The tank everybody said i couldn't do!!!

Arthroverts

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can understand you wanting to sort of draw back from the community. I keep hearing the "This is the only way you can do it!" attitude from store owners and fellow hobbyists (makes me almost afraid to contradict my local LFS owners), but you just have to look around to see that there are more than 5 paths to Nirvana to borrow the colloquialism. Every single tank (and every single reefer for that matter) is different in its function/approach and reaction, and therefore a different approach is needed for each tank/reefer. I don't mean that the science is different, I just mean that there are slight differences in care for each tank. LEDs, T5s, metal halides, which is the best for a saltwater aquarium? Power, canister, under gravel, or protein skimmer? To sump, or not to sump? The truth I continue to see (your tank is an example) is that saltwater aquariums can be run successfully with many a method; even the ones we least expect. That's not to say that every method works, or that all are the same in their ability to produce a good tank, but you can still be successful without having or doing certain things.
Sorry if I took that the wrong way and ran the ball backwards, but that's just how the hobby appears to me as of now.

Thanks,

Arthroverts

Last edited:

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20191015_184603.jpg

This tank is just a bit over a year old now... It is home to over 160 sticks, (lost count) and 2 carpet nems... I have a total of 5 losses, 4 of which were wild, to unknown reasons... I quit posting pretty much everywhere due to people telling me i can't do what ive obviously done.. Sticks immediatly after cycle, nems at 2 months and never slowed down.... Although i wouldn't recommend for newbies, this goes to show that if you test and keep stability, it's very possible with minimum loss.....
Beautiful, comrade

Bouncingsoul39

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Every single tank (and every single reefer for that matter) is different in its function, and therefore a different approach is needed for each tank/reefer.
Arthroverts
Um, no it's not. Absolutely a stupid myth that gets parroted on the internet by inexperienced reefers and people retreating to gray area to sell stuff, excuse their mistakes, or make some rationalization about why XYZ worked or didn't work because they don't actually understand the science behind it. I can tell you exactly how to run any reef tank and it will be successful no matter what if the directions are followed to the T. Light, water, flow, some form of nutrient export. Photosynthetic corals husbandry requirements were established long ago and are well known. I'm not going to go on, but please stop saying this crap. It's plain false!

Arthroverts

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Bouncingsoul39, what I meant was that a slightly different approach is needed. The marine science is still there and should be respected accordingly, but not everyone will find that the Dutch Synthetic Reefing works for them or enjoy an ULMT system. Is it possible to run systems successfully these way? Absolutely. Is it possible to run systems successfully a different way? Absolutely. The same science is there, but not everyone will find certain methods to work well for them based on their own ability or amount of time they can spend on the tank.
Light, water, flow, and nutrient export are the absolute basics of any tank; I did not mean that these could be compromised. I meant that there are different ways to meet each of these needs.

See what I'm saying?

Thanks,

Arthroverts

Last edited:

Bouncingsoul39

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Bouncingsoul39, what I meant was that a slightly different approach is needed. The marine science is still there and should be respected accordingly, but not everyone will find that the Dutch Synthetic Reefing works for them or enjoy an ULMT system. Is it possible to run systems successfully these way? Absolutely. Is it possible to run systems successfully a different way? Absolutely. The same science is there, but not everyone will find certain methods to work well for them based on their own ability or amount of time they can spend on the tank.
Light, water, flow, and nutrient export are the absolute basics of any tank; I did not mean that these could be compromised. I meant that there are different ways to meet each of these needs.

See what I'm saying?

Thanks,

Arthroverts
Yes I see your point. I just can’t stand “every tank is different”. The tanks and corals are the same. Most people still use Berlin method. There are different methods of successful reef keeping is a better way to put it.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Great work!! Results say it all

Abdullah Al Faruq

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well! The reason for such words of caution is that, an inexperienced reefer is the starting point for almost everyone. Most of us reef on the brink of our budget. Information and technological advancement that wasn't available about a decade ago has made it possible to shorten the wait or approach in a variety of ways. The monotony in the story of a reefing journey was due to a lot of reasons. One being that the hobby was in its teen-years. Now, it has turned into a heedless young man wanting to go reckless, trying different things and that's natural so, we should let it be. Unless we venture into the unknown, nothing new shall found. Risks? Yes, that's where our elders step in to issue a warning note as every loss has a price. It is also a fact that by nature we humans are cautious and afraid of the dark. That's fine too. One thing I must put in here is that, experiments are supposed to be carried out in secret vaults and we only discover the creatures when they surface.

melanotaenia

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most people who kill acros are going to kill them no matter when they put them in their aquariums. Your tank helps to reaffirm that correct husbandry and expert knowledge is all that is required to keep them looking good.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 147 88.6%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.8%
Back