The sweet relief of switching to Hydros

pixelhustler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently switched from Apex to Hydros and all I can say is wow. After 2 years of countless issues with the Trident, salinity probe and EB832 (including two instances that nearly nuked my tank) it feels good to sleep peacefully at night.

I went with the X4 and XP8 + Alkatronic.
The build quality, sound/visual alerts, and temperature monitoring as well as the load capacity of the XP8 are just amazing. The app is very user friendly, and compatible with my big thumbs. And the Alkatronic has kept my alkalinity extremely stable, which I couldn’t manage to do with the Trident.

Hydros definitely has some kinks that need ironing out, as well as releasing more features/devices, but so far I’m very happy to get my money’s worth. Just wanted to share my experience having spent some time with other controllers for anyone that is considering Hydros. Hopefully things will hold up well so I can post a positive 1 year update :)

laverda

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't rely on my Apex for anything critical anymore, so I sleep peacefully as well. I love my older Aquacontrollers. Thank goodness I kept an AQ2 andAQ3pro. Too bad the apex is not as reliable!

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't rely on my Apex for anything critical anymore, so I sleep peacefully as well. I love my older Aquacontrollers. Thank goodness I kept an AQ2 andAQ3pro. Too bad the apex is not as reliable!

For you...

Ever wonder how many of something that are running perfectly fine and reliable for them but the only thing that is seen is the posts with negativity? Hobbies and social media are getting scary I have to say.

OP - glad you like the Hydros. I did something a bit different and use both. Hydros LE for Gyre control and Apex for the rest. I am integrating both via 0-10v to support water change and feed modes. One thing I wish the Hydros app had is force feedback using sliders. It is pretty bad when I want to set something to 45 and I spend a few minutes trying to get there moving the silly slider with no movement feedback to the finger :(

App is a bit wonky but what I've since found is reading through their portal a few times before trying. Rather than just trying to wing it. Maybe that is a good thing :)

thatmanMIKEson

Reefing ain't easy$
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently switched from Apex to Hydros and all I can say is wow. After 2 years of countless issues with the Trident, salinity probe and EB832 (including two instances that nearly nuked my tank) it feels good to sleep peacefully at night.

I went with the X4 and XP8 + Alkatronic.
The build quality, sound/visual alerts, and temperature monitoring as well as the load capacity of the XP8 are just amazing. The app is very user friendly, and compatible with my big thumbs. And the Alkatronic has kept my alkalinity extremely stable, which I couldn’t manage to do with the Trident.

Hydros definitely has some kinks that need ironing out, as well as releasing more features/devices, but so far I’m very happy to get my money’s worth. Just wanted to share my experience having spent some time with other controllers for anyone that is considering Hydros. Hopefully things will hold up well so I can post a positive 1 year update :)
I just got the hydros x4&xp8 I've been thinking about the alkatronic but with the limited supply and lack of reviews I'm worried about trying to get one or just wait, I know hydros will be coming out with allot of products, by the hints they drop on c.v.t.v

laverda

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For you...

Ever wonder how many of something that are running perfectly fine and reliable for them but the only thing that is seen is the posts with negativity? Hobbies and social media are getting scary I have to say.
I am going by my experience. I was what most would call a Neptune Fanboy, until I got my Apex. My 26+-year-old Aquacontroller is as reliable as a rock and still in use today. ( I got it used many years ago.) My Aquacontroller 3 Pro is not as old and purchased new, but every bit as reliable. As were the other AQ2 and AQ3s I had in the past.
My apex has had numerous issues: A DEAD Brain, 2 powerstrips, 2 displays, 1 Auto feeder sounding like a freight train coming through, programming changing without any input from me, outlets not turning off when they say they are or should have. alarms not going off to tell me the PH is skyrocketing, due to the Kalk dosing pump being switched to "ON" instead of "Auto" on 3 occasions, killing all my LPS & SPS. First time I thought maybe I had somehow inadvertently turned it on somehow. The next time I am 100% sure I did not, as I had not touched it within a week before it happened. One or two of these I would probably find acceptable. 6 out of 8 expensive hardware components failing is not acceptable! The whole point of a controller is to prevent these situations!

Bob Escher

Welcome to Saltwater
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m one of those that are happy with my Apex, I have had both versions and since 2013. I have had but three issues with it and we’re all minor and taken care of quickly by support.
I hope I’m but hundreds that love their apex.
I have not added a Trident though as I’m fine with dosing and checking manually

eg8r210

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love my Hydros. I have the x4 and a wave engine. It is runs flawlessly and the customer support is second to NONE! Connor Sloan goes out of his way and over the top helping out with any problems. The one thing I love the most about the Hydros is the Wave Engine. Being able to plug in 4 pumps and getting rid of 4 controllers and 4 power bricks is AMAZING!!! I hate the clutter of all the pump controllers under the tank and the wave engine cleans that up all by itself.

n2585722

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I almost bought a hydros! But the apex and new money ecosystem swayed me. In the end the hydros just couldn’t do what I wanted. I may pick one up for a nano project though!
What was it you were trying to do that it would not do? I have one that pretty much does everything except clean the glass, add salt mix to my mix tank and clean and repair the pumps when needed. I also do my own testing other than pH.

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am going by my experience. I was what most would call a Neptune Fanboy, until I got my Apex. My 26+-year-old Aquacontroller is as reliable as a rock and still in use today. ( I got it used many years ago.) My Aquacontroller 3 Pro is not as old and purchased new, but every bit as reliable. As were the other AQ2 and AQ3s I had in the past.
My apex has had numerous issues: A DEAD Brain, 2 powerstrips, 2 displays, 1 Auto feeder sounding like a freight train coming through, programming changing without any input from me, outlets not turning off when they say they are or should have. alarms not going off to tell me the PH is skyrocketing, due to the Kalk dosing pump being switched to "ON" instead of "Auto" on 3 occasions, killing all my LPS & SPS. First time I thought maybe I had somehow inadvertently turned it on somehow. The next time I am 100% sure I did not, as I had not touched it within a week before it happened. One or two of these I would probably find acceptable. 6 out of 8 expensive hardware components failing is not acceptable! The whole point of a controller is to prevent these situations!

Fully understand. Then there is the counter experience that has modules working perfectly fine to include the salinity probe. That was direction. Who is more than likely going to post on a forum? Bad experience or problem vs running smoothly.

Please note that I do not use the term fanboy, girl, whatever. We all have our bias. I do and I'm a Neptune user since 1999. However I felt I should also include my Hydros use to make it relevant. As I noted, I believe, glad the switch is working. That is what is important.

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I saw the hydros at FFM a couple months back and I was impressed. I really wished I had waited to buy the Apex cuz hydros would have completely sold me. I've had my Apex 1.5 years now and knock on wood, no problems yet.

OP
OP
P

pixelhustler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got the hydros x4&xp8 I've been thinking about the alkatronic but with the limited supply and lack of reviews I'm worried about trying to get one or just wait, I know hydros will be coming out with allot of products, by the hints they drop on c.v.t.v
I was able to get my LFS to order one for me and got it within 2 weeks, but that was probably luck. I considered the Mastertronic but it’s too new and has too many points of (potential) failure so I’ll have to wait and see what folks have to say. What I like about the Alkatronic is how simple the machine is. Peristaltic pumps, larger hoses than the Trident (no clogging), cheap reagents and driven by a ph probe. The ph prove itself is probably the main point of failure, as they can be finicky and have a limited life, but overall it’s a reliably system. Highly recommend it, so far it’s been great.

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
7 years on many of my Apex parts and not a failure to date. I won't touch the EB832 or Trident though. Their ATO and feeder are also junk.

My Hydros on the other hand? Wifi bars are trash. Plain and simple. They will not stay connected so don't put anything critical on them. Wifi as a whole for the Hydros is a major weak spot.

2 of the 8 outlets on my XP8 died within a week of ownership. Both have now magically fixed themselves but I've lost all trust in their "superior" hardware claims.

Their graphs are borderline pointless but do the job.

The only saving grace so far is I'll give them some leeway since their still new and Carlos and Connor are great customer service.

My new 250g will eventually run both Apex and Hydros. If one dies, the other will be there to take over easy enough.

OP
OP
P

pixelhustler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fully understand. Then there is the counter experience that has modules working perfectly fine to include the salinity probe. That was direction. Who is more than likely going to post on a forum? Bad experience or problem vs running smoothly.

Please note that I do not use the term fanboy, girl, whatever. We all have our bias. I do and I'm a Neptune user since 1999. However I felt I should also include my Hydros use to make it relevant. As I noted, I believe, glad the switch is working. That is what is important.
It’s true that people complaining are usually louder than people giving praise. Ultimately, I had some pretty concerning failures with so I couldn’t risk it anymore. But Apex was great when I worked and is still objectively superior as far as features and capabilities. Hydros on the other hand does everything I need. I do think Hydros is the best think that could happen to the controller market, because competition was very much needed especially with BRS buying Neptune. Hopefully it will incentivize both companies to make better products.

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
It’s true that people complaining are usually louder than people giving praise. Ultimately, I had some pretty concerning failures with so I couldn’t risk it anymore. But Apex was great when I worked and is still objectively superior as far as features and capabilities. Hydros on the other hand does everything I need. I do think Hydros is the best think that could happen to the controller market, because competition was very much needed especially with BRS buying Neptune. Hopefully it will incentivize both companies to make better products.

Bertram buying Neptune was the best thing to happen. Neptune has been stagnant for years with a dying foundation/architecture.

Hydros will also push Neptune to actually fix things wrong in their system so that's a win for all of us like you said.

OP
OP
P

pixelhustler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
7 years on many of my Apex parts and not a failure to date. I won't touch the EB832 or Trident though. Their ATO and feeder are also junk.

My Hydros on the other hand? Wifi bars are trash. Plain and simple. They will not stay connected so don't put anything critical on them. Wifi as a whole for the Hydros is a major weak spot.

2 of the 8 outlets on my XP8 died within a week of ownership. Both have now magically fixed themselves but I've lost all trust in their "superior" hardware claims.

Their graphs are borderline pointless but do the job.

The only saving grace so far is I'll give them some leeway since their still new and Carlos and Connor are great customer service.

My new 250g will eventually run both Apex and Hydros. If one dies, the other will be there to take over easy enough.
It’s funny that have had completely opposing experiences :upside-down-face: just goes the show How much mileage can vary. I had to hardwire my Apex because it would not stay connected to wifi after one of the updates. Hydros on the other hand has been super steady for me.
I agree about the EB832, I had a bunch of issues but the EB8 on the other hand was bulletproof. I learned from a mechanical engineer here on R2R that the internal build on the EB8 was much more sturdy and fail-safe.
I still don’t fully rely on Hydros and have 1 out of my 2 return pumps plugged in directly to the surge protector power strip.

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
It’s funny that have had completely opposing experiences :upside-down-face: just goes the show How much mileage can vary. I had to hardwire my Apex because it would not stay connected to wifi after one of the updates. Hydros on the other hand has been super steady for me.
I agree about the EB832, I had a bunch of issues but the EB8 on the other hand was bulletproof. I learned from a mechanical engineer here on R2R that the internal build on the EB8 was much more sturdy and fail-safe.
I still don’t fully rely on Hydros and have 1 out of my 2 return pumps plugged in directly to the surge protector power strip.

I'm 100% for hardwiring anything I can in my house. My Apex is hardwired and always will be.

My father-in-law is an electrical engineer by trade and designs massive public transportation systems. I showed him the inside of an EB832 and he laughed at it. Said that was how you build as cheap as possible to maximize profits. Then I told him the price and he almost had a heart attack lol.

I stick to the EB8 and EB4.

BanjoBandito

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What was it you were trying to do that it would not do? I have one that pretty much does everything except clean the glass, add salt mix to my mix tank and clean and repair the pumps when needed. I also do my own testing other than pH.
Salinity/Conductivity was something I wanted (regardless of complaints/issues) - I don't trust my ATO, never have - I'm also trying to build an autowater change system with the DOS pumps, along with (eventually) adding a trident. Cost per dollar is less than the Hydros in the end.

n2585722

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use my Hydros for ATO. It has been great. In fact it is normally how I catch an issue with the AWC. I will get a alert for maximum on time or maximum off time has been exceeded. If it exceeds the maximum on time it will shut off and remain off until I intervene. When I had a salinity probe on my Archon it would usually start drifting down all of a sudden on the reading so I could not use it to control anything anyway.

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.7%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 47 58.0%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 23 28.4%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 5 6.2%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.7%
Back