Discussion in 'TL Reefs' started by TL Reefs, Sep 16, 2017.

The significance of reef tank lighting; a semi-scientific documentary.

With the constant debates about different lights and which is better, I figured I'd share a recent experience. Many people believe lighting is...
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JoshH

JoshH Not happy with things here taking a break from R2R R2R Supporter Partner Member 2018 Build Thread Contributor

I enjoyed the article with step by step pictures and observations the author made. Great read TLReefs, I would have hoped the discussion would revolve around members experience's with switching from a economical brand of LED to a higher end set up. But it looks like a bunch of irrelevant comments about science. Who cares what's in the title, a lot of people can learn something from this article and hopefully newbies can eventually come here to learn about people's experience who have made the switch. Certain childish comments should be removed from this discussion as they are pointless. So we can get back to what this forum is all about, learning and growing as reefers from everyone sharing their experience's. People shouldn't have to be concerned about posting something here and getting pointless backlash about it. Anyway on that note, does anyone have any experience in changing over LED light set ups?

Last edited: Oct 10, 2017

2. CenlaReefer

CenlaReefer Active Member Louisiana Reef Club

I just started using a set of these very same lights. You do not even run the other white channel at all? Only 60% of the blue channel and you still have good growth with SPS corals?

3. rock_lobster

rock_lobster Valuable Member R2R Supporter

Honestly it could have been hundreds of different things to cause the second images to look better lol. Most of those corals are very low light demand so it wouldnt make sense for them to look terrible under the original lighting and then stunning with a light change. Kenya trees can be kept very happy under a 5w shoplight so Im not so sure that just upgrading the lights had much of anything to do with it. Rather more than likely it would have been a change in the tank stability like alkalinity, ph, nutrients, temperature, flow, you name it.

4. sghera64

sghera64 Active Member

Sorry about my ambiguity. At the peak of my lighting cycle my spectrum power is:

Blue = 60%
    White = 40%
    Moon/UV = 60%

As I understand the spectral energy contribution that light provides to coral, most of the contribution comes from several frequencies or radiation in the UV/Blue range and one more minor one perhaps in the red range.

5. DSC reef

DSC reef Coral wasted R2R Supporter Reef Squad R2R Excellence Award Reef Tank 365 Build Thread Contributor

While I agree it's still safe to say that since they take care of the tank the upgraded lights still made a dramatic difference in the corals and I applaud them for sharing.

Lovemyreef2015 likes this.
  6. rock_lobster

Definitely not “safe to say...” you would have to have a control tank to even consider making a statement like that. Also have to know what the term confounding variables means and if you did you would know this article has absolutely zero validity.

7. DSC reef

DSC reef Coral wasted R2R Supporter Reef Squad R2R Excellence Award Reef Tank 365 Build Thread Contributor

Your entitled to your opinion. I just disagree. Plenty of validity and many people appreciate the info.

8. rock_lobster

Lol its not an opinion but thanks please read about validity. Its similar to this example: person with a terminal disease just drank some water out of a small mountain stream because they read it could cure the disease but coincidentally one day later, they also had 500,000$ worth of chemo radiation therapy. One week later amazingly the disease is cured so they will now recommend that everyone with this disease travel to this mythical stream and drink the water.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2017
  9. DSC reef

Lol. Take it easy. No need to be rude. Happy reefing.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.