The TOP 3 fish for your saltwater reef aquarium are...

Pick 3 types of fish that are in your TOP 3 Reef Aquarium Fish?

• Angelfish

Votes: 178 20.6%
  • Anthias

Votes: 136 15.7%
  • Basslets

Votes: 50 5.8%
  • Blennies

Votes: 167 19.3%
  • Butterfly Fish

Votes: 82 9.5%
  • Cardinalfish

Votes: 41 4.7%
  • Clownfish

Votes: 445 51.4%
  • Dartfish

Votes: 18 2.1%
  • Dottybacks

Votes: 15 1.7%
  • Dragonets

Votes: 111 12.8%
  • Foxface

Votes: 89 10.3%
  • Gobies

Votes: 157 18.1%
  • Hawkfish

Votes: 32 3.7%
  • Jawfish

Votes: 18 2.1%
  • Tangs

Votes: 537 62.0%
  • Wrasse

Votes: 392 45.3%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 38 4.4%

• Total voters

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Let me start by saying that I want specifics here people! For example if you think a surgeonfish is one of the top 3 fish don't tell me you like tangs, you have to pick a specific tang! Ok now that we have that out of the way let's proceed! Fish, fish, fish oh beautiful reef fish! A reef tank isn't a reef tank without beautiful fish swimming around in it. But which ones are a must have? Better yet which are the TOP 3? Let's talk about it!

What are your TOP 3 Reef Aquarium Fish and why is that? Remember to be specific about your choices!

Ok here is my answer:

Clownfish - Because a reef tank isn't a reef tank without them! The way their body moves as they swim is memorizing! They also have beautiful orange, white and black color patterns. And of course the way that they will make a home in anemones and other corals make them amazing in my book!

Yellow Belly Regal Tang - Because what is Nemo without Dory? No really it's because of the striking blue, yellow and black color pattern of this fish. In my experience the regal is mostly friendly and is super hardy as well. They are great algae eaters and you don't have to sacrifice looks for a good hard working fish! Just don't spoil it too much!

Flame Fairy Wrasse - Going to throw out a curve ball here and pick this wrasse as my third favorite fish for a reef tank for one major reason. They are so beautiful and photos do not do this justice! It's a peaceful wrasse and yes they are jumpers but they are stunningly beautiful fish!

So what are your top 3?

image via @PacificIslandAquatics
Flame Wrasse Alpha Male.jpg

Last edited:

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tang: Chocolate Tang - stays smaller, not really aggressive and subtle beauty
Angelfish Tie: Watanabe Angelfish (reef safe) with male and female with different coloration, totally reef safe; Chysurus Angelfish (mostly reef safe) since they keep the blue and white stripes into adulthood and are pretty safe in a reef for a larger angelfish.
Wrasse: Any Leopard Wrase... just love all of them with the colors and movement in and out of the rocks and corals.

Honorable Mention: reef safe triggers like Sargassum, Crosshatch and Blue Throat.

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. Melanarus wrasse is hands down my favorite fish, they're the perfect combination of beautiful, affordable, and utilitarian for eating many reef pests.

2. Purple tang because they're hardy and beautiful.

3. Emperor angel, even though I've never had one I love the transition from juvenile to adult plus the color and pattern of the adult is amazing to me.

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well with 4 fish in my tank…there aren’t many good options for me.
1. Firefish (red is my favorite), such a mesmerizing swimming pattern and an even more gorgeous color pattern! Such an elegant fish that should be in every tank!
2. Aurora goby (or any shrimpgoby), beautiful patterns, amazing behavior, symbiotic pairing (except mine lol), what isn’t to love!
3. Royal gramma, not many purple fish out there, and these guys look amazing! Not to mention their darting in and out of rocks is super fun to watch!

Honorable mention - clownfish. I love them, but mine is currently on the naughty list…

sp1187

bird flu antidote
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my tank
1. copperband: love the coloring. active swimmer (never sleep) and rock picker getting any and all aips that escape the sump.
2. fox face: color. vibrant yellow. fun to watch. fin fanning warning it's mates off. very active swimming and picking at the rocks.
3: lyretail damsel: not many jet black fish that are reef safe. activity (shoaling/schooling) non- agressive

Lyss

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, I’m biased towards thinking in terms of nano b/c that’s what I have! My top three nano reef fish are:

Clownfish: They make the reef. In addition to the way they swim, I’ve enjoyed watching mine pair up and become a duo.

Tailspot blenny: Tons of personality here. This guy is funny and fun to watch. He perches all over the reef, sometimes in goofy positions, and likes to be part of the action.

Pink streaked wrasse: This is my third choice, and will likely be my fourth fish if I decide to add a fourth. Wrasse are pretty, and useful. And the pink-streaked is known to be a wonderfully peaceful member of any nano reef.

Runner up goes to puffers. They are intelligent and fun! Just need a bit of a bigger tank than a nano ;)

Soren

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a difficult one for me!
I would say top 3 are:
1. Fiji bicolor foxface (Siganus uspi): this is an easy one for me, since I just love the coloration, activity, and utility of these fish! All other foxfaces and some other rabbitfish follow close behind in preference.
2. Raccoon butterflyfish (Chaetodon lunula): another easy one, butterflyfish have such beautiful colorations and gracefulness, and the Raccoon is my top favorite with the Auriga butterflyfish (Chaetodon auriga) a close second in this category.
3. Black and white clownfish (Amphiprion ocellaris): due to their striped appearance, interesting and humorous antics, symbiosis with anemones, and nice size to fit a wide range of tanks. I will probably always try to have at least one pair of clownfish in at least one tank as long as I live.

...and, because it was so difficult to choose a top 3:
4. Purple tang (Zebrasoma xanthurus) and Tomini tang (Chtenochaetus tominiensis): both for appearance and activity/utility as well as long lifespan and intractability.
4. Engineer goby (Pholidichtys leucotaenia): the grumpy face, unique color pattern, similarity to eels, and busy burrowing nature make this fish a favorite of mine (not to mention that I am an engineer by occupation).
4. Cleaner gobies, particularly sharknose gobies (Elcatinus evelynae): lovely appearance, interesting tiny-but-still-visible size, nice utility in cleaning.
4. Many wrasses, especially from genus Halichoeres.
4. Many cardinalfish, especially yellow-striped (Apogon cyanosoma)

I don't know if this list has an end for me...

ProxyAquarist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Apparently my top 3 are no surprise:

1. Clownfish
2. Tang
3. Wrasse

I voted and saw all three were popular. Then I saw the first post in the thread, and there were all three. Wow, I am boring !

So to add some new ground, I suggest a future poll ask, "Pick 3 types of fish that are in your Bottom 3 Reef Aquarium Fish?" A.K.A. "These fish will never be in my tank."

Furthermore, to avoid being scooped again, here are my top "Heck No, Not In My Tank" candidates:

a. Hagfish (Myxini)
b. Angler fish (Linophrynidae)
c. Monkfish (Lophius)

Yours in Forming a Passenger List for the Good Ship Oceana,
Jim

Last edited:

Dbichler

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1st would be emperor angel just an awesome bossy personality as well as transitioning color is amazing.
2nd would be tangs they are just like dogs of the sea come in all different shapes and sizes and always want to eat
3rd would be blennnies they are just cool little fish with great personality

Radman73

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I voted wrasse, dragonets, and angelfish(specifically dwarf). I'm fortunate to have 2 of my top 10 fish in the tank right now in a Potter's Angel(success on the first try!) and pintail fairy wrasse. A dragonette will be added soon, giving me 3 of my top 10.

Just really wish wrasses lived longer. 4-5 years just isn't enough.

A case can be made for every option on the list though. So many beautiful fish God has graced us with and the ability to keep them in the home is a blessing indeed.

Manny’s Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Honorable mention: Achilles Tang - never owned one. Probably never will. But they are a beautiful fish and if I was not the one covering the bill, I would definitely have one.

1: Convict Tang - this is new on my list. I recently owned a group of 3. Never have I ever seen such a hard worker before. These guys are voracious eaters who will not stop working at all. They were all peaceful community members.

2: Emperor angelfish - showstopper fish. All visitors immediately comment on its beauty. Easily my favorite.

3: Black storm clownfish - I believe I have seen these called storm trooper clownfish in the past. I like that name better. I absolutely loves these two.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 46 35.4%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 21.5%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.7%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.7%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 32 24.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back