The sweet relief of switching to Hydros

92Miata

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For you...

Ever wonder how many of something that are running perfectly fine and reliable for them but the only thing that is seen is the posts with negativity? Hobbies and social media are getting scary I have to say.

OP - glad you like the Hydros. I did something a bit different and use both. Hydros LE for Gyre control and Apex for the rest. I am integrating both via 0-10v to support water change and feed modes. One thing I wish the Hydros app had is force feedback using sliders. It is pretty bad when I want to set something to 45 and I spend a few minutes trying to get there moving the silly slider with no movement feedback to the finger :(

App is a bit wonky but what I've since found is reading through their portal a few times before trying. Rather than just trying to wing it. Maybe that is a good thing :)
you know you can just type in "45" right?

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you know you can just type in "45" right?

No. And to be honest I'm going to claim ignorance because I'm not seeing how I can do that. I just opened the app, went to schedule, and only see a left/right slider on the speed range.

Could be I don't know how to bring up the keyboard on the iphone which is probably the problem :)

92Miata

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No. And to be honest I'm going to claim ignorance because I'm not seeing how I can do that. I just opened the app, went to schedule, and only see a left/right slider on the speed range.

Could be I don't know how to bring up the keyboard on the iphone which is probably the problem :)
I have android, so no guarantees here - but just click/touch on the number right next to the slider (the 45%)

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have android, so no guarantees here - but just click/touch on the number right next to the slider (the 45%)

Never took it as such. You are kind enough to help a lad out and get them out of the ignorance camp. Out of the blue. So thank you - honestly.

And that did the trick. I never once tried to click on the number to the right of the slider.

1653679724536.png

Connor At CoralVue

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For you...

Ever wonder how many of something that are running perfectly fine and reliable for them but the only thing that is seen is the posts with negativity? Hobbies and social media are getting scary I have to say.

OP - glad you like the Hydros. I did something a bit different and use both. Hydros LE for Gyre control and Apex for the rest. I am integrating both via 0-10v to support water change and feed modes. One thing I wish the Hydros app had is force feedback using sliders. It is pretty bad when I want to set something to 45 and I spend a few minutes trying to get there moving the silly slider with no movement feedback to the finger :(

App is a bit wonky but what I've since found is reading through their portal a few times before trying. Rather than just trying to wing it. Maybe that is a good thing :)

Really happy to see you're utilizing the 0-10v in on the WELE, its still a great tool for flow customization even without the HYDROS Control. Also, we've gotten this feedback about the sliders being too difficult to slide for small adjustments. This will be addressed in an update that is coming soon.

Toob

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 for Hydros, love it. Seeing some of the lengths people go to setup functions on the Apex makes me wonder if these folks simply haven’t tried the Hydros yet…

It’s incredibly intuitive (i haven’t needed or used a manual or youtube video for anything - and have an x4+xp8 fully automated everything) and dead reliable so far. Plus the fact that they are open to 3rd party devices seals the deal permanently, as it’s only a matter of time before there’s a significantly larger ecosystem of products and options than Apex.

OP
OP
P

pixelhustler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 for Hydros, love it. Seeing some of the lengths people go to setup functions on the Apex makes me wonder if these folks simply haven’t tried the Hydros yet…

It’s incredibly intuitive (i haven’t needed or used a manual or youtube video for anything - and have an x4+xp8 fully automated everything) and dead reliable so far. Plus the fact that they are open to 3rd party devices seals the deal permanently, as it’s only a matter of time before there’s a significantly larger ecosystem of products and options than Apex.
Hydros has been extremely reliable for me as well. So far I’m very, very happy.
I will say Apex has way more capabilities as far as programming and automation goes, but I just don’t need 90% of it. One thing I learned with reefing is less is more.

thatmanMIKEson

Reefing ain't easy$
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With a hydros wifi plug 6inches away from my router it looses connection, atleast 10 times a day, i have a very nice router and get wifi around the block as i walk my dog. you can see the one day It was 52 times, yes the notifications get a bit annoying, I don't trust it to hold paper down. The only thing I trust it for is controlling my under cabinet lighting..

Screenshot_20220710-080127_Gmail.jpg

n2585722

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Only one of those alerts is for a wifi plug. Five of them are because the controller connected to the cloud but I don't see the ones for it being offline too long. Two are for the temp sensor. I get the Device has been offline and connected to the cloud almost every time I loose internet which is multiple times a day. I have nine controllers which means I get 18 alerts every time I loose internet. Loss of internet is not the fault of the controllers though. I turned off email alerts and only receive push notifications otherwise I would be getting 18 push notifications and 18 emails every time I loose the internet.

OP
OP
P

pixelhustler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With a hydros wifi plug 6inches away from my router it looses connection, atleast 10 times a day, i have a very nice router and get wifi around the block as i walk my dog. you can see the one day It was 52 times, yes the notifications get a bit annoying, I don't trust it to hold paper down. The only thing I trust it for is controlling my under cabinet lighting..

Screenshot_20220710-080127_Gmail.jpg
The router doesn’t matter as much as the configuration (mesh wifi, separate 2.4/5Ghz networks) and overall stability from your internet provider. And like n258 said above, most of those notifications are not wifi related.

thatmanMIKEson

Reefing ain't easy$
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah there's only a few that fit in the pictures do you think I'm making it up or something, do you think I dont know ow how the router works???????. If it says it connected 5 times it's because it has disconnected 5 times do you think I'm making up this issue I don't understand the 2 replys???

thatmanMIKEson

Reefing ain't easy$
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Only one of those alerts is for a wifi plug. Five of them are because the controller connected to the cloud but I don't see the ones for it being offline too long. Two are for the temp sensor. I get the Device has been offline and connected to the cloud almost every time I loose internet which is multiple times a day. I have nine controllers which means I get 18 alerts every time I loose internet. Loss of internet is not the fault of the controllers though. I turned off email alerts and only receive push notifications otherwise I would be getting 18 push notifications and 18 emails every time I loose the internet.
Thats great there's no way you can be biased then, I have 2 xp8 with x4 controllers and a xsense or whatever they are calling the need to spend more money for 4 sensor ports. I have probably 2k in their equipment, just saying i dont think they are the best quality and I don't like the wifi aspect at all that's my opinion.

Every one of those that says connected is because it was disconnected first. That's a simple screenshot I didn't group them or open it so yes there are some temperature notifications there too

thatmanMIKEson

Reefing ain't easy$
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The router doesn’t matter as much as the configuration (mesh wifi, separate 2.4/5Ghz networks) and overall stability from your internet provider. And like n258 said above, most of those notifications are not wifi related.
They don't work off 5 g and of course it's a dual band router...stability with my internet is impeccable. And yes the screen shot shows multiple notifications from hydros.

n2585722

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats great there's no way you can be biased then, I have 2 xp8 with x4 controllers and a xsense or whatever they are calling the need to spend more money for 4 sensor ports. I have probably 2k in their equipment, just saying i dont think they are the best quality and I don't like the wifi aspect at all that's my opinion.

Every one of those that says connected is because it was disconnected first. That's a simple screenshot I didn't group them or open it so yes there are some temperature notifications there too
Does you 5ghz channel and 2.4ghz channel have the same name and password on your router? If so that is the issue. If you cannot rename one of them the other option is a dedicated access point for the hydros with a different name than the router channels. If I was going to rename a channel it would be the 5ghz channel. I have 5ghz added to the name of that channel on my router. I also have a access point at the other end of my house. If I am home my iPad will not receive the disconnected alerts since it does not have internet access either when it is out. I do get the connected alerts then. When I am at work the iPad picks up both alerts. I do get a lot of them but it is because my internet goes down several times a day. I have had Spectrum out several times over the years and they have yet to fix the issue. Funny thing is when it was Time Warner I never had the issue. Only when Spectrum bought out Timer Warner did the internet start dropping out. This started before I had a Hydros. Back to your issue the most common cause of this is the 5ghz and 2.4ghz channels having the same name. If I have it right the controllers will only work on 2.4ghz but the wifi strips can also use 5ghz. If one is on 2.4ghz and the other 5ghz there is a communication issue. Check to see if your router can have different names for each of those channels. Another issue is with mesh type routers but not everyone has an issue with the mesh. It seems to be certain routers. My router is not a mesh type router and has different names for the 5ghz and 2.4ghz channels. It is a Asus RT-AC1200 router so it nothing special. My access point is an old Linksys WRT54g router setup as a access point. There are several routers that will setup as an access point. They normally have to be wired to the router to work like that. Hope this helps. Also you can alway contact CoralVue using a support ticket with this issue. Usually if I am having an issue I reboot my router first since most of the times in the past that was what would fix the issue after rebooting the controllers fisrt. So I got to where that is the first thing I do and it usually fixes the issue 98% of the time. Out of 99 alerts since Wednesday 7 were wifi devices and all but 2 were at the same time so that was likely when I rebooted the wifi on Friday when they happened. I have 4 wifi strips and a wifi feeder in the collective with the 9 controllers. Are you all of controllers in the same collective?

Last edited:

n2585722

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love my Apex but I like most people don’t rely on it for everything because it’s not perfect.
I don't think there is one that is perfect. You just have to choose what is best for you. Always have a backup in place. I plan for when a failure happens instead of if it happens.

thatmanMIKEson

Reefing ain't easy$
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does you 5ghz channel and 2.4ghz channel have the same name and password on your router? If so that is the issue. If you cannot rename one of them the other option is a dedicated access point for the hydros with a different name than the router channels. If I was going to rename a channel it would be the 5ghz channel. I have 5ghz added to the name of that channel on my router. I also have a access point at the other end of my house. If I am home my iPad will not receive the disconnected alerts since it does not have internet access either when it is out. I do get the connected alerts then. When I am at work the iPad picks up both alerts. I do get a lot of them but it is because my internet goes down several times a day. I have had Spectrum out several times over the years and they have yet to fix the issue. Funny thing is when it was Time Warner I never had the issue. Only when Spectrum bought out Timer Warner did the internet start dropping out. This started before I had a Hydros. Back to your issue the most common cause of this is the 5ghz and 2.4ghz channels having the same name. If I have it right the controllers will only work on 2.4ghz but the wifi strips can also use 5ghz. If one is on 2.4ghz and the other 5ghz there is a communication issue. Check to see if your router can have different names for each of those channels. Another issue is with mesh type routers but not everyone has an issue with the mesh. It seems to be certain routers. My router is not a mesh type router and has different names for the 5ghz and 2.4ghz channels. It is a Asus RT-AC1200 router so it nothing special. My access point is an old Linksys WRT54g router setup as a access point. There are several routers that will setup as an access point. They normally have to be wired to the router to work like that. Hope this helps. Also you can alway contact CoralVue using a support ticket with this issue. Usually if I am having an issue I reboot my router first since most of the times in the past that was what would fix the issue after rebooting the controllers fisrt. So I got to where that is the first thing I do and it usually fixes the issue 98% of the time. Out of 99 alerts since Wednesday 7 were wifi devices and all but 2 were at the same time so that was likely when I rebooted the wifi on Friday when they happened. I have 4 wifi strips and a wifi feeder in the collective with the 9 controllers. Are you all of controllers in the same collective?
Yes my router has seperate names and passwords I only use the 2.4ghz for most stuff, but that is an idea to make a wifi extender just for hydros. I'm not to worried about it I only got the wifi plug for a test and for me and my set up it will not work for me, I prefer a wired connection. And I only require the xp8. I have it basically as a monitoring system, im not using it to its full potential thats for sure, but i have two systems and two different collectives . Thank you for the information and help, I've only had the hydros for a couple of months and I'm not completely tech savvy, so don't take my experience as gospel ;)

n2585722

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes my router has seperate names and passwords I only use the 2.4ghz for most stuff, but that is an idea to make a wifi extender just for hydros. I'm not to worried about it I only got the wifi plug for a test and for me and my set up it will not work for me, I prefer a wired connection. And I only require the xp8. I have it basically as a monitoring system, im not using it to its full potential thats for sure, but i have two systems and two different collectives . Thank you for the information and help, I've only had the hydros for a couple of months and I'm not completely tech savvy, so don't take my experience as gospel ;)
You can alway use the wifi strip for non critical things. I use one of mine as a timer to turn on my wife's globes and light houses. They are set to come on at 6pm and stay on till 11pm. They have done this like clockwork since they were setup. I also have the XP8. I now have my return, skimmer, heaters and fans running from an XP8 at the tank. I also have and XS, X3 and WEv2 at the tank. The other controller are in the garage controlling the ATO, AWC, RODI and storage tanks. I use drive ports on the ATO, AWC, dosing and for the solenoids for the RODI. It is setup to automatically refill the DI tank when it foes low from the RODI. It will automatically transfer the mix tank to the fresh saltwater tank when the fresh saltwater tank goes low and the mix tank is ready to use. Once the transfer is complete it automatically refills the mix tank. All I have to do is add the salt mix and press a button when it is ready for use. I like the control being distributed across several controller. That way the loss of a single controller will not kill the whole system. You would just loose the items directly connected to the lost controller. Even if they were modules and had a single master controller they would still require a microprocessor that can communicate with master controller and relay information. The cost would be about the same anyway so why not allow each to act as independent controller when not in a collective.

gbru316

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I learned from a mechanical engineer here on R2R that the internal build on the EB8 was much more sturdy and fail-safe.

"Sturdy" is a meaningless adjective when describing electrical circuits. "Fail-safe" is near impossible to determine without having schematics (from manufacturer or reverse engineered).

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 25 39.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 15 23.8%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 21 33.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 3.2%
Back