The time is nearly here time to buy my dream tank

Pmauro55

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The time is near I will buy my 300 gallon or more dream tank. My question is who has the best prices for monster tanks. Do any of the manufacturers offer a military discount. I have about 3k to “invest” in the tank. I know glass is cheaper but acrylic is stronger. Thoughts and advice ?

CMMorgan

Counting my blessings...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Being in the middle of a not so smooth custom tank experience.... my advice is to think first about what you need in the tank. You said this is your dream build, it won't happen again, so do it right the first time. Where will it be located? In the wall? First floor, second? What is the access to the space - how will you move it? What type of overflow do you want? Where will you place the sump? Will you have a canopy? How thick do you want the sides to be? Will you be reusing any wavemakers?
All of these questions need answers before you can start shopping tanks. Weight, strength, maneuverability ... and yes ... cost. You can easy spend 3k on a tank. You can also blow 3k on the wrong tank. This is the fun part ... those who fail to plan, plan to fail.

OP
OP
Pmauro55

Pmauro55

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for your reply, I have been planning this tank for well over a year; in fact I bought my house a year ago specifically with a large tank in mind. The space, placement, equipment, setup, lighting, sump, pumps, plumbing, power source, mixing station are planned out. hospital / quarantine tanks purchased(2 80 Gal, 2 40 gal and 2 25 gal glass tanks) placement have all been planned. the variables will be the tank it’s self, glass or plastic, placement of overflows and returns depending on what each manufacturer offers. I know where and how I would like them but my ideas may not be feasible. The tank will sit on a slab so weight will not be an issue, I have already checked the level in the room and I will build the correction ⅛ inch into the stand. I have a used 150 gal tank that will be used as a sump directly under the DT and I’m preparing it now with 5 separate adjustable chambers for equipment / refugium expansion and easy reconfiguration if I decide to add / delete / change things up as tech changes. It will take me another year to get the pumps lighting aquascape completed. I’m doing the stand/ cabinet, electrical, plumbing, making the dry rock myself. And of course I have planned out the budget for buying everything over the next 8-10 months. I am currently experimenting with a couple of diy lighting solutions using Cree leds. As you can see I can be pretty anal when it comes to planning, it comes from 28 years in the Navy intel world. Plan, plan, research , verify the data and replan, recheck the data and plan

OP
OP
Pmauro55

Pmauro55

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is the18 ft wall where the tank will sit. Since this photo was taken I have upgraded the electrical added 3 4 socket wall plugs each on its own circuit with GFCI / CAFI breakers. The tank will sit 3’ from the wall to allow access to the equipment below via removable access panels the length of the stand front and back and both ends

Attachments

• 4FC875F4-D5FD-43D4-8ACA-3BE8826142EB.jpeg
    4FC875F4-D5FD-43D4-8ACA-3BE8826142EB.jpeg
    153.5 KB · Views: 23

Tuffyyyyy

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since you're in Columbia, check out Glass Cages. They're a reasonably priced place and within a close enough distance for you to pick it up. I drove up there last year to pick up my frag tank from them.

FishTruck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For the tank against the wall - an external coast to coast overflow would be ideal. Keep the back contour flat for easier aqua scaping and maintenance and make sure you can reach the bulkheads from below.

I am really enjoying my glass tank after two acrylic tanks. It's easier to scrape and no scratches so far.

Also, is your tank going to be totally exposed or encased in wood work? Some of the money people spend is focused on the tank itself being a piece of artwork. The perfect seams... the polished edges... etc... are really important to them.

Others, just need clear panes, solid construction, and a good overflow / return setup.

If you are interested in glass, you can use the configurator for custom aquariums, to get an idea of how choices affect cost. I had a great experience with them. Glasscages also is known for reasonable prices (they have acrylic too).

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 129 88.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 4.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.1%
Back