The Three Amigos (Kole Tang and Clowns)

egwich

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I added a Kole Tang to my aquarium a little over a week ago, and he literally has become best buds with the two Clown Fish. The three of them swim around the tank together, and now it seems the Clowns are starting to nip the rock for algae when they see the Tang doing it. I wasn't expecting this behavior at all, in fact I was a little worried the Tang may get bullied since my Clowns were the first thing added to the tank. Anyone else experience similar behavior with Tangs and Clowns bonding?

OP
OP
E

egwich

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I added a Kole Tang to my aquarium a little over a week ago, and he literally has become best buds with the two Clown Fish. The three of them swim around the tank together, and now it seems the Clowns are starting to nip the rock for algae when they see the Tang doing it. I wasn't expecting this behavior at all, in fact I was a little worried the Tang may get bullied since my Clowns were the first thing added to the tank. Anyone else experience similar behavior with Tangs and Clowns bonding?

Dr. Reef

www.drreefsquarantinedfish.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You really never know about how fish will behave. This is what makes this hobby so exciting.
My guess on the clowns nipping rock would be looking for laying eggs but without actually seeing hard to say.
Nice though

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are they the only fish in the tank, or very few in total? This behavior makes fish feel more safe if there aren’t other active fish in the tank. No fish wants to swim the reef alone — a big target on its back for sure! :D

OP
OP
E

egwich

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are they the only fish in the tank, or very few in total? This behavior makes fish feel more safe if there aren’t other active fish in the tank. No fish wants to swim the reef alone — a big target on its back for sure! :D

Yes, I only have the two clowns and the Kole Tang. There are also two cleaner shrimp and a snail. I want to keep my tank lightly stocked so the stress is minimal. I plan on adding one more (not sure what yet) and then call it a day for awhile.

Tikosyn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a similar thing happening in my reef. I just added an engineer goby and a trio of zoster butterflyfish and all of the sudden my foxface, who would only constantly hide before, is out swimming around with the zoster's and loving it! I guess he just needed some more fish in the tank to feel comfortable.

BestMomEver

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was looking at fish at the LFS the other day and witnessed the oddest behavior. In one tank was a bunch of scooter blennies and a few baby ocellaris. One of the clowns took a liking to one of the blennies. The two were inseparable. Everywhere the Blenny went the clown was right there loving on it and rubbing against it. In turn, the Blenny followed the clown and even protected it from the other clowns and blennies in the tank. They were obviously very attached to each other. Strangest thing I’ve ever seen!

BestMomEver

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a similar thing happening in my reef. I just added an engineer goby and a trio of zoster butterflyfish and all of the sudden my foxface, who would only constantly hide before, is out swimming around with the zoster's and loving it! I guess he just needed some more fish in the tank to feel comfortable.
Same happened with my chromis and Firefish. Once the chromis were added, the Firefish stayed out in the open all the time. I think some fish use schooling fish as an early warning system. If the school scatters, it’s time to hide!

Ghauck81

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The exact same thing has happened to me. I bought a Kole over the weekend. I already had two clowns in my 65 gallon tank. They were very hesitant on day one, but since then , they swim together.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 35 34.3%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 21 20.6%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 8.8%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 6 5.9%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 28 27.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.9%
Back