The smallest fish in reefs power the ecosystem

inktomi

ReefMan
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I read a really interesting paper recently which pointed out that Gobies and Blennies, and similar fish, provide a lot of the larvae and eggs that are found in coral reef waters (~60%!). Not only that, but the populations of these fish have a huge turnover - about 70% week to week, and 700% annually. That's incredible! With such a turnover, it's no wonder they have to produce so many eggs and such.

I was surprised to learn also that they live their lives so fast in the wild. In our tanks they also live comparatively short lives - a few years - compared to the decades some of our larger fish can live. Still, in the wild, it seems like the vast majority of Gobies probably measure their lives in months.

Check out the paper, it's a really neat look at the base that powers the coral reef ecosystem.

"Demographic dynamics of the smallest marine vertebrates fuel coral reef ecosystem functioning"
https://science.sciencemag.org/content/364/6446/1189

It's too bad that these tiny fish, if they're so numerous on wild reefs, seem to only be common in our smallest reef tanks.

Do you keep gobies, blennies, fish like that in a large tank?

OP
OP
inktomi

inktomi

ReefMan
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea, I really like smaller fish - the tank is different every time you look at is as they go about their lives amongst the rocks and coral. My smallest fish are my Potter's Angelfish though - hardly as small as these fish!

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I read a really interesting paper recently which pointed out that Gobies and Blennies, and similar fish, provide a lot of the larvae and eggs that are found in coral reef waters (~60%!). Not only that, but the populations of these fish have a huge turnover - about 70% week to week, and 700% annually. That's incredible! With such a turnover, it's no wonder they have to produce so many eggs and such.

I was surprised to learn also that they live their lives so fast in the wild. In our tanks they also live comparatively short lives - a few years - compared to the decades some of our larger fish can live. Still, in the wild, it seems like the vast majority of Gobies probably measure their lives in months.

Check out the paper, it's a really neat look at the base that powers the coral reef ecosystem.

"Demographic dynamics of the smallest marine vertebrates fuel coral reef ecosystem functioning"
https://science.sciencemag.org/content/364/6446/1189

It's too bad that these tiny fish, if they're so numerous on wild reefs, seem to only be common in our smallest reef tanks.

Do you keep gobies, blennies, fish like that in a large tank?

Why wouldn't you keep small fish in a large tank. My tank is 115 gallons and I love small.fish like gobbies, clowns blennies, grammas small damsels and wouldn't be without them. I also have 2 larger tangs a yellow and a mimic. I moved on a foxface as at 7" I considered it to be getting to large. I will replace it with a pair of firefish most probably. You can also keep many more fish with smaller species than the equivalent in body length to say a foxface. My small fish not only spawn all the time they are much more interesting IMO.

abbypoodle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to have a 22 cube and had a lot of tiny fish. My favorite is the gold banded goby but they’re all pretty awesome if you look closer! I will add more to my 180 but I’m afraid at some point, the may become a snack from some of the crabs.
1615257376155.jpeg

kzitzman1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why wouldn't you keep small fish in a large tank. My tank is 115 gallons and I love small.fish like gobbies, clowns blennies, grammas small damsels and wouldn't be without them. I also have 2 larger tangs a yellow and a mimic. I moved on a foxface as at 7" I considered it to be getting to large. I will replace it with a pair of firefish most probably. You can also keep many more fish with smaller species than the equivalent in body length to say a foxface. My small fish not only spawn all the time they are much more interesting IMO.
I agree. We live the smaller fish. Much more interesting with great personalities. We have a Midas Blenny and and have had a Starry Blenny in a smaller tank. I’d have both in our 116 Gal tank if we could. We also have a Jawfish and a few gobies that pair with pistol shrimp. They are great fish to have.

OP
OP
inktomi

inktomi

ReefMan
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I think some folks don't like to keep fish they don't often see. Small fish tend to hide - they're naturally on the menu - and so for better or worse they're thought of as nano reef fish. It's too bad really, there's lots of really cool small fish out there!

LifeAquaticLB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a tiny Tailspot Blennie in a ADA 60P by himself. He goes running away from me to munching on algae in a split second. It’s like he knows life is short. ‍

Last edited:

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think some folks don't like to keep fish they don't often see. Small fish tend to hide - they're naturally on the menu - and so for better or worse they're thought of as nano reef fish. It's too bad really, there's lots of really cool small fish out there!
Lots of small.fish don't hide and yes even small gobbies like the neon. Lot has to do with how safe they feel. Also pairs tend to be more out in the open like my pair of Royal grammas. Some of course are more secretive than others.

McPuff

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've added a few smaller fish in my tank and it's fun to see them once in a while. Like a treat. The bad part is that it takes a lot of work to get them, take them through TTM and QT and then when you add them you realize you need about 10-15 more. And the process starts again. Since they don't live very long it's disheartening when they die for [what seems like] no apparent reason. Still they are fun to have.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 2 15.4%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 10 76.9%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 4 30.8%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other

Votes: 2 15.4%
Back