The start of the dreaded... GHA & Triton

Kurtoski

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all.

A bit of background.

I recently upgraded in September to a 1200 litre tank and sump from my existing well established Reefer 350. I decided with the new upgrade to do the ‘Triton method’. I had the sump custom built to encorperate a large refugium approximately 15% of the total water volume. Lit by a Kessil H380 abs growing Chaeto.

Very recently I’ve been noticing the start of some hair algae starting to form in places. I’ve been running Rowaphos and carbon in a Nyos reactor since day one as well as growing the Chaeto.

My parameters:
Ammonia: 0
Nitrite:0
Nitrate: undetectable ( issue I know)
Alk:7.8 (touch low perhaps)
Calc: 390
Mag: 1240 (little low too)
Phos: undetectable (an issue too)

My Chaeto has completely filled my refugium. My question basically is, if I was to harvest 75% of the volume of Chaeto I’ve grown, in theory my nitrates should start to rise aperhaps my phos will be able to as well thus keeping my nutrients low but not non existent like they are now. I’m not sure if this will make my GHA worse or better but I know my SPS wil look healthier than it does at the minute. All the corals are looking well, just concearned I’ve stripped the water of phos, starting to get a little bleaching from the base of my birdsnest.

Id like to understand a little better about how the export of nutrients through the harvesting of my Chaeto will effect the level of nitrates and phosphate.

In terms of my Triton method, I’ve followed everything down to the letter on Tritons recommendations including the sump section custom built to fit perfectly with their spec. I’m just concearned about the few spots of GHA I can see.

Please settle my mind. Anyone else experienced GHA with following Triton?

DC Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
An option to harvesting would be to run a shorter light period in the fuge which will slow down nutrient uptake. May be easier to tune the length of lighting being on rather than harvesting - just a thought.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 144 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.8%
Back