The Supreme Guide To Setting Up A Saltwater Reef Aquarium

The marine environment is one of the most complex systems on the planet. The aquarium you are about to set up is only a tiny sliver of the vast...
  1. Lonny

Lonny Well-Known Member

Quick question. I have a 130 with a 30gl sump. How much water evap a day it's normal? I'm losing close to two gallons a day

2. Chris kindley

Chris kindley Well-Known Member

3. Chris kindley

Chris kindley Well-Known Member

Ok. I finally got it. I also copied it to save for myself to read and made it a .pdf file. If itd be ok I could post it as a downloadable file. I have no idea how to do that if it's allowed. So let me know. Thanks.

4. smokin'reefer

smokin'reefer Well-Known Member Partner Member

I am starting red sea 450. I have bought the tank and hope to have set up and start cycling by the end of April. My question is if it is worth the cost to start with all live water or maybe 50/50 with ro/di mixed or all ro/di?

5. BF90GMixedReef

BF90GMixedReef Member

Lonny, I have a 90 gallon reef and I lose about 1.5 gallons a day. So, we lose about the same amount of water daily.

Lonny likes this.
  6. Darbna

Darbna Well-Known Member

New here. Just installed a 110 Gallon tank yesterday waiting on the cycle and its killin me but I know, Patience. Anyway, noticed today a small snail and what I think is a little button the live rock. Not sure if its coral or not. the rock came out of an active tank that was dismantled and running for a year in an office that the owner moved and didnt want the maintenance IMG_1459.JPG IMG_1460.JPG IMG_1461.jpg IMG_1459.JPG IMG_1460.JPG IMG_1461.jpg any more. His loss, my gain. Let me know if you know what the button is.

7. reefwiser

reefwiser LMAS R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Reef Squad Partner Member Article Contributor

Looks like a Mushroom coral They will multiply and grow in your tank. Good luck and Ask questions.:)

8. tom reilly

tom reilly Well-Known Member

In stage six it says you get green and string algae. It leaves you hanging. how long before the algae goes away? Do i do somthing at this point to get rid of the algae?
    Thanks in advance!

9. Jerzyray

Jerzyray Well-Known Member

You should really use rodi water or at least distilled water. Tap water you are asking for trouble

10. tom reilly

tom reilly Well-Known Member

Went with RODInG. TANK IS Cycling now with 155 lbs dry rock and 100lbs live sand. Have dots of red,green,and grown algae popping up every where.

Jerzyray likes this.
  11. Frop

Frop Well-Known Member

Im going to put a sump on my 10 gallon. If you're worried about water leaking just build it high quality and get some sensors installed to check for leaks.

12. Rafael C

Rafael C Member

Just order my first saltwater aquarium and would like your feedback (My main goal is to have as many colorful fish as possible and I may mix some reef on it but not many as they need more care)
    This is what I got
    1. Planet 205 Tank drilled 60x27x29
    2. 2 Ecotechmarine Radion xr30w pro
    3. 1 Seaside ES7 skimmer
    4. 2 Sincra #4 pumps
    5. 1 SCT Tsunami Bio 96x30 sump
    6. 100 Lbs of purple live rock
    7. 50 Lbs of live rock
    8. 8 Bags of Hawaiian black sand
    9. 1 300watts jager heater
    10. 2 sic voyager #3 current pumps

13. Frop

Frop Well-Known Member

That is a huge starter tank..

14. Rafael C

Rafael C Member

Yep, it is a good size but actually smaller compare to what I wanted that was a 750 gal. But couple of friends with experience advise me to start a bit smaller

15. ReefCatcher

ReefCatcher Member

Fantastic article, but too much for me to digest.
    Here is a fun scenario...
    75 gallon tank with only a canister filter so far. I will soon buy LED lights and powerheads. I dont know what other filtration to get
    I live on a small caribbean island where there are no petstores. This is a 100% catch and return tank. Los of experimenting. My snorkeling children will be a primary source of critters.
    Substrate will be both coarse sand and broken corals.
    All rocks will be live and wet.
    I dont have room for a sump
    We are not dying for fish, or at least dont have a terrible need to pack them in. We love inverts.

I am wide open for advice. i look forward to reading more on the forum

16. Rafael C

Rafael C Member

Well my tank was installed last Wednesday 7/27/2016 and now we are waiting for it to complete its cycle IMG_0570.JPG IMG_0570.JPG IMG_0571.JPG IMG_0571.JPG

17. ReefCatcher

ReefCatcher Member

Nice. Looks good. I am a few weeks behind you in the process, so I am going to follow along to see what you are doing and how its going. Good luck and thanks for sharing the pics

18. Rafael C

Rafael C Member

My local rep recommended not to use the lighting in my tank until the cycle is complete to reduce the algae and so far it has work out fine, tank running for a week and not algae at all, after testing the water it looks like the cycle is almost complete and I could start adding a cleaning crew but I will be out of town for a week and my rep recommended to let the tank cycle for that week and them move forward with adding stock

19. ReefCatcher

ReefCatcher Member

Thanks for the update. Keep them coming. I am just putting the water in this week and am going to jump start the whole thing by using live rock, live sand and many gallons of sea water. I may screw it up, but i dont have anything to lose at this stage.

20. Jerzyray

Jerzyray Well-Known Member

Very nice set up, was wondering on what live rock you went with?