The tale of a newb, a sump and a Glasscage.

OP
OP
dreamcatcherr9

dreamcatcherr9

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tank on stand!

F9625E58-B625-4C92-BAED-46EF8BEF850B.jpeg 9FC7DC92-887A-47BB-8D93-B74F9C094F3A.jpeg 13D9905D-8E3E-4F91-BF46-00E02AE737DB.jpeg 5F437081-A76E-4F67-B0E8-485226136DA5.jpeg

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
nice work ,may i suggest some ball valves..on return lines ,before and after unions,take a good look ,where you may have to open line ,in future ,clogged snail,bad pump..etc flow control.etc... love spending other people's money...lol :p :cool:

OP
OP
dreamcatcherr9

dreamcatcherr9

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
nice work ,may i suggest some ball valves..on return lines ,before and after unions,take a good look ,where you may have to open line ,in future ,clogged snail,bad pump..etc flow control.etc... love spending other people's money...lol :p :cool:
My budget has went out the window twice already!

OP
OP
dreamcatcherr9

dreamcatcherr9

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Day 10....

10 days of having my tank and no water. My wife actually asked me today when I thought I’d be done .

I think she is tired of my mess everywhere! Though, like I mentioned before, with canisters and HOB equipment I would have water in a tank in 1 day!

My original estimate was 1 week. 5-7 days. Now, realistically, I am looking at 2-3 weeks! I was hoping 2 weeks (maybe day 14) for tap water leak test. And with any luck, day 21 be completely done with all equipment installed and running.

Okay, back to Day 10. I redid and finished most of my dry fit stage (short of 1 adapter I needed to order). Once I have my missing piece I can quickly finalize the dry fit stage, and begin cutting and gluing the red pvc.

My plan, from dry fit stage, remove and replace (cutting and gluing) 1 piece at a time, or sections at a time. Starting with drains, then returns. In dry fit stage (probably over the next few days), I will add the support clamps to the areas needed / will benefit from.

Oh, I rebuilt (made a new one) my SW mixing station. I read (here) someone said; if you want it to look nice, sometimes you have to accept your mistakes and do it again, no matter what than means, time, money, etc.

I am much happier with version 2. And now, I will have 2 mixing stations to help set up. I plan to sell my original mixing station with my Nuvo 20 after this Tank is set up. So much little things to do still.

Thanks for allowing me to share!

Mocha_Storm

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
PART 1:

Introduction:

(The Good Stuff will start at PART 3: Equipment List; PART 4: Pre Construction Pics)

So begins my build thread!

72 long x 30 wide x 24 tall Tank (approximately 240g) plus a 60g sump (so can I call it a 300g build LOL)

Okay, probably only 220g in display and 30g in sump, so 250-gallon system.

I have never done a build thread or shared this much detail on this hobby. It is nice to have an outlet to share something that most of my friends and family to not share the same passion about. Even friends I have meet from other hobbies (like Jiu Jitsu, Archery, etc.), stay interested in that hobby, no one cares about my fish! Seriously though, if you are taking the time to read or follow this, I do appropriate it.

As the title suggests, I am a newb to sumps and plumbing, but I do have a bit of experience with fish and aquariums and I will elaborate further. If you are a master with lots of experience, please help me and give comments and options anywhere you can. If you are inexperienced and looking to educate yourself, hopefully you can learn something from my experience (or we can learn together through this journey).

Appreciations:

Thank you to my wife (and children); who allowed me to achieve my goals and dreams.

Thank you to my employer of over 15 years; during good and bad times. I am lucky to have a job.

Thank you to everyone here at on Reef2Reef; everyone who every commented on my posts and everyone who ever posted something I found helpful.

Special thanks to @Water Dog and @naterealbig who provided some great feedback and a personal sounding board for me to ask all my stupid questions (expect more to come!).

Special thanks to @Joe Glass Cages, who helped me achieve this dream and provide excellent customer service, and an awesome custom tank that was made to order and built just for me!

And thank you to me, for loving me so much, hahahaha (jk).

Awaiting Tank & Stand delivery (hoping before the end of this month).

99% of equipment is purchased and has been delivered.

@dreamcatcherr9 you have an amazing tank. I actually saw it getting built when I went to visit @Joe Glass Cages and discuss my tank that I’m “patiently” waiting to get finished. The smoked bracing is beautiful and something I had never seen before.

best of luck with the build and look forward to seeing more pics.

zbryant91

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Found your build via the glasscages Facebook page. Just read through and like the build. Am hoping to so a new build of my own around the beginning/middle of next year and like finding ideas from people like you.

I may have overlooked it, but why did you decide on the smoked eurobrace? I'm actually about an hour from glass cages and plan to use them for my build so always good to see more people enjoying their work

OP
OP
dreamcatcherr9

dreamcatcherr9

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@dreamcatcherr9 you have an amazing tank. I actually saw it getting built when I went to visit @Joe Glass Cages and discuss my tank that I’m “patiently” waiting to get finished. The smoked bracing is beautiful and something I had never seen before.

best of luck with the build and look forward to seeing more pics.
Thanks for the reply and following! It’s Friday (technically Saturday morning, 2:20am. I made serious progress today on the tank. I will update the build thread tomorrow. Hope you enjoy!

OP
OP
dreamcatcherr9

dreamcatcherr9

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Found your build via the glasscages Facebook page. Just read through and like the build. Am hoping to so a new build of my own around the beginning/middle of next year and like finding ideas from people like you.

I may have overlooked it, but why did you decide on the smoked eurobrace? I'm actually about an hour from glass cages and plan to use them for my build so always good to see more people enjoying their work
Thanks for the reply and following! In short (because it’s 2am and if I don’t go to bed soon I surely will die, lol); I had no idea what I wanted!

Joe at GlassCages was great. At first I wanted rimless. Then I switched to standard frame. Then I complained I disliked the eurobracing in general. And finally, Joe (who truly is passionate about his work) offered this unique tank.

It turned out amazing! More pics to follow tomorrow.....Thanks again!

OP
OP
dreamcatcherr9

dreamcatcherr9

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s 2:30am. I could have almost done it (finished gluing); but ugh, I ran out of glue.

It took a whole can (little) to do my 2 mixing stations (version 1 and version 2). I should have known 1 little can was not enough.

I got all my drain lines plumbed and glued (x3). But as I stated return lines I knew it was to close to risk, and at 2:00am, it was time to draw the line (dang it!).

Ok, Lowe’s at 7:00am for me. 4 hours of sleep is enough right?

Seriously, the glue can states 2 hours dry time. Would I be safe to fresh water leak test after 4 hours? BRS recommends 24 hrs (?), but if the can says 2hrs, I should be safe with 4hrs?

Bed time now....thanks for reading!

OP
OP
dreamcatcherr9

dreamcatcherr9

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am beat! Feeling good (accomplished), but definitely exhausted. I never plumbed a tank before (or used a sump). The end result (esthetically) is acceptable. I give myself a B+. Not perfect, but for a first time, not to bad.

Now let’s hope it’s functionally sound and holds water (cross fingers please, no leaks!?). So I was up till 3am last night. Spent the day with 4 hours of sleep under my belt (obviously not working on tank all day), but as of 3pm, the last pvc fitting was glued in place.

I made one annoying mistake, I had been triple checking as I went, but this morning, my first pcs I did not triple check, and I paid the price. If you notice in one of my pics, a white coupler, used basically as a bandaid. I cut a pvc pipe to short, and needed to connect.

Thankfully I’ve learned enough about basic plumbing I figured out and went out to purchase a coupler to connect the two pvc. I would have preferred a sch 80 gray, would have looked more intentional, but I wasn’t going to wait a week for that, so white it is! It’s also behind the tank, no one will see, but I will know .

Hopefully my only issues are my own esthetics, if it holds water with no leaks, I will be super happy and live with myself and the end results!

So pvc glue says 2 hours. I read some people recommending 24hrs, but I think they are referring to repairs on tanks with live stock in them (?)..

I am going to give it 6 hours to be safe (but I’m to impatient to wait the full 24). So last glue was laid at 3pm, at 9pm I hope to be flowing water down the drains for the first time!!

If you read this, with me luck!

Joe Glass Cages

Passionate Glass Cages’s Team Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the reply and following! In short (because it’s 2am and if I don’t go to bed soon I surely will die, lol); I had no idea what I wanted!

Joe at GlassCages was great. At first I wanted rimless. Then I switched to standard frame. Then I complained I disliked the eurobracing in general. And finally, Joe (who truly is passionate about his work) offered this unique tank.

It turned out amazing! More pics to follow tomorrow.....Thanks again!
@dreamcatcherr9, thanks for the inspiration that created this very unique tank. You have great vision. Thanks for the opportunity for Glass Cages to be a part of your journey.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 30.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back