OP
Jeff@CoralVue

[email protected]

I run through walls
View Badges
Reaction score
Will there be a bigger one rated for 400g+ as well?
Yes, there will be. Maxspect has stated publicly that both a larger and a smaller model will be released, although probably not until Q1 2020.

Softhammer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Looks gimmicky and way too many parts to clean. Giant footprint too for a modest capacity. Why is this better than a bigger single pump with one impeller to remove and clean?

Plecosam

View Badges
Reaction score
Looks gimmicky and way too many parts to clean. Giant footprint too for a modest capacity. Why is this better than a bigger single pump with one impeller to remove and clean?
Then do not buy it, problem solved.

Myself, looks ok, but I think I will wait until it has been in the market for some time before purchase.

Softhammer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Then do not buy it, problem solved.

Myself, looks ok, but I think I will wait until it has been in the market for some time before purchase.
Thanks for your snarky response. Totally uncalled for.
These are very legitimate questions. Ones I wouldn’t hesitate to ask in person. This is far from a dig on coralvue, I’ve been using their stuff since 2004. If you have ever disassembled A big skimmer for cleaning you’ll know what a pain it is. More parts is not better, means more complexity, more pieces to scale up and clog with tube worm casings. More water to spill when taking it out of the sump. and my problem is solved, I’m not buying one, it’s way too small to replace my Tunze 9430. Real companies and real humans tend to like feedback from experienced hobbyists, good or bad, it’s what fuels innovation in the real world.

TheHarold

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
These are very legitimate questions. Ones I wouldn’t hesitate to ask in person. This is far from a dig on coralvue, I’ve been using their stuff since 2004. If you have ever disassembled A big skimmer for cleaning you’ll know what a pain it is. More parts is not better, means more complexity, more pieces to scale up and clog with tube worm casings. More water to spill when taking it out of the sump. and my problem is solved, I’m not buying one, it’s way too small to replace my Tunze 9430. Real companies and real humans tend to like feedback from experienced hobbyists, good or bad, it’s what fuels innovation in the real world.
It’s actually really easy to clean in my experience, one of the easiest I’ve had. (Compared to reed octopus, Tunze, Aquamaxx)

It has these large tabs on the feet, that you can slide out and remove the entire skimmer body.

I have it running on harem tank with pretty high bioload- this is about 3 days worth.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Got an email on this. Not sure with a skimmer this big why tank capacity is so small ??

TheHarold

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Got an email on this. Not sure with a skimmer this big why tank capacity is so small ??
There is no set “standard” for capacity I believe, every manufacturer kind of makes that up I think. It definitely seems rated too low IMO.

Like I have this on one tank as well as a reef octopus 250sss (rated 300g) on another, and the Maxspect definitely produces more skimmate at the same bioload (3 cubes a day).

Softhammer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
That’s exactly what I was asking! Thanks TheHarold
It definitely does have the cool factor nailed. Just the thought of cleaning 2 impellers....

Karliefish

View Badges
Reaction score
Does anyone have insights on when they’ll be releasing a larger version of this skimmer for 300+ gallon tanks that have large bio-loads?

BullyBee

View Badges
Reaction score
It’s sure got a pretty mouth!

(Sorry I’m watching deliverance and robocop today and I’m real excited for it)

How much does it cost? It looks expensive...that’s not a bad thing. I never heard of anyone praising the $99 Amazon skimmer.

jschultzbass

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Looks like the skimmer is an 8" body which puts it on par with the red sea 600 or RO Elite 200SSS and Nyos 220. All around the same size and around same gallon capacity.

TheHarold

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
That’s exactly what I was asking! Thanks TheHarold
It definitely does have the cool factor nailed. Just the thought of cleaning 2 impellers....
I haven’t cleaned them yet, after running for a handful of months. Cleaning interval is more dependent on your sump setup IMO. Like if you have the Refugium before the skimmer, you’ll end up getting much more crud into it. Overall I’ve been really pleased, just left it alone and it works.

The float switch cutoff is really nice too- I have that cable spliced and also going to my apex to send me a text when it’s full. :)

Plecosam

View Badges
Reaction score
Snarky negativity
Forums hey, places of such negativity, too small, gimmicky, such wonderful feedback the company can use. I'm glad I solved your problem.

Softhammer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Once again I’m failing to see how you think I’m initiating a dialogue with you Pleco. From what I can tell
1. You don’t have this skimmer
2. You haven’t identified yourself as the manufacturer or engineer
3. You been a forum member for 3 weeks, which doesn’t draw any definite conclusions but this has been around for a while.
All of my posts were directed at owners or the manufacturer. I’m sure they appreciate the unsolicited defense but please mind your own business.

Have you accomplished something in reefing that someone else said wouldn't work?

• Yes and it was... (tell us in the thread)

Votes: 36 73.5%
  • I tried but they were right....(tell us in the thread)

Votes: 6 12.2%
  • I didn't try it...(what was it?)

Votes: 6 12.2%
  • Other (please explain in thread)

Votes: 4 8.2%

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors