OP
PedroYoung

PedroYoung

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome build Pedro! That Regal Angel is going to be a show stopper in that tank. You've come a long way and you're finally getting to see the payoff. Cant wait to see the tank with all your coral from the 75 in it. In sure thats months away. Whens the tang coming in?
Thanks for the kind words!! Hope to add a Kole tang early next week (he's waiting for shipping to get back to normal after New Years), then a couple weeks later add a 3-pack of smallish yellows and a blonde naso.

OP
OP
PedroYoung

PedroYoung

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2 week update on the Regal. All good, he's eating really well. Going to turn this into a video diary of the tank haha. Starting to see some brown algae and diatom stuff, but really surprised how much of the Coralline algae is coming back (and how quickly) considering it was basically in a dark tank for 2.5 yrs.

Well, maybe a couple pics from the 75G will still crop up now and then ;)

orangepeel-65 by Peter Young, on Flickr

stellaria-65 by Peter Young, on Flickr

HAPPY NEW YEAR TO ALL!!!!! (Guess I'm going to have to change my signature).

P

OP
OP
PedroYoung

PedroYoung

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick update on the downstairs portion of the tank. Ended up getting some Chaeto and more pods from RUSalty since Algae Barn seems to never have it in stock. Also ran the Kessil cord the way I wanted it. If you haven’t used the Ecotech power supply brackets, I highly recommend!!

Untitled by Peter Young, on Flickr

Have been dosing ESV 2-part with the DOS for about 3 weeks now, shooting for 8.5 DKH and 450 ppm. The coralline in the display is going bonkers. A little brown algae and diatoms popping up too. Hope to be adding Kole tang on Tuesday.

The 75G is really fire these days........... These are all high probability of transplant into the 200 when I see some coralline on the glass. That's my target in order to add corals (for no reason other than it just feels right)

teeny beany-14 by Peter Young, on Flickr

stellaria sm-5 by Peter Young, on Flickr

blueraven-9 by Peter Young, on Flickr

Thanks for the visit.
P

OP
OP
PedroYoung

PedroYoung

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got the Kole in yesterday. Was an ordeal with FedEx. I have all my livestock shipped to a FedEx Office location about 25 minutes away since I live in the sticks. Priority overnight doesn't get to my house till 3:00 usually, but at the FedEx office I can usually pick up by 9. Tracking was showing it had gotten to B'ham and was waiting to be sent out to final location so I hopped in the car and went. Hanging out in the parking lot and watching the tracking for an hour when all the sudden it showed it was back in Memphis. Went into the shop and they looked it up. "looks like it didn't get on the container heading to B'ham, shows it's scheduled for the next flight, prob tomorrow". Yikes. Went home pretty ticked, contact Elliot with Marine Collectors and he said to let him know the next day if it made it. He uses a ton of water, but the heat pack might give out. Got home, was on a conf call for an hour and got ready to call FedEx. Suddenly the tracking number says it's waiting for me to pick it up!! Woah, wait, what? Called the FedEx Office and sure enough, it's there. Back in the car, blah blah blah. He's in and eating already. Tank is starting some "ugly phase" since I've been running the lights, but that means plenty for him to graze on. Next batch of fish is a small gang on yellow tangs, already in conditioning. Might be adding a blonde naso too...
Kole really looks great, eating after only about 24hrs in the tank. He and the Regal seem to be getting along fine. Following each other around, but no aggression. Fingers crossed........

Thanks for looking

P

OP
OP
PedroYoung

PedroYoung

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everyone seems to be getting along!! Looks like I timed it just about perfect for a Hawaii ban. Kole tang is in the tank and small group of Yellows in conditioning/quarantine. Glad I listened to my vendor.......

Some fire going on in my 75G, gonna be nerve wracking when I start to move it in here.

blooddiamond-10 by Peter Young, on Flickr

teenybeany-30 by Peter Young, on Flickr

P

OP
OP
PedroYoung

PedroYoung

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been a couple weeks since the last update. Almost had a tragedy!! I had ordered a trio of yellow tangs right before the Hawaii ban. 2 days after they went into QT and conditioning the price shot up 250%!! For once it looked like I timed something right!! Price on the Kole Tang I had put in also shot up 300%!! Whew. They finished conditioning and shipped out on Monday. Monday night an F3 tornado hit Birmingham, near the airport. To make a really long story short, I spent the whole day Tuesday chasing around looking for this package, but it spent the night at the airport. I was at the FedEx depot first thing this morning to get my box and rushed home. Frankly I expected a box of dead fish after 40 hrs and down to 50 degF last night, but they were still moving in their bags when I opened up the box. Floated them for about 45 min then dumped all 3 bags in a 5 gal bucket and dripped them. Amazing!! They are all ok. Just put them in and letting them meet the new neighbors with lights out for the day. A little chasing around, but the yellows are hanging together while the Kole chases them. Already simmering down. Whew. Didn't sleep much last night wondering what I would find. Gotta say, FedEx has been slipping lately. Every shipment has gotten worse. They used the tornado as an excuse, but there was no interuption in commercial flights and no damage at the airport. Another guy there this morning picking up a package that hadn't been delivered said he'd been told there was a mix up in Memphis, a different story than what I was told. Just glad my guys made it. Won't have any pics for a couple days of the new gang, but here are a couple of the old timers.

regal-4 by Peter Young, on Flickr

Pair by Peter Young, on Flickr

Regal-7 by Peter Young, on Flickr

and a couple from the 75

Orangepeel-72 by Peter Young, on Flickr

stellaria-67 by Peter Young, on Flickr

Take care
P

LRT

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beautiful pictures as always. Glad the fish made it safely. Yeah I should have snagged a yellow tang just couldn't justify the $150 dollar price tag up from $50 pre covid. Stopped at lfs yesterday and $275. Totally crazy.

CrimsonTide

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well im glad they made it so far! Those storms were pretty nasty out near my house. I have a tree down in the yard and no telling when a tree company can make it to me for 1 tree. I'm glad you got the fish before they became nearly unobtainable in price especially since you got 3! Goodluck following!

OP
OP
PedroYoung

PedroYoung

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick update. Added a pair of Ranco heater controllers so the Apex EB832 isn't switching so much. Got them with some custom lengths on the cords and heat shrink on the temp elements. Were pretty easy to set up.

The Coralline is really taking off, and the Tang Gang seems to be keeping the algae under control.

Really liked this pic, that is a killer patch of red coralline behind that gorgeous Regal posing.

and a couple vids, this one at feeding time

and this one with the PolypLab lens filter on my iPhone\

Take care, and have a wonderful day.
P

OP
OP
PedroYoung

PedroYoung

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
finally got the carbon/GFO reactor installed off the manifold. haven't needed it yet, phosphates are low (0.04) but they're coming.

and picked up a little something to celebrate

lsd-3 by Peter Young, on Flickr

lsd by Peter Young, on Flickr

expect to see more of that one soon, still settling in.

TriggerFinger

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
finally got the carbon/GFO reactor installed off the manifold. haven't needed it yet, phosphates are low (0.04) but they're coming.

and picked up a little something to celebrate

lsd-3 by Peter Young, on Flickr

lsd by Peter Young, on Flickr

expect to see more of that one soon, still settling in.

Love the celebratory coral!! What is it??
I never noticed the lids on the sump before; they’re very nice. Did they come with the sump?

OP
OP
PedroYoung

PedroYoung

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The coral is LSD Dreams chalice (I didn't name it and have never heard of it before, but whew!!). Pic from today as it continues to settle in.
LSD-11 by Peter Young, on Flickr

The lids came with the sump. Synergy Reef does incredible work. The lids really keep the evaporation down, basement stays dry. Thanks for following along!!

P

OP
OP
PedroYoung

PedroYoung

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last piece of the equipment puzzle before adding corals is in. Got the Trident installed last night. Had to move the Apex head up about 6". I have a Trident on my 75G and it's been invaluable in keeping my parameters steady (like the time my I didn't check my 2 part and the Alk ran out). It's not the most install friendly piece of gear, but it certainly does the job I want.

Can I just say "Thank goodness for the basement sump!!!!". I can't imagine cramming all this stuff in a normal cabinet under the tank. It's soooooooo easy to clean the skimmer, remove socks, check macro, vacuum detritus, etc.

So now I have the photo-period extended to 12 hrs with just the LED's. Max intensity is about 60%. Gonna kick on the T-5's next week and start to ramp them up. Gotta get a PAR meter and get some measurements, but coral is just around the corner. Waiting on my next batch of fish (Bimaculatis Anthias group). They haven't even gotten to quarantine yet, which is ok. The Yellow tangs are still battling some over territory, but everyone is eating.

Here is another pic of that LSD chalice while we're waiting on corals in the new tank
lsd-6 by Peter Young, on Flickr
Crazy rim!!

P

OP
OP
PedroYoung

PedroYoung

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick update, Yellow tangs have been squabbling. Have one that's particularly feisty. No one is backing down. They do seem to be not as bad this week. All 3 are now eating frozen, in addition to Nori and grazing. Brown algae is getting more prevalent, but not problematic. Been feeding really heavy trying to keep everyone settled. Have 3 Nori stations and that seemed to help. Started running the T5 lamps a little, only about 1 hr on each channel. Really pops the color on the coralline and the fish (regal in particular).

Here are a couple where you can see the crazy coralline growth.

You can see the battle scar on the Kole, he heals up in like 2 days from these. Haven't seen which yellow has hit him, but I'm pretty sure I know......Yellows have a little tattered fin too, but really wild how the next day or so it will be totally healed. Behavior is much better than last week actually, so hopeful I don't have to try and catch anyone...

P

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 32.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.5%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 19.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 25.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back