The TOP 3 fish for your saltwater reef aquarium are...

Pick 3 types of fish that are in your TOP 3 Reef Aquarium Fish?

• Angelfish

Votes: 178 20.6%
  • Anthias

Votes: 136 15.7%
  • Basslets

Votes: 50 5.8%
  • Blennies

Votes: 167 19.3%
  • Butterfly Fish

Votes: 82 9.5%
  • Cardinalfish

Votes: 41 4.7%
  • Clownfish

Votes: 445 51.4%
  • Dartfish

Votes: 18 2.1%
  • Dottybacks

Votes: 15 1.7%
  • Dragonets

Votes: 111 12.8%
  • Foxface

Votes: 89 10.3%
  • Gobies

Votes: 157 18.1%
  • Hawkfish

Votes: 32 3.7%
  • Jawfish

Votes: 18 2.1%
  • Tangs

Votes: 537 62.0%
  • Wrasse

Votes: 392 45.3%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 38 4.4%

• Total voters

Lynchcon

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For me it has to be -

1) Tomini Tang - the complexity of colour on its navy body and the flame orange. Beautiful fish. Under rated.
2) 6 line wrasse. Beauty and Character
3) Mandarin - colours are amazing. Very unusual behaviour.

Love the above, doesn't have to be in that order.

cmustang

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well my top 3 are not a surprise either. My new tank 120”x24”x24”
1.Black Clowns, I have two, they always swim in the same spot, will like them to swim all around
2. Yellow or purple tang even do I don’t have one yet, beautiful colors are hardy
3. China wrasse, so beautiful colors and peaceful.

Lynchcon

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For me it has to be -

1) Tomini Tang - the complexity of colour on its navy body and the flame orange fins. Beautiful fish. Very under rated.
2) 6 line Wrasse. Beauty and Character
3) Sailfin Tang - very striking fish.

Honourable mentions for (see pic)
- Mandarin - colours are amazing. Very unusual behaviour.
- Midas Blenny - movement and personality.

Love all of the above, doesn't have to be in that order.

Attachments

• 20211213_221353.jpg
    20211213_221353.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 40

Lynchcon

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For me it has to be -

1) Tomini Tang - the complexity of colour on its navy body and the flame orange fins. Beautiful fish. Very under rated.
2) 6 line Wrasse. Beauty and Character
3) Sailfin Tang - very striking fish.

Honourable mentions for (see pic)
- Mandarin - colours are amazing. Very unusual behaviour.
- Midas Blenny - movement and personality.

Love all of the above, doesn't have to be in that order.
Oops. Didn't realise my first attempted response went through.

wonderbassist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let me start by saying that I want specifics here people! For example if you think a surgeonfish is one of the top 3 fish don't tell me you like tangs, you have to pick a specific tang! Ok now that we have that out of the way let's proceed! Fish, fish, fish oh beautiful reef fish! A reef tank isn't a reef tank without beautiful fish swimming around in it. But which ones are a must have? Better yet which are the TOP 3? Let's talk about it!

What are your TOP 3 Reef Aquarium Fish and why is that? Remember to be specific about your choices!

Ok here is my answer:

Clownfish - Because a reef tank isn't a reef tank without them! The way their body moves as they swim is memorizing! They also have beautiful orange, white and black color patterns. And of course the way that they will make a home in anemones and other corals make them amazing in my book!

Yellow Belly Regal Tang - Because what is Nemo without Dory? No really it's because of the striking blue, yellow and black color pattern of this fish. In my experience the regal is mostly friendly and is super hardy as well. They are great algae eaters and you don't have to sacrifice looks for a good hard working fish! Just don't spoil it too much!

Flame Fairy Wrasse - Going to throw out a curve ball here and pick this wrasse as my third favorite fish for a reef tank for one major reason. They are so beautiful and photos do not do this justice! It's a peaceful wrasse and yes they are jumpers but they are stunningly beautiful fish!

So what are your top 3?

image via @PacificIslandAquatics
Flame Wrasse Alpha Male.jpg
Might be a little on the rebellious side here, but I love love love my eel!

Burray

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love my clown fish so that's number one. Gobies and blennies are definitely next. I would love to have a tang but my tank is only 32 gal so I wouldn't subject them to the stress.

Royce White

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Six line wrasse Because he is a tough fish.
Clown fish. Because they are a tough fish.
Pajama cardinal Because it is a tough fish
They have to be a tough fish to have lived in my aquarium for 5 years.

Scott97062

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Blue Tang or yellow tang, ocellaris clownfish, foxface are good but my Hawaiian Trigger is my favorite but he's not on the list. I'd pick a wrasse too but which one?, probable lunar. Hard to decide. I like them all.

Attachments

• P1000177.JPG
    P1000177.JPG
    108.4 KB · Views: 29
  • P1000178.JPG
    P1000178.JPG
    81.5 KB · Views: 33
  • P1000196.JPG
    P1000196.JPG
    134.9 KB · Views: 26
  • lg_73746_Blue_Tang.jpg
    lg_73746_Blue_Tang.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 25

NashobaTek

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Angels of most types, wrasses and even though they get drab and require a large tank.. pinnatus batfish, gorgeous juvie colors. Orbicularis batfish are the second batfish I would have,they also get drab colors as adults but have very unique body shapes and eat algae. Starting to transition to adult coloring
IMG_20200814_192117.jpg

SeaMaiden92

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Apparently my top 3 are no surprise:

1. Clownfish
2. Tang
3. Wrasse

I voted and saw all three were popular. Then I saw the first post in the thread, and there were all three. Wow, I am boring !

So to add some new ground, I suggest a future poll ask, "Pick 3 types of fish that are in your Bottom 3 Reef Aquarium Fish?" A.K.A. "These fish will never be in my tank."

Furthermore, to avoid being scooped again, here are my top "Heck No, Not In My Tank" candidates:

a. Hagfish (Myxini)
b. Angler fish (Linophrynidae)
c. Monkfish (Lophius)

Yours in Forming a Passenger List for the Good Ship Oceana,
Jim
Might I ask why you would never have those 3 fish? Especially the angler. Just out of curiosity because I have thought a little about wanting to get an "ugly" fish. I think they are kinda cute.

ProxyAquarist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Might I ask why you would never have those 3 fish? Especially the angler. Just out of curiosity because I have thought a little about wanting to get an "ugly" fish. I think they are kinda cute.

a. Hagfish (Myxini) - It has a slime that it expels in a defense mechanism. I guess I'd prefer not to channel Peter Venkman and have to say, "He slimed me!" The cleanup would not be pretty either. :)

b. Angler fish (Linophrynidae) - I prefer not to have a carnivorous fish with large teeth that can reach 3 feet in length. Beyond preservation of my limbs that may enter the tank, if I wanted a "night light" in the tank, I'd get luminous jelly fish or shrimp.

c. Monkfish (Lophius) - Another fish that grows from 3-5 feet; however, it has the major negative of being able to swallow fish its own size or slightly bigger due to an extensible stomach. Strangely enough, I prefer fish that do not consume the rest of the tank population. The shape may enable it to hug the bottom and vacuum up my friends and tank budget.

Luckily, there are plenty of beauty challenged fish that are size appropriate, non-slimming, and will not eat your other inhabitants. You should find a "cute" one among them.

Yours in no fish shaming,
Jim

Buckster

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
a. Hagfish (Myxini) - It has a slime that it expels in a defense mechanism. I guess I'd prefer not to channel Peter Venkman and have to say, "He slimed me!" The cleanup would not be pretty either. :)

b. Angler fish (Linophrynidae) - I prefer not to have a carnivorous fish with large teeth that can reach 3 feet in length. Beyond preservation of my limbs that may enter the tank, if I wanted a "night light" in the tank, I'd get luminous jelly fish or shrimp.

c. Monkfish (Lophius) - Another fish that grows from 3-5 feet; however, it has the major negative of being able to swallow fish its own size or slightly bigger due to an extensible stomach. Strangely enough, I prefer fish that do not consume the rest of the tank population. The shape may enable it to hug the bottom and vacuum up my friends and tank budget.

Luckily, there are plenty of beauty challenged fish that are size appropriate, non-slimming, and will not eat your other inhabitants. You should find a "cute" one among them.

Yours in no fish shaming,
Jim
I'm actually heading to Foxboro next weekend from SC!

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 22 31.4%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 56 80.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 11 15.7%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 10.0%
  • Other

Votes: 4 5.7%
Back