The TOP 3 fish for your saltwater reef aquarium are...

Pick 3 types of fish that are in your TOP 3 Reef Aquarium Fish?

• Angelfish

Votes: 178 20.6%
  • Anthias

Votes: 136 15.7%
  • Basslets

Votes: 50 5.8%
  • Blennies

Votes: 167 19.3%
  • Butterfly Fish

Votes: 82 9.5%
  • Cardinalfish

Votes: 41 4.7%
  • Clownfish

Votes: 445 51.4%
  • Dartfish

Votes: 18 2.1%
  • Dottybacks

Votes: 15 1.7%
  • Dragonets

Votes: 111 12.8%
  • Foxface

Votes: 89 10.3%
  • Gobies

Votes: 157 18.1%
  • Hawkfish

Votes: 32 3.7%
  • Jawfish

Votes: 18 2.1%
  • Tangs

Votes: 537 62.0%
  • Wrasse

Votes: 392 45.3%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 38 4.4%

• Total voters

Schraufabagel

aka Schrauf_den
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Realized I don't have a good picture of my sharknose goby. I voted for Tang too, which I don't have a tank big enough for :(

_1040219.JPG

_1040228.JPG

_1040206.JPG

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Clowns because nothing says sw like clowns do

Foxface because of thier ability to consume a wide array of algeas.

Wrasse because of thier pest control ability. And they have amazing color and movement.

A Young Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1) clownfish : it’s one of the reasons most of us got into the hobby in the first place. A tank without them isn’t a tank , can’t change my mind . If I had to choose a certain morph I would go with the black davinci clownfish .
2) Purple tang : like the patterns and the Color’s on them , can be jerks sometimes .
3) a yellow Corris wrasse : great personality, Color , great at eating certain types of pests .

Lbrdsoxfan

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. Gold Spot Rabbitfish - it's different, you don't see a ton of folks having them in a tank, they do great work with algae like the cousin, the Foxface Lo and under the right light they are a beautiful fish. Also I have one.

2. Long nose Hawkfish - unique coloring, interesting to watch in a tank. Just a cool fish overall.

3. Long Nose Butterfly - Fairly active butterfly fish, good coloring, and acclimates well!

Backreefing

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know tangs are very much loved , but why is it every time I buy a tang it’s like I just wiped my butt with a $50 bill ? they seem to be preloaded with diseases like Ick ! they just die for no reason even in an aquarium with algae in it . Tangs are too fragile and too expensive . the algae eating they’re supposed to be about I never see it and I always end up in the tank with my hands and a toothbrush doing what they’re supposed to do . Ranting here .

Backreefing

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That last post is sure to get some heat .
Of all fish that you don’t even hear of I like damsels they’re so hearty and healthy . they could almost live in a bucket of urine they eat anything . they’re pretty , they’re active swimmers , they have personality , usually a bad personality. Did I mention there cheap! Lots of blues and yellow, black , white and on .

Calm Blue Ocean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Clownfish. They are just a classic reef fish! They swim like every day is their first day, they bite the hand that feeds them, and I love them for it.

Wrasse. It's a tough call between the Red-Lined Wrasse and Pink Streak but I really am crazy about the Red-Lined Wrasse. She moves through the tank like a precision stealth hunter, decimating the pod population, one pod at a time!

Blenny! It was difficult to decide between blenny and goby for number 3 because I really like gobies! But that Midas Blenny is a character. Hardly saw her for months after adding her to the tank but now she's incredibly active. Really unique swimming style and gets along well with all the other fish.

Justin_Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd have to go with a Harlequin Tusk, PJ Cardinal, and Midas Blenny. The 3 favorite fish in my current reef.

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wrasses, wrasses and wrasses. ;Smuggrin

Seriously Wrasses, Tangs and Dragonettes. I'm not really a fan of clowns....I know, I'm an outcast. :D

Favorite fish from these three categories.

Earl's Fairy wrasse, Gold Rim tang and S. splendidus (so many common names). Watch the video to the end for the Gold Rim and Earl's.

MarshallB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love my Tangs and wrasses.

1639424475597.png

Love my Wrasses
1639424547271.png

1639425954777.png

Beautiful fish that also put in work. And clowns... well can you really even have a community tank without clowns?

badgus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Madagascar flasher wrasse- Super vibrant colors, swims a ton and is gorgeous.

Borbonius anthias- beautiful to look at and very peaceful.

bluespot jawfish- tons of personality and keeps your sand clean.

LPS Bum

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Top 3 fish in my tanks huh? Ok, here goes (I only listed what I actually have, not what I want):

In my reef aquarium:

1. Purple tang (my favorite fish)
2. Blue Hippo tang (an aquarium staple)
3. Powder Brown tang (I'm referring to A. Japonicus)

In my FOWLR:

1. French angel (huge and gorgeous)
2. Queen angel (also huge, also gorgeous)
3. Asfur angel, Emperor angel, or Majestic angel. They're all spectacular. It's a toss up.

OG Reef Tanks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First off, you are killing me with the picture of the Flame Fairy Wrasse. I had a pair but recently had to rehome them do to downsizing my hobby. They were hands down my favorite reef fish for their beauty and cool swimming motion/behavior. My male was always flashing the female and strutting around the tank. My second favorite was my Magnificent Foxface Rabbitfish (my icon pic), which I also had to rehome. My third favorite is the Royal Gramma (I have never had a reef tank without one). I currently have a Royal Gramma that has been with me six years in my new 29 gallon nano reef. I also have to give a shoutout to Starry Blennies. I plan on putting one in my 29 gallon soon.

BigSkyRich

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let me start by saying that I want specifics here people! For example if you think a surgeonfish is one of the top 3 fish don't tell me you like tangs, you have to pick a specific tang! Ok now that we have that out of the way let's proceed! Fish, fish, fish oh beautiful reef fish! A reef tank isn't a reef tank without beautiful fish swimming around in it. But which ones are a must have? Better yet which are the TOP 3? Let's talk about it!

What are your TOP 3 Reef Aquarium Fish and why is that? Remember to be specific about your choices!

Ok here is my answer:

Clownfish - Because a reef tank isn't a reef tank without them! The way their body moves as they swim is memorizing! They also have beautiful orange, white and black color patterns. And of course the way that they will make a home in anemones and other corals make them amazing in my book!

Yellow Belly Regal Tang - Because what is Nemo without Dory? No really it's because of the striking blue, yellow and black color pattern of this fish. In my experience the regal is mostly friendly and is super hardy as well. They are great algae eaters and you don't have to sacrifice looks for a good hard working fish! Just don't spoil it too much!

Flame Fairy Wrasse - Going to throw out a curve ball here and pick this wrasse as my third favorite fish for a reef tank for one major reason. They are so beautiful and photos do not do this justice! It's a peaceful wrasse and yes they are jumpers but they are stunningly beautiful fish!

So what are your top 3?

image via @PacificIslandAquatics
Flame Wrasse Alpha Male.jpg
Must admit I do get mesmorized by my file fish I lovingly call "Stoner"

zirky

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1) white tail bristle tooth tang I had one years ago but it passed. There beautiful stay small (for a tang) and are top cleanup crew. So I’m planning my new build stock list around this fish.
2) princess anthias. cmon nothing says reef like a shoal of anthias and the princess is in my opinion the most beautiful.
3) green manderin pair. I fell in love with these fish 35 years ago and it was love at first sight. Not to mention there matting dance is one of the many miracles of nature that were privileged enough to witness in our living rooms. What a great hobby.
It’s hard to leave out wrasse’s and prawn gobbie’s so I’ll giving them honorable mention

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 18.0%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 27 16.2%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 19.2%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 70 41.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.8%
Back