The Tale of a Sump Crab: An Autobiography

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is awesome @swebb ! You actually reminded me I had started some Fish Fiction a while back. I had about 5 chapters done then forgot all about it. You are inspiring me to think about getting it going.

OP
OP
swebb

swebb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tank felt much bigger on my own. Every direction I looked seemed familiar, but without Chiron leading the way my confidence drained. After remaining static for a few moments, I picked a direction and went for it. The rock grew narrower as I ascended. As I tried to get a look at what lay below me, I felt the rock begin to tremble. I feared the force had returned to finish me off. I retracted my body and held onto the rock for my life. The trembling did not cease and I dared not look up.

A sharp sound began. Over and over, the scraping sound set shivers down my spine. As it amplified, I realize this was something new. I cautiously peaked from my shell. A swarm of tentacles dragged black spines in my direction. Shining blue eyes were obscured by its tentacles. I ran, but it was faster. There was nowhere to turn, I was trapped. Desperately, I jumped into a hole. I felt the tentacles attach to my shell. They pulled but I held harder. I felt relief as I knew this would not be the end. Powerful vibrations ran through my shell. I could hardly think. Then I heard a crack. The beast was breaking through my shell. I tried to move but the tentacles had me pinned. It removed flakes of my shell until the top half was missing. Then it passed over, oblivious to my presence.

I was left naked. The next fish to encounter me would be my last. In the distance, I spied a shell. It was moving. Perfect, my stomach growled in anticipation. As I crawled up, I discovered that my feast was not a snail, but rather a young hermit. Sadly, I knew that I could not kill one of my own, but I still needed a shell. He must have heard me as he cried out for me to show myself. Hatching a quick plan I obliged. He shook as I approached, but I calmed him through small talk. I displayed the skeleton of a shell on my back and asked him to help me hunt snail. He was starving as his eyes glossed over at the thought of food. He agreed to join me and we headed for a snail off in the distance.

After traveling from quite a while I heard the dread faint clicks. Trying to mask the clicks, I exclaimed that the snail was moving away from us too fast and we would starve before we reached it. He nodded in agreement. I suggested that we switch shell as mine was much lighter because of the hole. He paused for a moment. Fearing he would realize what was coming, I reminded him of the meal he would miss. We switched and resumed our hunt for a quarry we would never reach. The clicks grew louder, we quickened our pace. He asked if it was behind us, but I could not bear to respond. The clicks crescendoed as we looked over our shoulders. The red striped beast flew towards us. We futilely ran, but it was only seconds before the beast was on top of us. It grabbed at both of us. Then it found the hole. It relinquished its grasp on me. He screamed for me to save him, but I did not look back. I just walked away.

OP
OP
swebb

swebb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is great! Ive tried my hand at some fixtion and it’s ok, but nothing like this. So far, I’m picking up the hints on the name so far, but there aren’t enough for me to make a good guess yet.
Thank you. Its been harder than I to incorporate stuff about his name so there is almost none there. That may be why you are not finding anything.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 40.0%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 18 25.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 31.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.9%
Back