The Silver Linings Tank Thread, or "My 180G Build"

TriggerFinger

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You’re getting so close!! Bring this man his super glue USPS!! You’ve got to be feeling so great right now! I’m excited and it’s not my set up! :D

OP
OP
PedroYoung

PedroYoung

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You’re getting so close!! Bring this man his super glue USPS!! You’ve got to be feeling so great right now! I’m excited and it’s not my set up! :D
Didn't happen. Felt like christmas with nothing under the tree when I opened the mailbox :(. If it doesn't come tomorrow It'll be next week before I get back to it.

OP
OP
PedroYoung

PedroYoung

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Real quick, I am beat!! Took most of the day after I finally got my bottle of glue around noon. Whew. Thank goodness for my wife who is an artist (and has Patience). Without her it would just be a jumbled pile of rocks.

01ED1659-C836-4BD0-9CC2-8C8A45D7A018.jpeg

B05D78D1-D0E8-4D90-BE26-53294B08712F.jpeg

Filling now, have about 220G in the tank and sump. Making the last 30G now.

OP
OP
PedroYoung

PedroYoung

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, been 2 months since the last update :oops:. Seemed like I hit the "wet" milestone and backed off. Actually been pretty busy tinkering with the tank. So what have I been doing? I started keeping a log book on my "temporary" tank (the 75G) and it's been a god send. When did I buy that coral? When did I last clean the MP's or skimmer? So I've started a log book for the new tank and I'm looking back at everything I've done, whew. First, how about a look at what it's looking like now
IMG_4749.jpg

IMG_4858.jpg

First thing I did was set up the ATO (Tunze Osmolator). Ended up getting an adaptor from BRS that allowed me to use standard RO tubing instead of the black Tunze tubing so I could use the bulkheads in the ATO water container (right side of sump) and the sump. Synergy Reef makes some great stuff!!.

Next, set up the 4 MP40's in the display. I also ran a 15' aquabus cable up from the basement to the cabinet under the tank for a WXM module. Truth to tell, it's been a PITA! I'll get all 4 pumps connected, then after a couple days, some or all of them will be just blinking white dial and pump's not running. :mad: Finally just disconnected it and running them in local network with one master and 3 slaves. I also installed a Ecotech battery backup for the 2 front MP40's (considering a second, but that's a future buy). Got the wiring all cleaned up and looks much better. Found these great adhesive wire ties (very similar to the ones Ecotech sends to run the dry side cabling). Using those in combo with the Ecotech power supply brackets really cleans it up (wish I had taken a before pic....)

IMG_4826.jpg

I put a couple silver sides in the filter socks to keep the biofilter going. Even when I had 4 in there rotting I never saw any ammonia.

Middle of October I got some pods from Algae Barn (Ecopods) and the pod population is booming.

Last week I got the DOS hooked up and started dosing 2 part (ESV). I kept seeing Alk dropping and the good folks in the R2R chemistry forum helped me to understand that the nitrification cycle reduces Alk (I didn't know that), so I've been dosing low amounts of Alk.

So, what's next? I've been the tank running mostly in the dark for 2 months. I've been working with Marine collectors on my fish list, and waiting right now on a Red Sea Regal in my size (he got a couple that were bigger than I wanted, 6-7 inches, I'm looking for like 3-4"). I want to get some tangs in before running the lights at reef levels. I'll want some coralline algae growing before I start moving corals. I'll want some of the lesser value corals thriving before moving my high value stuff over. I'll want butter with that toast...... All that to say, it's a process.

My daughter is home from college and did a little project when she saw my fish list to help me visualize ;).

IMG_4842.jpg

Been kind of nice not having anything living in there, it's giving me time to play around with flow, chemistry, flow and flow without scaring anything. But now, I'm ready for some live action. Will update when I have something in there.

Couple shots from my temp
blueraven-7 by Peter Young, on Flickr

peel-8 by Peter Young, on Flickr

flamethrower-6 by Peter Young, on Flickr

firemellon-3 by Peter Young, on Flickr

Thanks for checking in.
P

TriggerFinger

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yesssssss @PedroYoung!! Awesome update! I can’t wait to see it thriving! The regal angel is my favorite fish, very excited for you!
Do you plan to keep the 75g going after you transfer everything over? Maybe for a frag tank? ;) :D You have groupies ya know...;Hilarious I don’t think you would have a problem getting rid of any extra frags

OP
OP
PedroYoung

PedroYoung

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yesssssss @PedroYoung!! Awesome update! I can’t wait to see it thriving! The regal angel is my favorite fish, very excited for you!
Do you plan to keep the 75g going after you transfer everything over? Maybe for a frag tank? ;) :D You have groupies ya know...;Hilarious I don’t think you would have a problem getting rid of any extra frags
Haha, yeah I think the 75 will be around for a while. A couple yrs at least. It's a good nursery and semi-quarantine tank, plus it gives me something to look at in my office:). Gee, I don't know about groupies, that sounds one sided. We're all in this community together haha, but thanks for watching and letting me know I'm not talking to the wind ;).
P

OP
OP
PedroYoung

PedroYoung

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick update, just cause I feel like it. Been playing with the tank flow and have it dialed in so it's almost silent. I'm only running about 700G/hr through the Abyzz, set at 74% (figured that by pumping into the sump with a Mag7 and it was almost able to keep up with what was leaving the sump). The bean animal set-up took some fiddling, but man it is really so quiet right now (Synergy Reef Shadow overflow). I'm running the 4 MP40's in reef-crest mode with the max at about 60%. Since that means when the 2 pumps on the left are maxed out the 2 on the right are at 0%, same the other way. Kinda hard to really tell how fast that is with nothing that moves in the tank haha. Looks like my first 2 fish will be fully clean and conditioned at the end of this week, Red Sea Regal and Kole Tang. Been cranking the lights up a little bit, running about 3.5 hrs/day now at around 40%. Some of the coralline is still alive on the rock (shocked really). Some awesome pinks and purples. I want to get a little algae growing for the Kole to graze on. Also added a Kessil H160 refugium light (no Chaeto yet, but prepping)
Untitled by Peter Young, on Flickr
Untitled by Peter Young, on Flickr
Really impressed with how little light spills over into the other compartments. Synergy makes all the baffles with black acrylic so it keeps that light where I want it.

Take a look at a couple pics from the 75G, it's really doing phenomenal right now.

teeny stellaria by Peter Young, on Flickr

teeny beany-10 by Peter Young, on Flickr

maxima-17 by Peter Young, on Flickr

Thanks for spending a couple minutes with me!

P

OP
OP
PedroYoung

PedroYoung

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, the first fish has arrived!!

Red Sea Regal from Marine Collectors. Really impressed with everything to do with Elliot Lim. Amazing packing, so much water in the bag, he must actually fill the bag in the cooler and then seal it because there wasn't any room to knock around. Light off today to let him settle in. Elliot said I could try and feed him tomorrow (he was conditioned to eat pellets before shipping). Quaranteened, medicated and conditioned. Worth the extra $$ IMHO.

Looks like the next inhabitant will be ready early next week, a Kole Tang.

Nice to have something living in there besides the rocks haha.

P

OP
OP
PedroYoung

PedroYoung

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Couple vids of the Regal as he explores the tank. Just saw him eat!! Great thing about a bare bottom tank is it's easy for the fish to find pellets.

No new pics from the 75 so you'll have to settle for the vids. ;)

OP
OP
PedroYoung

PedroYoung

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Regal continues to explore. He had been picking pellets up of the floor since Friday, but today started grabbing them on the fall. Put in some LRS Herbivore formula and he was all over it!! He was cruising most of the day to day while the lights were on (still only about 5 hrs), but really settling in. Color just gets better and better. Going to try and shoot some DSLR shots tomorrow of him.

Oh yeah, the 75G is just fine
maxima-18 by Peter Young, on Flickr

orange peel-25 by Peter Young, on Flickr

stellaria-64 by Peter Young, on Flickr

Thanks for sharing some of your day with me.

P

OP
OP
PedroYoung

PedroYoung

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So looks like I'm going to have to learn a new skill. Shooting moving fish is WAY different than non moving corals. Something else to work on. These are the best of a bad bunch. Didn't turn off the Christmas tree lights so the reflections hosed a bunch of shots (they weren't much in any case). You can see his stripe on the right side that doesn't go all the way. I kinda like it.....

regal by Peter Young, on Flickr

regal-2 by Peter Young, on Flickr

This one has the stupid red LED tree lights, but you can see the juvenile eye spot, which is starting to fade, but I think it's pretty cool.

regal-3 by Peter Young, on Flickr

and a lil' something from the 75
blood diamond-3 by Peter Young, on Flickr

Thanks for checking in.
P

OP
OP
PedroYoung

PedroYoung

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another video. Just after feeding, he's cruising around for the leftovers. Really like the way the aquascape allows him to blaze around.

Hope everyone has a great Christmas!!!

P

OP
OP
PedroYoung

PedroYoung

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Added some chaeto to the fuge along with some tiger and tisbe pods Saturday. Took a video tonight under the T5’s. You can see better representation of the regal’s color. Pods all over the glass haha.

CrimsonTide

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome build Pedro! That Regal Angel is going to be a show stopper in that tank. You've come a long way and you're finally getting to see the payoff. Cant wait to see the tank with all your coral from the 75 in it. In sure thats months away. Whens the tang coming in?

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 31.1%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 23.6%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 20 18.9%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 26.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back