OP
PedroYoung

PedroYoung

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So been pretty crazy busy at work with the end of the fiscal yr and all, but last weekend I had some time with the house empty and nothing on but football to keep me company. I got busy with some plumbing. Trying to get the 5 lines from the living room at least into the basement. Sorry some of these pics aren't great. It's tough with shaded cabinet interior to make anything look "right".

image by Peter Young, on Flickr

Basically got everything plumbed through the floor to the basement. Next step is going to be pouring a concrete lip across the sump alcove and then...........well we'll see. If I keep changing my mind I might just loose it (my mind). Little baby steps, that's the way for me.

Here is the latest pic of my @WWC Maui Sunset. YIKES, this thing is HOT.

mauisunset-3 by Peter Young, on Flickr

Thanks again for looking, please chime in if you have any questions or comments.

OP
OP
PedroYoung

PedroYoung

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Prepping for some support brackets downstairs. Pic of the stubs in the basement.

Couple pics of my J-Fox Sector 001 Favia on the bare bottom of my 75G (experimenting). Blurry cause I had to shoot at a pretty severe angle through the glass.
sector 001-3 by Peter Young, on Flickr
sector 001-2 by Peter Young, on Flickr

OP
OP
PedroYoung

PedroYoung

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, has it really been since Oct since I last updated? Yikes. Well let's see what's happened since then.............
Well, to start with I changed my mind about going Triton. After much conversation with my guys at WWC and also watching the BRS/WWC method video series it made sense to me, so what to do with the Triton style sump??????????? Thanks R2R, I was able to sell the TS-60 on R2R and get a sock style CL-60 to replace it (and added the matching ATO while I was at it).
(still wrapped up in this pic)
Untitled by Peter Young, on Flickr

You might also notice (or not) that I finally poured the concrete lip across the sump niche.

I also have hung a piece of marine grade plywood along the back wall for supporting the return pump plumbing back to the tank, and an old oak cabinet top on the right wall for mounting controller, pump controller, ATO etc.

Now I'm waiting to re-borrow the sliding miter saw for the final plumbing and then should be ready to wet test..................

And while you're here, I do still have my temporary (going on 5 yrs now) tank with a couple corals I'm pretty happy with.

OrangePeel by Peter Young, on Flickr

raja-6 by Peter Young, on Flickr

peelx36x20x12mm by Peter Young, on Flickr

fire gonni-2 by Peter Young, on Flickr

Thanks for watching, I'll try and have something before the next 6 months go by.........

OP
OP
PedroYoung

PedroYoung

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Geez, ok, another long break between posts. I have been doing some work though.

Got tired of waiting to borrow my buddies saw again so got myself a Christmas present.

Got the stubs from upstairs braced (if you've never used sch 80 PVC before it's HEAVY. Those fittings etc need some pipe brackets to hold the weight off the tank and sump).

Next, I put in a check valve and ball valve on each of the 1" lines going up to the tank from the sump. The ball valve will allow for me to isolate/ remove the check valve for cleaning etc.

Latest bit of plumbing was putting together this manifold which will go right above the sump, attached to the plywood. I have an emergency return pump (reeflo hammerhead) that will be plumbed out of the rear bottom of the return section of the sump. Normally it will be valved off at the exit of the sump and also where it will come into this monstrosity. There will be a 1" manifold for reactors etc, and then the split return lines going up to the tank.

So not all the work has been in the basement. I actually finally hung the light (Giesemann Aurora T5/LED hybrid)

So that's probably not 4 months worth of work, but it's what I've gotten done. I'm getting really close now to wet testing. Just a little more plumbing, Going to hang another piece of plywood above the sump to hang reactors on.

As a reward for sticking around here are some shots of this orange peel chalice that is just looking SICK AF in my 75G.

orangepeel-6 by Peter Young, on Flickr

orangepeel-10 by Peter Young, on Flickr

orangepeel-3 by Peter Young, on Flickr

orangepeel-11 by Peter Young, on Flickr

As always thanks for looking, Happy Reefing.

OP
OP
PedroYoung

PedroYoung

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another quick update. I've been trying to do something every day, even if it's only gluing one fitting. I decided I liked the black back panel that my Triton sump had (I neglected to specify the black panel in my CL-60 sock style sump). The black background will hide cords and just looks cooler IMHO. Rick at Synergy suggested getting some black vinyl tint. Found a 60"x17.5" roll on Amazon for $12. It was perfect!!

Before

On the floor, back facing up preparing for application, You can see the 1.5" hole in the lower left of the picture where the emergency backup pump line will come

On the floor after application (which is just peel and stick, using squeegee to smooth out bubbles). .

After

I also did some work on the backup pump. Using a Reeflo Hammerhead/Barracuda hybrid. The idea is if the Abyzz ever gives out I can valve it off just above the sump, open a ball valve at the exit of the back of the sump which leads to the Reeflo on the floor, and open a ball valve in the manifold (shown in previous post) to keep flow going. The Reeflo comes with 1.5" threaded fittings so I used a 1.5" sch80 spigot x male thread fitting into a union. Worked perfectly.
before

after

Haven't been shooting many pics of the 75G lately. Had a hard drive crash on the PC and that jacked up all my spare time. Just a couple.

space invader myc by Peter Young, on Flickr

stellaria med by Peter Young, on Flickr

As always, thanks for spending some time with me ;)

Last edited:

TriggerFinger

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh my gosh. I didn’t know my favorite photographer had a build thread!!! How did I not notice the badge before??!?! I just read through, fantastic story. This is going to be GREAT! Edit: where are you at now? Working on plumbing still?

OP
OP
PedroYoung

PedroYoung

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haha, yeah still plumbing. I'm actually taking off next week from work and going to spend some time on it. As I've said before, nothing good in this hobby happens quickly (maybe taking this to extremes on the build here, but life happens). I'm actually about to tackle a small project on my "temporary 75G" (which has been running for 5 yrs now :rolleyes:). Return pump upgrade and put in a filter sock. Always something. Should have an update here next week sometime. Thanks for the compliments.

OP
OP
PedroYoung

PedroYoung

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK, quickie. FINALLY got the manifold up (not good about asking for help and this wasn't something I could do by myself if I wanted it lined up correctly). Ran some line between the 2 outlets leading up to the tank so I could center the 1" lines. Now it's just a matter of plumbing from the ball valve leaving the sump to the inlet on this manifold, connecting the right/left sides up to the tank, and plumbing in the emergency return pump (or at least getting the isolation valves installed so I can "get to that later" :rolleyes: .

Some pics from my 75G (which is getting an upgrade from Mag 7 to Reef Octopus Varios return this weekend).

acanmaxima-9 by Peter Young, on Flickr

stellaria-22 by Peter Young, on Flickr

orangepeel-15 by Peter Young, on Flickr

Thanks for looking and stay safe!!

OP
OP
PedroYoung

PedroYoung

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually got something else done (wow, 2 posts in one day). Got the 1" lines cut and glued. Dry fitting the main header out of the sump (I use white sch40 to test my critical runs/angles then put the sch80 in when I have it right. Don't let anyone tell you hard plumbing is "super easy" on a big job. Working in 3 dimensions always adds a little extra work).

And not to break with tradition, here's a few pics to reward you for looking.

jacko by Peter Young, on Flickr

flamethrowerblasto-2 by Peter Young, on Flickr

space invader-2 by Peter Young, on Flickr

OP
OP
PedroYoung

PedroYoung

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
PedroYoung

PedroYoung

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So umm....do any of these beauties get fragged ever? Asking for a friend ;Joyful
So as a general rule, no. The only one I really frag is the Raja Rampage, which has grown to the size of a basket ball and has taken over the right side of my tank. Purpose of this "temp tank" was to get high end small stuff and grow it up while my main tank was brewing. This, as you might be able to tell from the length/age of this thread, is taking a "little" longer than anticipated. I've had to start mounting some of the chalice "frags" to small pieces of live rock as they overgrow the plug (just mounted my Orange Peel yesterday). I don't own a frag saw (yet).

Your “temporary tank” has to be getting kinda full by now. Do you have a FTS of this temp tank?
Well, the layout of my office makes it tough to get a camera far enough away from the tank to actually see much. The office is 6' deep and only about 8' long. Also, the tank isn't really that attractive in the sense that it looks like a used car lot. Frags parked anywhere I can make space, mostly on the bottom of the tank. I might be able to get some HTS (half tank shots).

Here is a pic from this morning of that Raja, this is about as far back as I can get the camera with the current set up, and it's at about a 30deg angle to the tank which makes from some blur.
rajafull by Peter Young, on Flickr

and another from this morning of the Orange Peel after it's new mounting yesterday. One advantage to the mounting is it gets lifted off the "floor" of the tank so I can shoot straight on instead of down, which makes for a clearer shot (less glass angle).

orangepeel-20 by Peter Young, on Flickr

orangepeel-19 by Peter Young, on Flickr

OP
OP
PedroYoung

PedroYoung

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So worked on return pump connections today. Glued the adapter and union/barb fitting on to the pump. Talk about kinda nerve wracking. Using General purpose cement on the ABS body of the Abyzz pump to the adapter and then union. Didn't want to mess that up considering what the pump set me back ($$). Turned out well.

Then trimmed the 3' of Silicon high pressure tubing down to the 5" i needed (have 2.5' for sale if anyone needs it, not easy to find :)). These 316SS fittings I ordered from Abyzz along with the tubing (through Coralvue) are perfect, but prob could source state side if you know what to look for. Inox-W5, 48-51mm size. Quick google search looks like they're used on boats.

Then put it all together. (really hard to get a pic through the sump without major glare, sorry bad pic).

Now, for the overflow drains...................................

Couple pics from the 75G

orange peel-14 by Peter Young, on Flickr

fantasmo by Peter Young, on Flickr

Thanks for stopping in.

TriggerFinger

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
giphy.gif

TriggerFinger

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I figured you would be the best person to answer this seeing as how you’re the chalice expert. Are these generally a very thin coral? Like potato chip thin? Yours don’t look thin at all. I got a 4” piece of Hollywood stunner (I know, too common for your taste ;Happy ) for $5 and it’s suuuuper thin all over. I set it on the sand after dipping/acclimating and my snail keeps knocking it over. I’m pretty sure it will crumble if I try to glue it to a rock. Did I get an unhealthy piece?

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.5%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 47 54.7%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 26 30.2%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 7 8.1%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.5%
Back