The thing a beaver builds to block water flow, England calling!

Status
Not open for further replies.

JMM744

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I never see a reason to use vulgarity. Seems society has decided to use it everywhere. Can not watch tv without it and websites are full of it. We push the limit until anything goes. It’s sad that people feel they have to cuss to make a point and include kids. Kids are used by others all the time to push their agenda saying we need to protect the kids yet offensive language are commonplace and even encouraged. This site owner has decided to do things different. I applaud his decision. If people choose to not engage due to that it’s just too bad. It’s like watching old comedians who were funny without foul language and bathroom humor. They were funny! Now everything is toilet humor and let’s see how vulgar we can make it. It’s not a change for the better.

Last edited by a moderator:

cromag27

octoaquatics.com - ig = @octoaquatics. view my sig
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I never see a reason to use vulgarity. Seems society has decided to use it everywhere. Can not watch tv without it and websites are full of it. We push the limit until anything goes. It’s sad that people feel they have to cuss to make a point and include kids. Kids are used by others all the time to push their agenda saying we need to protect the kids yet offensive language and abortion are commonplace and even encouraged. This site owner has decided to do things different. I applaud his decision. If people choose to not engage due to that it’s just too bad. It’s like watching old comedians who were funny without foul language and bathroom humor. They were funny! Now everything is toilet humor and let’s see how vulgar we can make it. It’s not a change for the better.

however, it’s still important to respect people from all walks of life - even those who swear, like me!!! i like toilet humor, i like being vulgar. and i have a sense of humor like a five year old. so what? there’s just a time and a place for it. some forums i’m on it’s expected, this one, not so much. sometimes i have to be friendly reminded of the r2r boundaries, but that’s what happens when you try to set rules that are subjective. you can’t just say “family friendly”, because you don’t know my family!!!!! haha!!!!

OP
OP
N

najer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
however, it’s still important to respect people from all walks of life - even those who swear, like me!!! i like toilet humor, i like being vulgar. and i have a sense of humor like a five year old. so what? there’s just a time and a place for it. some forums i’m on it’s expected, this one, not so much. sometimes i have to be friendly reminded of the r2r boundaries, but that’s what happens when you try to set rules that are subjective. you can’t just say “family friendly”, because you don’t know my family!!!!! haha!!!!

I skipped a few me being vulgar comments, I know the site is family friendly, my original point is that I can type damnation but not just the first 4 letters, go figure! ;)

cromag27

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I skipped a few me being vulgar comments, I know the site is family friendly, my original point is that I can type damnation but not just the first 4 letters, go figure! ;)

can’t say i disagree with you. but on a larger scale, if this is the main concern in your life, then you’re doing pretty good! haha!!!

tripdad

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The problem here is you actually know how to spell! Many would not know that an "N" on the end is needed to use it as you intended. I've been caught a couple of times myself by the mods, I slipped up, but I am human.

WVNed

The fish are staring at me with hungry eyes.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Well it's a movie title
serveimage

It was rated PG

foxt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, that is weird. So is this: bloody hell! Makes you wonder how the whole censor-bot thing can possibly manage, what with context, cultural differences, etc. all being so important.

Cassian

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not trying to get in the middle of this, but me, as a minor, appreciate R2R’s family friendliness. :) it think cussing is just unnecessary, it is just a word. Do you gain anything from using it? No

Thank you R2R for being appropriate for young reefers like me :D

cromag27

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not trying to get in the middle of this, but me, as a minor, appreciate R2R’s family friendliness. :) it think cussing is just unnecessary, it is just a word. Do you gain anything from using it? No

Thank you R2R for being appropriate for young reefers like me :D

some people do gain a benefit from using adult language. so again, everyone’s feelings count. you respect us and we’ll respect you.

btw, ibtl. lol.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Even though the 2 words share 4 letters (the first 4 letters in damnation - they are (of course 2 different words with 2 different meanings). The one with 4 letters, I'm also sure you know is an abbreciation of another saying that has the word 'God' In front of it. There are lots of examples in English - and its based on convention (i.e. how people use language) as compared to common sense. I.e. why is gosh darn it ok - but the other version is not

Quietman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just read the policy the other day the first time. Very reasonable and appears to be consistently enforced. The site has the right to set its own standards. Also shows a sense of responsibility to the community. I can communicate my frustration and emotions without resorting to language others might find offensive....or trying to make the moderators work harder by trying to find ways around the search tools.

cromag27

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just read the policy the other day the first time. Very reasonable and appears to be consistently enforced. The site has the right to set its own standards. Also shows a sense of responsibility to the community. I can communicate my frustration and emotions without resorting to language others might find offensive....or trying to make the moderators work harder by trying to find ways around the search tools.

yeah great policies. i just have to be careful and not slip up!! you come up in here with blatant disregard for the rules, then there will be problems.

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hi guys, thanks all of you for being valuable members to our community. As was already stated, we know that there are words, terms, and topics that some find offensive that others do not. We respect that. However, what we're asking everyone to abide by in our TOS isn't a new standard. It's the Golden Rule which has been around for centuries.

We are sympathetic to the fact that some of you may not agree with the policies set forth on R2R. However, we do not apologize for the standards we have in place. We love our community (and that includes each of you who have participated in this thread!), and we love the family-friendly culture that is reflected on R2R. You guys are all part of an amazing community of reefers who show respect and support for one another in this great hobby, and we are not considering changing that culture in any way that wouldn't be for the betterment of our community as a whole (valuing all of our members equally).

We appreciate your feedback, but this discussion has run its course and so this thread is now closed. Hope you guys all have a wonderful day!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 154 61.4%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 68 27.1%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 88 35.1%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 43 17.1%
  • Other

Votes: 67 26.7%
Back