PedroYoung

PedroYoung

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
whew, a lot can happen is 6 weeks!! Let's see, where to begin
1- sold off the bully yellow tang, sold him at my cost which everyone has told me I was crazy to do since they're impossible to get now, but he's going to a good home and, you know, Karma.
2- have added a bunch of Bimaculatus Anthias. Ordered a male and 4 females from Marine Collectors. FedEx was a day late and lost one of the females. I added another female to the replacement shipment so I'd have 5 females (they are amazing BTW). FedEx was a day late with THAT shipment and lost one of the 2 females. Finally got he replacement for the replacement on Tuesday. They really pop in the tank, colors are amazing and they fit right in. A teeny bit of chasing by the Kole tang after the male, but only for the first day
3- Added the Plank auto-feeder from Avast Marine. It is GREAT!! Wow, super quiet and works like a champ. I'm running it on a 2 outlet smart plug until I can run some wiring to the Apex in the basement.
4- Getting some algae in the display. My chaeto in the refugium was overtaken by some crazy slime algae. There was about 1/2" thick layer of it all over the refugium. I cleaned it all out, but it must have been taking in a ton of nutrients, so now some growth in the tank. Not awful, but something to watch. Trying to get some new chaeto to restock to fuge.

Posting a couple videos. The first of the plank in action and the second of the tank after adding the final Bimac.

Hope everyone is well. Till next time,
P

ReefChef19

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just finished reading your build, what an amazing build and attention to every little detail. Sorry about the home but I'm glad everyone was safe. Looking forward to your next update and when you start moving your corals!

OP
OP
PedroYoung

PedroYoung

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just finished reading your build, what an amazing build and attention to every little detail. Sorry about the home but I'm glad everyone was safe. Looking forward to your next update and when you start moving your corals!
Thanks for taking the time to read and your kind words!! Hoping to move some coral this weekend (having a little upset in my 75G that's causing me some pain, losing some of my prized chalices :(). I did take a video about a week ago I meant to post of the fish in the 200G, and your comments inspired me (reminded me) to post.

Happy long weekend to all!!!

P

Marine Collectors

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, the first fish has arrived!!

Red Sea Regal from Marine Collectors. Really impressed with everything to do with Elliot Lim. Amazing packing, so much water in the bag, he must actually fill the bag in the cooler and then seal it because there wasn't any room to knock around. Light off today to let him settle in. Elliot said I could try and feed him tomorrow (he was conditioned to eat pellets before shipping). Quaranteened, medicated and conditioned. Worth the extra $$ IMHO.

Looks like the next inhabitant will be ready early next week, a Kole Tang.

Nice to have something living in there besides the rocks haha.

P

So glad you are loving your Red Sea Regal!

OP
OP
PedroYoung

PedroYoung

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So glad you are loving your Red Sea Regal!
Man, I need to update this thread hahaha. Yeah, everything I got from you (meaning the whole fish gang) has been stellar. Just within the last week or so I got a big shipment of zoas from @Zoanthids and for the first time the Regal showed a little too much interest so they're under a frag rack right now. He hasn't really messed with the 3 other zoa colonies I've put in, but these frags he's picking on. I'm hopeful we can come to an accommodation because he's my fav fish by far. My advice for anyone else considering a Regal is 1-Get him from Elliot @Marine Collectors , 2-put him in first and give him a couple weeks to get acclimated. My Regal now is an aggressive eater, and one of the more dominate fish in the tank (the Kole tang is up there too). I'll update with some fish pics (thanks again Elliot!!)

gang by Peter Young, on Flickr

blonde by Peter Young, on Flickr

You can see the Regal's little misbar in this one.

gang-2 by Peter Young, on Flickr

and his transitioning juvenile spot in this one.

regal-9 by Peter Young, on Flickr

peekaboo by Peter Young, on Flickr

tanggang by Peter Young, on Flickr

bimac by Peter Young, on Flickr

thanks for stopping in!!
P

OP
OP
PedroYoung

PedroYoung

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, lots of ups and downs. Added several fish (pyramid butterfly trio, royal gramma, mandarin goby) subtracted several fish (regal started eating zoas and the male bimac became a bully). Just recovered in the last month or so from a year of algae and cyano issues (still unclear what caused or cleared it up). Tank looking fresh now. Have a Blue Hippo and flame hawk coming in a week, just added first corals in over a year (HG torch, and some random others). Came within a week of shutting it down twice over the last year and a half, but hung in there. And glad I did. Here is a short vid I posted on my youtube channel back in Jan.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 41 33.1%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 22.6%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 19.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back