The time has finally come!! Upgrading my 90 SPS dom to a Waterbox Reef LX 270.6!!!

DesertReefBoy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is going on everyone?! After 4.5 years I am finally upgrading my 90 gallon SPS dominate tank to the Waterbox Reef LX 270.6. Here are the Specs of my 90 gallon. I will try to remember all the names of stuff. When I get home from work I'll post anything I missed.

90 Gallon DT w/35 gallon sump
Lighting - 48" Aquatic Life Hybrid T5 (4 blue plus T5) and 2 Radion G4
Flow - (2) max spect gyre 330 and (2) MP 40s
Large refugium with multiple species of algae lit by Kessil H380
Protein Skimmer - Bubble Magnus Curve 7
CaRx - w/versa peristaltic dosing pump.
Return Pump - Vector M2
Neptune Apex

Live Stock list

Gem tang
Yellow tang
Regal tang
Lemon peel angel
Blue jaw trigger
(2) Black Ice Clown fish
Flame Hawk
Royal Grama
Blue Damsel
Blue/Green Chromis
Talbots Damsel
Copperband Butterfly
Melanurus wrasse

Tank parameters

Alk 9
Ca 450
Mg 1350
No3 25
Po4 0.2

I dose kalkwasser with a kalk stirrer on a dosing pump.

Maintenance is pretty straight forward. I do 10% weekly water changes with Tropic Marin Pro salt. I dose approximately 20-30 ml every other day of Acropower. Other than cleaning the glass a few times a week and testing the water every other week the tank runs itself for the most part.

IMG_1179.JPG

IMG_1168.JPG
IMG_1176.JPG

This tank shot is a year or so old. I don't have any up to date photos of it on my phone lol
tempImageY9TbFe.png

Here is the water box. I bought if from a fellow reefer who had it setup for 6 months. I will be picking it up in a few weeks!
IMG_9224.jpg
IMG_9208.PNG
IMG_9210.PNG
IMG_9213.PNG

I am pretty excited to get this beast up and going!! I am still trying to figure out what I want to do but I'm thinking I'm going to move away from bare bottom and add sand. I haven't ever used sand before. I am was hoping you guys would have some recommendations! I am wanting to use the same rock structure with the SPS (possibly add more rock to it). I was thinking when I am ready to do the tank swap I will drain the 90 gallon into the new tank and add more fresh salt water. I am obviously very nervous about this. Do you think it will cause a mini cycle or do you think I'll be ok?

Thank you for reading this is you made it this far. I can't wait move forward and I will keep posting updates as they come available! IMG_1210.JPG

Last edited:
OP
OP
DesertReefBoy

DesertReefBoy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you tried meat head movers? They are 2 hours for $200

I’ll look them up. I called the local fish stores. Didn’t think about moving companies.

OP
OP
DesertReefBoy

DesertReefBoy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not really any new updates to share. Should be picking up the tank in two weeks. Next week I’ll be draining the tank to move it then filling it back up. I’ll post some pictures when it happens.

Tested the water and did a 15 gallon water change.

Alk 6.9
No3 25
Po4 0.91 (will definitely be working on bringing it down slowly with some Brightwell Phosphate E. I added 15 ml after the WC. That is why the tank is cloudy.)

Here are a few pics of the tank. Hope everyone has a great day!

IMG_9236.jpeg
IMG_9237.jpeg
IMG_9238.jpeg
IMG_9239.jpeg

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 49 35.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 29 20.7%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 11 7.9%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.1%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 36 25.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.6%
Back