The Silver Linings Tank Thread, or "My 180G Build"

mixer911

Make them green with envy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like you're doing it right! Looking great. Watch out for those floor joists!

OP
OP
PedroYoung

PedroYoung

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like you're doing it right! Looking great. Watch out for those floor joists!
HaHa, you can see the pilot hole we drilled in the center, was JUST too close. Be easy to fix it with a couple 45's. Going to set pipe clamp blocks behind the penetrations next to take the force off the overflow.

mixer911

Make them green with envy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't make me come down there and inspect it lol.... I can tell from your attention to detail that you will do it right! Seriously this is a really nice build. Looking forward to seeing it running. But if you're like me, then building it is most of the fun!

OP
OP
PedroYoung

PedroYoung

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't make me come down there and inspect it lol.... I can tell from your attention to detail that you will do it right! Seriously this is a really nice build. Looking forward to seeing it running. But if you're like me, then building it is most of the fun!
Actually it's a little stressful for me. High stakes with plenty of potential for catastrophe :(, but it is rewarding when each little step gets me closer to getting it wet. I'll feel much better when everything's leak tested (successfully). Thanks for all your insight and tips Rick (and a kick butt sump)!!

OP
OP
PedroYoung

PedroYoung

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finished the penetrations for the lines from the return pump. Pic of the cabinet with all 5 holes.
image by Peter Young, on Flickr

Basement side of the overflow plumbing. You can see why I had to shift the center hole in the cabinet bottom to miss the joist underneath. I'm going to use the left-most hole for the main siphon since it will have the straightest run to the sump (basically straight down, then 2 45's into the sump.

Full shot of the basement joists where I'll be coming down.

Rough layout of the plumbing on the return lines. I'm running 1.5" out of the sump up to a 1.5" Tee with 1" reducing bushings on both exits. Then through ball valve (in case I need to run on one line for some reason) then flow meters, then a pair of 45's then up to the cabinet.

Going to try and get some of the plumbing actually set this weekend.

Here is another pic of my @WWC Maui Sunset chalice to keep you coming back ;)
mauisunset by Peter Young, on Flickr

Thanks for stopping by.

WWIII

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for your losses from the fire. Glad to see you aren't letting it hold you back! Great build, awesome equipment and corals!

OP
OP
PedroYoung

PedroYoung

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for your losses from the fire. Glad to see you aren't letting it hold you back! Great build, awesome equipment and corals!
Thanks, things are finally starting to speed up. I need the space for more corals!! My 75G is jammed and I'm starting to get some losses from sweepers.

Chrisfish

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very nice thread, your attitude is awesome :)
Looking forward to reading and seeing more of your thread.

OP
OP
PedroYoung

PedroYoung

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Making some slow progress on plumbing. Nerve wracking for me, not sure why :). Got the Shadow set and the plumbing into the cabinet yesterday.

I put in some pipe clamps into the cabinet just below the tank to relieve any stress on the overflow box. I just cut a section of 2x4 and screwed it into the underside of the cabinet top.

This morning I glued the unions onto the overflow outflow and set the gate valve for my main siphon.

Man, that glue and primer in that cabinet space was STRONG!! I had to get a fan and blow the fumes out while I was working. "use in well ventilated area" for sure.

Then I celebrated with a little photography session on the 75G (been a week or so since I'd shot anything). Took several of my @WWC Maui Sunset then got the porthole out and shot some top downs.

maui-11 by Peter Young, on Flickr

mauisunset-2 by Peter Young, on Flickr

poinsettia-6 by Peter Young, on Flickr

goniastrea-2 by Peter Young, on Flickr

mauitop by Peter Young, on Flickr

sector001 by Peter Young, on Flickr

raja-2 by Peter Young, on Flickr

As always, thanks for looking.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Love this story! Beautiful home, beautiful tank placement, beautiful equipment an all around great job!

OP
OP
PedroYoung

PedroYoung

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love this story! Beautiful home, beautiful tank placement, beautiful equipment an all around great job!

If you hadn't just said this I would have replied with basically the same thing.

Great work!

Aw shucks, thanks for the kind words. I'm caught between wanting to hurry and wanting to be thoughtful and take my time. Guess I'm erring on the side of caution ;)

OP
OP
PedroYoung

PedroYoung

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Trying to get something done every day (or so). Got the return bulkheads, elbows and unions fitted yesterday

I will be running 1" to the elbow. The elbow is 1" with a 3/4" reducing bushing (street style). I used a short section of 3/4" to join the bulkhead and elbow as flush as I could.

I'm going to have to shoot some more pics in my 75G to keep up with the posts :)
Here is a top down of my rainbow acan echinata.

echinata top by Peter Young, on Flickr

OP
OP
PedroYoung

PedroYoung

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Busy day yesterday (work, not tank) so didn't really get much done except moving some electrical boxes up higher on the wall. My plan is to have all the electronics mounted on the wall where those boxes were. Now the electrical is above so no worries if I get a leaky DOS connection or something.

Previous, you can see the 3 circuits on the wall at about 3.5' above the floor

New, outlets now out of the way, but close enough to run EB8, Abyzz power etc.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 33.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 20 25.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 13 16.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 20 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back