increasingly artificial (sort of like fast food has become increasingly artificial)

Waynerock

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stick with what you know works and the rest will fade away. Yes it seems the newer gen of reefers are oblivious to the snake oils on the market. They are aware of such a thing existing but believe everything out is legit…they mostly are not. 20 years ago we had 1 or 2 that worked and we knew about and 20+ things that did not work that we also knew about. Some of those items are STILL out today. I AM LOOKING AT YOU PURPLE UP!! Fool me three times what the he!! Was I thinking.

OP
OP
livinlifeinBKK

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is nothing natural about keeping a slice of the ocean in a glass box in the middle of Utah (insert your state here.)

But yes, people make this hobby way harder than it needs to be.
My point was that the methods employed to care for the animals in the middle of Utah should be more natural. The addition of phytoplankton is an example of a natural way to feed filter feeders that we still do commonly. I just feel we should adhere more closely to natural practices like that.

OP
OP
livinlifeinBKK

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are the organisms not natural? If the organisms are in fact natural then they evolved to obtain everything they need to survive in a specific way. It's in their best interest for us to do our best to provide for their needs in those ways (aka naturally).

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
My point was that the methods employed to care for the animals in the middle of Utah should be more natural. The addition of phytoplankton is an example of a natural way to feed filter feeders that we still do commonly. I just feel we should adhere more closely to natural practices like that.

Phyto is a nice supplement to employ but I have found it is not needed in any way for a thriving reef.

I have found bacteria and carbon dosing to produce some of the best results for me. It feeds the entire system and corals respond well. I found cyano usually creeps in at some point if you stick with just one carbon source. Some of the aquarium specific carbon products have merit to them. But yes, there are a lot of pretty bottles with fish stickers slapped on them that are nothing special. No real formualtion or thought.

OP
OP
livinlifeinBKK

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Phyto is a nice supplement to employ but I have found it is not needed in any way for a thriving reef.

I have found bacteria and carbon dosing to produce some of the best results for me. It feeds the entire system and corals respond well. I found cyano usually creeps in at some point if you stick with just one carbon source. Some of the aquarium specific carbon products have merit to them. But yes, there are a lot of pretty bottles with fish stickers slapped on them that are nothing special. No real formualtion or thought.
Yeah, I agree with carbon dosing too and I wasn't considering bacterial additives supplements

ZoWhat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Vodka in the AM
ISO phyto in the evening
WC every 15 days
Near perfect tank

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My point was that the methods employed to care for the animals in the middle of Utah should be more natural.
Who said you get to control how Utah's tank Should be managed?

I have no say in your tank in Thailand and don't want it.

One of the most amazing things about this hobby is the ability for so many people to do it differently, while enjoying varying levels of success..

Go check out the last 6 months worth of reef of the month posts. Most of them write out what they are using/dosing/additives.

I'll guarantee you don't find a single KISS tank in there. At some point water changes just are not enough.

OP
OP
livinlifeinBKK

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Q: What happened?????

A: Capitalism is working correctly by incentivizing research and corporate investment in new product offerings that you as the consumer get to choose to purchase or not, at Your discretion.
You're post is pretty far away from the question posed in the title...Yes, that is how capitalism works. The reason for the existence of supplements wasn't being questioned...

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 168 62.2%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 70 25.9%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 93 34.4%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 46 17.0%
  • Other

Votes: 70 25.9%
Back