The Story of the Missing Clown Fish(Plural)

Nurfed

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This story starts in March of this year.
In March, I got a Cortez Angel for my tank that couldn’t grow coral or keep any inverts. It brought with it velvet! Shortly before this Angels arrival, I had a standard clownfish go missing. I checked everywhere. In the overflow, behind the tank, in the sump, in the ato bucket. It had to have jumped and my cats ate him.

I drained the tank around the first of April and it sat dry until around the first of May. Fast forward to tonight. I got home from date night and found that I had another missing clown, this time I caught a glimpse of him in the overflow!

New Mission: Rescue Clownfish
I had my wife watching my sump level and I pulled the overflow drain. Lo and behold there was the clownfish at the bottom. I reached down, scooped him up and dropped him back into the tank. Feeing accomplished, I stood back to see how he was doing and it is the original missing Clownfish! I quickly checked my sump and todays missing clown went down the pipes. Now, this normally wouldn’t be an issue but I have an eshopps sump. The overflow drains into a separate compartment that then overflows to filter socks, through a 2 inch gap.

New Objective: Rescue Clownfish Part 2
With some quick thinking and some spare hose. I made a bendable net out of a gallon ziploc bag with holes and 1/2” tubing. He wouldn’t swim in but I did manage to pin him into a corner near the top. My wife contorted her arm around to scoop him up and out of the compartment and take him back up to the DT.

Now I have 3 clownfish. One of which I have capture out of my 125g DT to take him to a new home.

5B3F43C8-F0D2-4803-A55D-955540E7D9B3.jpeg

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 134 59.8%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 64 28.6%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 80 35.7%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 39 17.4%
  • Other

Votes: 63 28.1%
Back