The tilting of the Earth just ruined my tank...

Ippyroy

Defeater of Dinos
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
placement. I recently started a 20 gallon AIO in my bedroom. The main item for this tank is a mangrove. I am no rush with tank. It has been cycled for a few weeks with only a few mangrove pods floating around, a small powerhead, and a Kessil A80. i was thinking about some gorgonians in it and some shrimp and crabs. I had a diatom bloom about 3 weeks ago. It's played out and a couple of green spots showed up on one of hte rocks and in the corner on the sand. I wasn't worried because I have an oversized CUC in my other tank, and I was going to put a few of the snails in there before they became crab snacks anyway, just waiting for the algae to really take off.

I come today, feed my tank and start to change for my second job. I look over at my tank and the green spots grew by about a 1000x. The tank was super bright. I have a south facing window, with another cabin next door. This cabin is about 8 feet away from mine. With a nice clean shiny aluminum roof, magnifying the sunlight straight into my tank. I might try closing the curtains, I don't know for how long the sun will actually shine through this window in that exact angle to hit the tank. Hopefully it will only last a month or less.

If it only lasts a month or less I think it will be fine. Hopefully only a couple of weeks, otherwise I will have to find a new place for it, which really means I will have to build a stand but I am currently enjoying the concept of being a LAR. Have a great day out there my fellow reefers and remember this is a hobby and all hobbies should be fun.

GK3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
placement. I recently started a 20 gallon AIO in my bedroom. The main item for this tank is a mangrove. I am no rush with tank. It has been cycled for a few weeks with only a few mangrove pods floating around, a small powerhead, and a Kessil A80. i was thinking about some gorgonians in it and some shrimp and crabs. I had a diatom bloom about 3 weeks ago. It's played out and a couple of green spots showed up on one of hte rocks and in the corner on the sand. I wasn't worried because I have an oversized CUC in my other tank, and I was going to put a few of the snails in there before they became crab snacks anyway, just waiting for the algae to really take off.

I come today, feed my tank and start to change for my second job. I look over at my tank and the green spots grew by about a 1000x. The tank was super bright. I have a south facing window, with another cabin next door. This cabin is about 8 feet away from mine. With a nice clean shiny aluminum roof, magnifying the sunlight straight into my tank. I might try closing the curtains, I don't know for how long the sun will actually shine through this window in that exact angle to hit the tank. Hopefully it will only last a month or less.

If it only lasts a month or less I think it will be fine. Hopefully only a couple of weeks, otherwise I will have to find a new place for it, which really means I will have to build a stand but I am currently enjoying the concept of being a LAR. Have a great day out there my fellow reefers and remember this is a hobby and all hobbies should be fun.
Save the ocean, remove aluminum roofs.

OP
OP
Ippyroy

Ippyroy

Defeater of Dinos
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like a great place to stick some coral.... natural sunlight makes em grow really fast:)
Darn. My new corals come in next week. The sunlight will probably be gone by then. Rough way to acclimate a bunch of new corals though. I should definitely rethink this.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I expected this was going to be an earthquake or perhaps a volcano damage thread. How much solar heating does the tin roof bring to the tank?

Been a rough day-edit. :)

OP
OP
Ippyroy

Ippyroy

Defeater of Dinos
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I expected this was going to be an earthquake or perhaps a volcano damage thread. How much solar heating does the tin rough bring to the tank?
Huge attic that I can't access so basically none. But I do live in a huge volcano and we have earthquakes daily. Nothing beats living drangerously.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually, I was thinking about solar heating inside the aquarium from the reflected light.

OP
OP
Ippyroy

Ippyroy

Defeater of Dinos
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually, I was thinking about solar heating inside the aquarium from the reflected light.
I need to test that tomorrow. Didn't think about that. Thank you so much. This was mostly me being bored, just sort of goofing off. Now I have learned something rather important that I hadn't thought of. Again, thanks.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hopefully you have Low e windows, but I am curious either way how much solar heating you might experience from the reflected light. Here in CA I've noticed that a small tide pool can be elevated to comfortable "bath water temperatures" (I didn't have a thermometer to give a real number :) ) by solar heating.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 34 44.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 19 24.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 28.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.6%
Back